PDA

View Full Version : Pat Kirwin talks to Schonert at Combine about TE's

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story;jsessionid=DAB7E422D4E116B40E36CCA1B76E8320?id=09000d5d806d6c9e&template=with-video&confirm=true

Scroll down and there's a blurb about Kirwin's comment. We already know Buffalo is looking TE in the draft but this just shores up thoughts that it's gonna be one of our first three picks IMO.

Also, Kirwin mentions Dan Connors a legit high round one prospect.

Philagape
02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
People clamoring for a DT/DE/LB early may take umbrage, but I wouldn't mind at all if we overloaded on offense between FA and day 1 of the draft. Two WRs and a TE would transform it.

jpdex12
02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
You mean like...

FA-Wilford

Rd1-Kelly
Rd2-Keller

Whoa!

Night Train
02-24-2008, 04:41 AM
People clamoring for a DT/DE/LB early may take umbrage, but I wouldn't mind at all if we overloaded on offense between FA and day 1 of the draft. Two WRs and a TE would transform it.

We have FA and the Draft to fill ALL the needs. We don't have to pick between Offense and Defense.

kernowboy
02-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Loading up on offence is a great theoretical idea ... except if our defence cannot get the opposition offence off the park then its absolutely useless.

We need to use both FA and the draft to balance both sides of the ball, but to do it intelligently so every one of our 11 picks has value, either as a starter or as appropriate depth.

Due to Free Agency being thin in quantity and quality but having a reasonable choice of linebackers, it seems sensible to draft in an area of Free Agency weakness such as DT, where otherwise we risk overpaying in a free agent class of quantity over quality.

Likewise we don't need to pick too early at WR such is the depth of this group. Additionally, with the likes of Stallworth being cut, we can get a legitimate No2, and ease in our draft pick. We can get a WR here in the 3rd round who would have been a R1 selection in the 2006 draft such is the depth.

However we should be wary of drafting linebackers early as it is a weak draft at this position and we should be very cautious of overpaying here as we can pick up a decent free agent and then look at this position in 2009 when there is a much greater choice and hence not such a premium on this position.

I wouldn't mind Connor as a selection, but I think we would be better placed to wait until 2009, when his teammates Sean Lee and Tyrell Sales come out. Again the problem with spending a high pick on a LB is that he is almost guaranteed to start, leaving the linebackers still exposed, but even more inexperienced than last season.

Many are advocating scraping the botton of the barrel for a DT in Free Agency, but a better route would be to draft a rookie here to play in an experienced line (Denney/Kelsay, Tripplett, Schobel) and pick up an experienced linebacker to help bring Posluzny along.

At LB, Teddy Lehman can be signed for a medium price, allowing Crowell to be shifted to the weakside. If we are unable to resign Crowell, we can draft someone like Lee, and the pick would join a LB corps with more experience easing his transition.

At TE, with Royal and Gaines likely to be onboard, a R3 or even R4 selection could be spent on a guy to be eased into the offence.

So in the draft ...

R1. DT
R2. best player available on the defensive side - CB, DT, DE, LB
R3a. WR
R3b. TE

and in FA an experienced LB to play SLB or WLB should be the priority.

Nighthawk
02-24-2008, 07:56 AM
You mean like...

FA-Wilford

Rd1-Kelly
Rd2-Keller

Whoa!

I'm thinking that Keller is not going to be there in Round 2 after his performance yesterday. I'd love to have a TE like him and it would sure help this team out. However, I really believe this team needs to take a defensive player in the 1st round.

wbat27
02-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I think alot of the defenses problem was that they were on the field to much. So i think that getting a better offense would help us obtain a better defenese, by just keeping the d rested and inspiring the d by doing there job and scoring touchdowns.

jpdex12
02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I think alot of the defenses problem was that they were on the field to much. So i think that getting a better offense would help us obtain a better defenese, by just keeping the d rested and inspiring the d by doing there job and scoring touchdowns.

Thank you! Some common sense. It's true that we need a big DT to slow down the run when our D is out there but we had too many three and outs again last year so two day one draft picks on offense will help the defense. Of course we can accomplish this in FA as well and then use the draft to fill positions with depth on a BPA basis. I would prefer this.

jpdex12
02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Loading up on offence is a great theoretical idea ... except if our defence cannot get the opposition offence off the park then its absolutely useless.

We need to use both FA and the draft to balance both sides of the ball, but to do it intelligently so every one of our 11 picks has value, either as a starter or as appropriate depth.

Due to Free Agency being thin in quantity and quality but having a reasonable choice of linebackers, it seems sensible to draft in an area of Free Agency weakness such as DT, where otherwise we risk overpaying in a free agent class of quantity over quality.

Likewise we don't need to pick too early at WR such is the depth of this group. Additionally, with the likes of Stallworth being cut, we can get a legitimate No2, and ease in our draft pick. We can get a WR here in the 3rd round who would have been a R1 selection in the 2006 draft such is the depth.

However we should be wary of drafting linebackers early as it is a weak draft at this position and we should be very cautious of overpaying here as we can pick up a decent free agent and then look at this position in 2009 when there is a much greater choice and hence not such a premium on this position.

I wouldn't mind Connor as a selection, but I think we would be better placed to wait until 2009, when his teammates Sean Lee and Tyrell Sales come out. Again the problem with spending a high pick on a LB is that he is almost guaranteed to start, leaving the linebackers still exposed, but even more inexperienced than last season.

Many are advocating scraping the botton of the barrel for a DT in Free Agency, but a better route would be to draft a rookie here to play in an experienced line (Denney/Kelsay, Tripplett, Schobel) and pick up an experienced linebacker to help bring Posluzny along.

At LB, Teddy Lehman can be signed for a medium price, allowing Crowell to be shifted to the weakside. If we are unable to resign Crowell, we can draft someone like Lee, and the pick would join a LB corps with more experience easing his transition.

At TE, with Royal and Gaines likely to be onboard, a R3 or even R4 selection could be spent on a guy to be eased into the offence.

So in the draft ...

R1. DT
R2. best player available on the defensive side - CB, DT, DE, LB
R3a. WR
R3b. TE

and in FA an experienced LB to play SLB or WLB should be the priority.

Say Whaaat?

gr8slayer
02-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Trent Edwards or any other QB that starts this year will thank us for upgrading at our skill positions. As of right now we're horrible.