PDA

View Full Version : All time great bills

Mitchell55
02-24-2008, 12:09 PM
QB- Jim Kelly, Kemp(not sure, just here alot of him so he might of been good), Flutie/ anyone else?
RB- Thomas, OJ, soon to be Lynch
FB- Gash, Centers, Muellar
WR- Reed, Chandler, Lofton, Moulds,
TE- Mets, Reimersma,
OL- Bills 90s and Peters and Doc
DE- Bruce, Wiley, Schoebel
DT- Adams, Williams,
LB- Bennett, Talley, Fletcher
CB- Clements, Winfield, Odams
S- Whitner, Smith, Kelso
K- Christie, Lindell
P- Moorman, Mohr
LS- (the LS for us before Niel, Scmeck or something)

I dont know anyone before the 90s besides from OJ, Chandler, Kemp, and Bubba(dont know were he would go).

BADTHINGSMAN
02-24-2008, 12:11 PM
CB- Butch Byrd, Thomas Smith

BlackMetalNinja
02-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Considering Flutie as an all time great around here probably won't get you very far... In fact, I'd say about half your list never did any where near enough to be considered an "all time" great.

Mitchell55
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Considering Flutie as an all time great around here probably won't get you very far... In fact, I'd say about half your list never did any where near enough to be considered an "all time" great.

I dont know any one before 90s besides from what I said at the end.

kgun12
02-24-2008, 12:34 PM
I would agree with BMN very much that the Mullet aka Flutie doesn't warrant the right to smell Kelly's joc let alone be put in the All time greats list!

At the safety position, I would put Tony Greene there!

Johnny Bugmenot
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, they did list Flutie as 3rd-string on that list, FWIW. Personally, I think Ferguson belongs on that list higher than Flutie.

And you rank Marcellus Wiley over Phil Hansen?

I understand your knowledge of teams past is fairly weak, but...
Larry "Catch 100 passes 5 yards behind the line" Centers over Cookie Gilchrist?
How about Mike Stratton as a backup LB?
Derrick Dockery over Joe Delamielleure?

I've got to question some of your choices here.

But I will add these:

Some special teams choices:
KR/PR - Parrish, McGee
ST - Tasker

Night Train
02-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I take it you were BORN in the 1990's.

LOL at Flutie

im4bflo
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
the '64, '65 AFL CHAMPION teams.

Buffatexas
02-24-2008, 03:32 PM
WR - Jerry Butler, Frank Lewis

Jan Reimers
02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
You forgot, at least, Elbert Dubenion (WR), Cookie Gilchrist (RB), Mike Stratton (LB), Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway and Ron McDole (DL), Billy Shaw, Jim Ritcher, Joe D. and Al Bemiller (O line), George Saimes (S), and probably Joe Ferguson (QB) and Shane Conlan (LB).

That's from memory. There are others if I were to look them up.

Mitchell55
02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
You forgot, at least, Elbert Dubenion (WR), Cookie Gilchrist (RB), Mike Stratton (LB), Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway and Ron McDole (DL), Billy Shaw, Jim Ritcher, Joe D. and Al Bemiller (O line), George Saimes (S), and probably Joe Ferguson (QB) and Shane Conlan (LB).

I said the 90s OL. Also I forgot about cookie. And Conlan was a bust.

im4bflo
02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I said the 90s OL. Also I forgot about cookie. And Conlan was a bust.

When you're talking OL, don't forget the Electric Company!

chernobylwraiths
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
QB- Jim Kelly, Kemp(not sure, just here alot of him so he might of been good), Flutie/ anyone else?
NOT Flutie I liked Ferguson but he is not an all time great either.
Gilchrist, Thomas OJ
Braxton and Gash only
Reed, Dubinion, Butler, Moulds
TE- Mets, Reimersma,
Metzellars and maybe Seymour as a blocker
Wolford, Hull, Ritcher, Shaw (HOF hello?!) don't know this very well
Bruce, Hansen, McDole?, Ben Williams?
DT- Adams, Williams,
Smerlas, Ted Washington
Mike Stratton, Talley, Haslett, Spikes
Byrd, Romes, Clements, Odoms
S- Whitner, Smith, Kelso
Freeman, Jones, Greene
K- Christie, Lindell
Christie, Gogolak
P- Moorman, Mohr
Maguire, Kidd, Moorman
Lingner

I dont know anyone before the 90s besides from OJ, Chandler, Kemp, and Bubba(dont know were he would go).

chernobylwraiths
02-24-2008, 04:56 PM
When you're talking OL, don't forget the Electric Company!

Damn, you're right, I forgot McKensie and HOF Delomelour or however the hell you spell it.

Mitchell55
02-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Thats good besides from the RB, WR, DE, DT, LB, and P. There is no way Gildrest tops OJ and Thomas. Chandler needs to be on the list of WR (he is statistically 2nd in alot of bills catagories). Hanson was a DT. Williams tops Washington. Bennett not on the list of LBs and Talley is above him. LOL. Bennett will be in the running for HOF. Talley wont. And Moorman should be in top 2 of punters.

chernobylwraiths
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Thats good besides from the RB, WR, DE, DT, LB, and P. There is no way Gildrest tops OJ and Thomas. Chandler needs to be on the list of WR (he is statistically 2nd in alot of bills catagories). Hanson was a DT. Williams tops Washington. Bennett not on the list of LBs and Talley is above him. LOL. Bennett will be in the running for HOF. Talley wont. And Moorman should be in top 2 of punters.

I never said Gilchrist topped OJ or Thomas, but he WAS great. Chandler MIGHT make the list, but there are many who deserve to be on that list. Now you make yourself look silly with the rest. Hanson was a DE and played DT only in some situations. Williams tops Washington? :rofl: Bennett had some stats and had the name but Talley was the heart of that team. I didn't list them in order, just listed them as I remembered them. And I missed a lot. Like I meant James and not Jones for safety.

Jan Reimers
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Just a couple of things:

Phil Hansen was a DE. Played opposite Bruce.
Shane Conlan, regardless of whether or not he was an all-time Bill, was most definitely NOT a bust.
Talley has been on the preliminary HOF list. He may never make it, but he had more heart than any Bill, ever.
Tom Sestak is the Bills' best DT ever, ahead of Williams, Washington and Smerlas.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I never said Gilchrist topped OJ or Thomas, but he WAS great. Chandler MIGHT make the list, but there are many who deserve to be on that list. Now you make yourself look silly with the rest. Hanson was a DE and played DT only in some situations. Williams tops Washington? Bennett had some stats and had the name but Talley was the heart of that team. I didn't list them in order, just listed them as I remembered them. And I missed a lot. Like I meant James and not Jones for safety.

The other thing to remember is that Gilchrist was a fullback, not a halfback like Thomas or Simpson, which made his success even more impressive.

chernobylwraiths
02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I tend to think of them as running back and blocking back. Gilchrist was probably labeled a full back because of his size, but he was that "ahead of his time" kind of player with speed and power. He could have been an all time great if he remained healthy.

He must have been bigger than just about anybody else on the field. 6'-3" 251 lbs.

OpIv37
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
TE- Mets, Reimersma,
DT- Adams, Williams,
S- Whitner, Smith, Kelso
K- Christie, Lindell
P- Moorman, Mohr

Whitner absolutely does NOT belong on that list. He's done nothing for us yet.
And didn't we go over the Bruce/Schobel thing yesterday? Schobel doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bruce- if you ask me, Bruce is the only DE we've ever had worthy of being an "all time great".

I'd add Spikes at LB- he was dominant his first two seasons here.

njsue
02-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Bryce Paup

Johnny Bugmenot
02-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I tend to think of them as running back and blocking back. Gilchrist was probably labeled a full back because of his size, but he was that "ahead of his time" kind of player with speed and power. He could have been an all time great if he remained healthy.

He must have been bigger than just about anybody else on the field. 6'-3" 251 lbs.

Indeed. He was the prototype for the Jerome Bettis and Brandon Jacobs types that came much later. He was, indeed, an incredible talent.

It's a shame he hasn't been considered for the Hall, but I guess the HOF doesn't like to consider CFL careers and tends to be relatively skiddish on those who only played in the AFL.

im4bflo
02-24-2008, 11:11 PM
How many of you younger Bills fans remember, and can name the 3 players that made up the BERMUDA TRIANGLE???

im4bflo
02-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Damn, you're right, I forgot McKensie and HOF Delomelour or however the hell you spell it.

the ELECTRIC COMPANY

TE- SEYMOUR, LT- FOLEY, LG- McKENZIE, RG- DeLamielleure, RT- GREEN
first 8 games C- JARVIS and MONTLER the rest.

LtFinFan66
02-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Mentioning Lynch in the same breath as OJ and Thurman is WAY premature

Historian
02-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Best Cornerback: Robert James
Best Kickoff Returner: Wallace Francis
Best O Lineman Ever: Joe Devlin

Johnny Bugmenot
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Mentioning Lynch in the same breath as OJ and Thurman is WAY premature

It's like mentioning John Avery in the same sentence as Larry Csonka.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
How many of you younger Bills fans remember, and can name the 3 players that made up the BERMUDA TRIANGLE???

I guess I wouldn't be considered younger (maybe to you :D) but I picked two of them on my list. I didn't think Shane played long enough and great enough to make the list.

bocephuz
02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
TE- Mets, Reimersma,
DT- Adams, Williams,
S- Whitner, Smith, Kelso
K- Christie, Lindell
P- Moorman, Mohr

I'm not as familiar with players from the 60's but here's my list

QB: Kelly, Kemp, Ferguson
RB- Thomas, Simpson,Henry
FB- Gilchrist, Gash
WR- Reed, Chandler,Dubenion,Moulds
TE- Metzelars,Riemersma
OL- Joe Delameillure, Reggie McKenzie, Kent Hull, Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher

DE- B. Smith, Phil Hansen,
DT- P.Williams, Jeff Wright
CB- Clements, Winfield, Odomes
S- Smith, Kelso
K- Christie, Lindell
P- Moorman, Mohr
ST: Tasker, M. Pike,McGee, Parrish

sdbillsfan2
02-25-2008, 03:16 PM

Great memory Jan... Don't forget that the "mad bomber" was once a Bill .
LaMonica was a favorite of mine as a kid! Marlon Briscoe ring any bells?

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm not as familiar with players from the 60's but here's my list

QB: Kelly, Kemp, Ferguson
RB- Thomas, Simpson,Henry
FB- Gilchrist, Gash
WR- Reed, Chandler,Dubenion,Moulds
TE- Metzelars,Riemersma
OL- Joe Delameillure, Reggie McKenzie, Kent Hull, Will Wolford, Jim Ritcher

DE- B. Smith, Phil Hansen,
DT- P.Williams, Jeff Wright
CB- Clements, Winfield, Odomes
S- Smith, Kelso
K- Christie, Lindell
P- Moorman, Mohr
ST: Tasker, M. Pike,McGee, Parrish
I'd replace McKenzie with Billy Shaw (a Hall of Famer); Wright with Tom Sestak, who was a great DT; Fletcher with Mike Stratton; Winfield with Robert James; and Kelso-Smith with George Saimes and Steve Freeman.

I'd probably also move Gilchrist to RB in place of Henry, and Jim Braxton to FB. Maybe Keith McKellar to TE in place of Riemersma, as well.

You could argue Gogolak over Lindell and Smerlas over Williams, too, but these things are so subjective, and I like most of your list.

tat2dmike77
02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Doug Flutie :lmao:

How about Jack Kemp you forgot Golden Wheels dubenion *sp*

Mitchell55
02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
This wasnt supposed to be a critizising post. It was supposed to be a post your all time great post. Sorry for not making it clear :oops:

OpIv37
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
This wasnt supposed to be a critizising post. It was supposed to be a post your all time great post. Sorry for not making it clear :oops:

this is a message board for discussion. If you post something, people will post their opinions of it. And rightfully so, because if no one ever offered up a different opinion, there would be nothing to discuss. So learn to deal with it.

im4bflo
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
this is a message board for discussion. If you post something, people will post their opinions of it. And rightfully so, because if no one ever offered up a different opinion, there would be nothing to discuss. So learn to deal with it.

From this post. my opinion of you is, you are a jerk :snicker2:

OpIv37
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
From this post. my opinion of you is, you are a jerk :snicker2:

Only from this post? Funny- I figured you'd think I was a jerk from the previous 34,000+ posts.

im4bflo
02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Only from this post? Funny- I figured you'd think I was a jerk from the previous 34,000+ posts.

you are! (jk)