• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Bills face front-office talent gap as draft approaches

larry felser has been pretty damn sharp when it comes to the bills over the years so his comments here made me suddenly concerned about the shape of the bills talent evaluation process

make me feel better please

For the Buffalo Bills, this draft is step three in the drive to return to the playoffs, something in which they have not competed in since the turn of this century. The first two steps were the college drafts of 2006 and 2007, in which they did very well, with 14 draftees or college free agents contributing markedly to a pair of 7-9 seasons.

The Bills need another draft comparable to its previous two in order to become competitive in the Eastern Division of the American Conference, which appears to have grown stronger. Despite its loss in the Super Bowl, which stained its perfect season, New England remains a titan of a team. Scott Pioli, its young general manager who may leave for a job that pays much more, will remain with the Patriots long enough to join with coach Bill Belichick in doing the selecting.

Miami, which suffered through its worst season, began to make repairs by signing Bill Parcells to run the team. He in turn hired Ron Wolf as a consultant. Wolf is semi-retired but he is the man who traded for quarterback Brett Favre and returned the Green Bay Packers to their former glory.

The Bills, in turn, appear to be an organization in turmoil when it comes to further assembling helpful talent. When Marv Levy resigned as general manager after the 2007 season, owner Ralph Wilson, rather than hire a replacement, decided the Bills should have a GM by committee.

The committee plan is that Tom Modrak, the Bills’ most experienced evaluator and a member of the organization for seven years, will have a say on the Bills’ selection in each round but so will the rest of the scouts as well as coach Dick Jauron. If there is not a consensus, the decision would be made by Russ Brandon, the organization’s top business executive.

Brandon has done an outstanding job in marketing and merchandising and assorted other aspects of the business side. When the late John Butler left the Bills for the San Diego Chargers, he wanted to take Brandon with him. Brandon elected to stay with the Bills. As a collegian at St. John Fisher he played baseball and football. When they were together here, Butler gave him some tutoring as a scout.

As the final decider in the draft, Brandon would be matching wits and experience with Paoli, Belichick, Parcells and maybe Wolf. It sounds like a formula for disaster. It also sounds like some of the other formulas involving the identification and acquisition of talent during the Wilson era. I’m not sure Ralph fully appreciates the full importance of a first-rate talent man, even though he’s employed some very good ones.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills face front-office talent gap as draft approaches

Eh I think that's looking at it as negatively as possible. I don't think that the situation is all that bad. Marv's still sticking around long enough for this draft, too, correct?

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

I find it ironic that Felsar didn't make any mention of the loss of Marc Ross last year but guess he didn't think anything of it because we had good ole Marv. As Ross was one of our former national college scouts but lost him last May when he left to work for the Super Bowl champion NY Giants as director of college scouting.

Comment

There's nothing to suggest that Brandon will not be a clever guy when it comes to the draft.

He has Modrak alongside him, and whilst he drafted during the Donahoe here, I think that a GM who is too strong and opinionated will not listen to their evaluators and scouts as much as they should. Brandon is surrounded by intelligent talent evaluators who I think have arrived at a clear philosophy of what they want and require.

And lets not overvalue the likes of Parcells - while he drafted well in Terrence Newman, Jason Witten, Ware, and Spears, he also drafted poorly in Julius Jones, Jacob Rogers and Bobby Carpenter. And he was also able to take advantage of so-called experienced GMs like Tom Donahoe (The Losman trade).

I am happy to go with Brandon. He knows the Bills. He knows the roster. He knows the coaches.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Larry Felser also has a gap - between his ears.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Not a big deal...That's the manner in which a war room should be run, and there are going to differing opinions if players rated the same are available at a certain pick.

NFL teams spend a lot of time and money and utilize the input of all of their personnel people to put together their 'big board' for the draft and most picks should be pretty cut and dried when their turn comes up if they follow their board.

If a situation does arrive where there is a split between two players ranked equally and Brandon is forced to make the pick...If the guy he chooses goes bust and the guy he passes becomes a star, there is more blame to be laid at the feet of the personnel who evaluated and had that bust ranked that high to begin with than it is on Brandon for making the pick.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              • May 2003

I really can't see any scenario where Brandon will be forced to make the pick. Jauron and Modrak will devise a system - implicit or explicit - where agreement will be reached before it comes to "Well, we're totally deadlocked, so you'll have to call it, Russ."
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Felser is dead on here, no other team has to run a system like ours. New Atlanta Falcons GM Tom Dimitroff was on the radio the other day and was asked how is it like in the War Room on Draft day. He said that in New England everybody gave their input and suggestion but it was Scott Pioli's final call. Even Belichek couldn't over rule him. He said he'll be instituting the same system in Atlanta, he has final say over all decisions personell wise. We dont have that here and that scares the hell out of me. Brandon has no real experience as a talent evaluator and knowing how important the drafts we are going to leave a tie vote to him and hope he makes a good call? Do you guys know how often coaching staffs and FO disagree on who they want to pick? Almost every year this happens, so to assume that DJ and Modrak will work out a system so that everything is kosher is very naive thinking.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Funny how Ralph will again make a healthy profit. He runs the Bills thin to line his pockets.

Most teams have a true GM. We don't.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    • May 2003

Consensus management, where you have bright, qualified, and reasonable people, often works as well as - or better than - autocratic management.

Just look at Marv's drafts vs. Donahoe's.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      Consensus management, where you have bright, qualified, and reasonable people, often works as well as - or better than - autocratic management.

Just look at Marv's drafts vs. Donahoe's.
                      Marv had the final say in the calls, it wasnt as consensus as you're making it out to be. Marv had what essentially equates to an unchallengable veto power.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Marv had the final say in the calls, it wasnt as consensus as you're making it out to be. Marv had what essentially equates to an unchallengable veto power.
                        Perhaps in theory, but I doubt very much if Marv ever used it. That's just not his style.

In fact, I think I remember him talking about taking Wright in the 4th round last year rather than a CB, and it sounded as if Wright was not really his choice.

I really like Modrak as a talent evaluator, and think that Jauron is a really bright guy, too. Unless we had hired an unquestionably superior talent evaluator as GM, I think we're good with this approach.

We should at least wait until the draft before we go Wys on it.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          Perhaps in theory, but I doubt very much if Marv ever used it. That's just not his style.

In fact, I think I remember him talking about taking Wright in the 4th round last year rather than a CB, and it sounded as if Wright was not really his choice.

I really like Modrak as a talent evaluator, and think that Jauron is a really bright guy, too. Unless we had hired an unquestionably superior talent evaluator as GM, I think we're good with this approach.

We should at least wait until the draft before we go Wys on it.
                          In Theory? What the hell does that mean? He was the final decision maker on the process whether he frequently agreed or not is not the discussion. Nor one we can have since we weren't there.

Why should we wait till the draft? We have yet to draft a difference maker to this team yet. Lynch is the closest thing to it, and I still think we should of waited till this year to take a RB. We have some nice complimentary pieces in Williams, McCargo, Simpson, Whitner, and Butler. But no stars, no leaders, no pro bowl players. Ok one in Jason Peters, forgot him. Whats their to exactly be pleased with so far through our drafts? The drafting of avg-good players? Forgive me for not getting excited about that, but I expect a hell of a lot more. If I can put in the time and find the guys in late rounds that will be good (example #1 Marques Colston) as a hobby then I damn sure expect them to do the same as their job. Maybe thats just me though.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• baalworship
                            • May 2003

I think Modrak has done well last 2 drafts and I am very happy with Lynch, Posluzny, Edwards, Ko Simpson, McCargo, and Whitner.

If Modrak and Brandon are together I doubt Brandon will overrule Modrak unless all the scouts disagree with Modrak.

Modrak has done well and is the person most responsible for setting up our board. The more power he has gotten the better we have drafted.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              In Theory? What the hell does that mean? He was the final decision maker on the process whether he frequently agreed or not is not the discussion. Nor one we can have since we weren't there.
                              My point was, if you have absolute control, absolute veto power, absolute decision making authority, etc. - but never use it - those powers are really theoretical. Judging from things Marv said about consensus building and other issues, remembering what he said about Wright, and knowing something about his personaliy, I would doubt that he EVER used them. But you're right. We can't know for sure.

If Marv seldom, or never, exercised his authority to overrule his draft people, I don't see why we can't do as well in this draft.

And if you are saying those drafts weren't all that great, that's a talent evaluation argument.

Comment

Working...
                              X