PDA

View Full Version : Could Dorsey fall to us??

Mitchy moo
02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Dorsey not concerned about tibia injury, but are NFL teams?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Glenn Dorsey (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=218), the LSU defensive tackle who is the potential No. 1 overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, revealed on Sunday that he suffered a hairline fracture of his right tibia in 2006. Dorsey, for one, is not concerned about the injury.
And the bottom line in his message was that NFL teams shouldn't be concerned about it, either.
<TABLE style="FLOAT: right; MARGIN: 10px; WIDTH: 20px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f2f2f2" _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR _extended="true"><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" _extended="true">http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/g_dorsey_080224_01_IA.jpg</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: #999999; PADDING-TOP: 5px" _extended="true">Darron Cummings / Associated Press</TD></TR><TR _extended="true"><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" _extended="true">Glenn Dorsey could be a No. 1 pick, but there are lingering concerns over his health.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d806dd618&template=with-video&confirm=true
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"I haven’t missed a game since I’ve been to LSU (in four years); I played every game since I’ve been at LSU," Dorsey said at the annual NFL Scouting Combine. "Injuries -- everybody gets nicked up, that’s the way I look at it. Who doesn’t go through the season without getting bumps and bruises? I don’t think it’s an issue at all."
Dorsey said the tibia injury took place when he bumped

OpIv37
02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
wishful thinking, Skoob.

And if he does fall that far, Buffalo should think twice- remember the last highly-ranked player who fell to us due to injury (McGahee)?

Mad Max
02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Dorsey not concerned about tibia injury, but are NFL teams?

Although anything is possible in the draft, I highly doubt he slips to 11. Even if he does history has shown that we'd pass on him and take some no name high character high motor guy :insane:

Mitchy moo
02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
wishful thinking, Skoob.

And if he does fall that far, Buffalo should think twice- remember the last highly-ranked player who fell to us due to injury (McGahee)?

Mcgahee was going to be shelved for a season or so no matter what, this was a weight room injury.

It can happen.

Mitchy moo
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Although anything is possible in the draft, I highly doubt he slips to 11. Even if he does history has shown that we'd pass on him and take some no name high character high motor guy :insane:

true :insane: , lol.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 03:28 AM
He won't fall that far.

Even if he misses out on the 3-4 teams picking at 6, 7 and 8, he'll be taken by the Bengals or the Saints.

The issue is, he is recognised as one of the top 6 players in the draft along with Chris Long, Jake Long, McFadden, Ellis and Gholston. Whilst a QB might mix it up as a team reaches for Ryan (the Falcons), there is no way he'll slide that far. I reckon the draft will go:

1. Chris Long - best fit for the 3-4 in Miami
2. Glenn Dorsey - the Rams will try to get another year out of Pace
3. Darren McFadden - the Falcons will look at next year and take the RB now, and they need a "star" to make people forget Vick.
4. Sedrick Ellis - they need to replace Sapp (this could be Dorsey though)
5. Jake Long - the Chiefs have to fix their OTs
6. Gholston - he'll go to a 3-4 team
7. Jenkins - with Samuel asking a kings ransom
8. Ryan - the Boller experiment is over
9. Rivers - their LBs are a disaster zone
10. McKeon - they have to fix their secondary.

tampabay25690
02-25-2008, 06:23 AM
I know DEVIN would be happy as hell.....

But not me I watched him all threw college and the guy is good but does take plays off....You won't here about him all threw a game then he will show up at the end.......I still like ELLSI better then him as a NFL DT.....

X-Era
02-25-2008, 06:31 AM
As much as Id love it, I just cant see it happening.

Adrian Peterson dropped out of the top 5, some including me hoped he would rop to us, its just too far for that much talent.

hydro
02-25-2008, 07:36 AM

But not me I watched him all threw college and the guy is good but does take plays off....You won't here about him all threw a game then he will show up at the end.......I still like ELLSI better then him as a NFL DT.....

Is it possibly because he is getting double-teamed which is giving his teammates a chance at making plays. Nah, that couldn't be...

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 07:48 AM
wishful thinking, Skoob.

You mean a top 10 RB in the NFL? Yea why would we want a guy like that anyways! You make a good point!

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 07:50 AM

But not me I watched him all threw college and the guy is good but does take plays off....You won't here about him all threw a game then he will show up at the end.......I still like ELLIS better then him as a NFL DT.....

Ellis is good but he's not better than Dorsey. Dorsey has faced a double team every play since pretty much the end of his sophomore year. Ive never seen him "take a play off" and get manhandled out of the play. He almost always maintains his point of attack position and while he does not always get to the ball carrier or make "the play" he usually ties his blockers up.

jamze132
02-25-2008, 10:11 AM
There is no way he drops to us at 11. And if he was getting close, someone below would jump ahead of us and pick him. But if he did by the magic of Disney fall to us, I would take him in a heart beat.

FlyingDutchman
02-25-2008, 10:35 AM
NO

Jaybird
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Won't happen!!!

Mike13
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Injured or not he wont fall out of the top 10, if anyone slides its Matt Ryan.(although there seems to be a small chance of that happening)

PECKERWOOD
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Dorsey is not falling to us.

Story over.

Bruce is Loose
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
NO
Thanks for this post - it adds so much knowledge and insight to the board. Its good to see well stated opinions and facts to back them up like in this post.

In any event, he didnt play in the senior bowl and isnt doing anything at the combine. If he has a bad pro day he certainly could drop. Every year someone from the top 5 projected drops... Mel Kiper and Maynock and DraftBoy and whoever else you might listen to dont always have the same opinions of players as the teams do, and that isnt clear until draft day.

cocamide
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for this post - it adds so much knowledge and insight to the board. Its good to see well stated opinions and facts to back them up like in this post.

In any event, he didnt play in the senior bowl and isnt doing anything at the combine. If he has a bad pro day he certainly could drop. Every year someone from the top 5 projected drops... Mel Kiper and Maynock and DraftBoy and whoever else you might listen to dont always have the same opinions of players as the teams do, and that isnt clear until draft day.

Maybe he meant NO (New Orleans) is gonna pick him.:str8face:

Al the Bills Fan
02-25-2008, 11:17 PM
There is no way that Dorsey will fall that far, I will be surprised if he is not pick in the top 5. You can always hope though!

Devin
02-26-2008, 12:21 AM

I can honestly say ive not heard/seen that. Ive seen every game hes played the past 2 years and most of his sophmore year.

Ive seen Dorsey be a big factor in a lot of games, course keep in mind double and sometimes triple teams will keep you quiet.

There isnt any quit in that kid, LSU bias or not, one of the great things you always hear about him is that he never quits on a play and I certainly agree having watched him for a few years now.

Dorseys only real flaw is generally some of his fundemental stuff, but that can be coached.

Mitchy moo
03-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I still feel that this is possible.

Nighthawk
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Won't happen.

X-Era
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Not even two words, but rather two letters... NO

There is just no way.

To be honest, Id rather have a more well rounded team talent wise. Thats just too much investment into the interior DL for my taste. Especially with other potentially great players at need positions likely to be there.

Mitchy moo
03-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Not even two words, but rather two letters... NO

There is just no way.

To be honest, Id rather have a more well rounded team talent wise. Thats just too much investment into the interior DL for my taste. Especially with other potentially great players at need positions likely to be there.

If he is there, the Bills grab him without a doubt. They might trade him away to Dallas for their 2 1st round picks but they grab him none the less.

X-Era
03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
If he is there, the Bills grab him without a doubt. They might trade him away to Dallas for their 2 1st round picks but they grab him none the less.

I cant disagree with the BPA concept. I have been a major fan of this approach.

However, I think its best applied ot teams that have no holes in the starting lineup.

I want to be clear that a "hole" is not merely a questionable player that is currently and has previously filled the starting role. To me a "hole" is a position where we no longer have the previous starter, and have no real prospect to fill the role.

WR is our largest "hole". After that we would look at places where the starter isnt quite good enough, CB, and TE seem to fit that.

But to draft a DT, when we have an up and coming starter in McCargo and a pro-bowler in Stroud, only to skip a true "hole" at WR is just a bit farther than I think the Bills will go.

But, could I make an arguement to do it? sure.

What if, Bryant Johnson is still unsigned on draft day and he has no suitors. What if Roy Williams can be had for a 2nd round pick.

If both those things are true and Dorsey falls to us, we land a potential perennial pro-bowl DT, and fill our "hole" either through signing a player, or trading for a pro-bowl WR.

Yes, I can deal with that.

But if we go and draft Dorsey, put him into the rotation where he only ever sees half the snaps, draft a lesser WR talent in the 2nd or later, or worse yet start Josh Reed and then suffer again on offense with Lee Evans being double teamed and our #2 being inept? No, I wont be happy with that.

Its a matter of seizing the day. If you make that move, you immediately decide to make bold moves in other ways to fill your needs.

Mitchy moo
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I cant disagree with the BPA concept. I have been a major fan of this approach.

However, I think its best applied ot teams that have no holes in the starting lineup.

I want to be clear that a "hole" is not merely a questionable player that is currently and has previously filled the starting role. To me a "hole" is a position where we no longer have the previous starter, and have no real prospect to fill the role.

WR is our largest "hole". After that we would look at places where the starter isnt quite good enough, CB, and TE seem to fit that.

But to draft a DT, when we have an up and coming starter in McCargo and a pro-bowler in Stroud, only to skip a true "hole" at WR is just a bit farther than I think the Bills will go.

But, could I make an arguement to do it? sure.

What if, Bryant Johnson is still unsigned on draft day and he has no suitors. What if Roy Williams can be had for a 2nd round pick.

If both those things are true and Dorsey falls to us, we land a potential perennial pro-bowl DT, and fill our "hole" either through signing a player, or trading for a pro-bowl WR.

Yes, I can deal with that.

But if we go and draft Dorsey, put him into the rotation where he only ever sees half the snaps, draft a lesser WR talent in the 2nd or later, or worse yet start Josh Reed and then suffer again on offense with Lee Evans being double teamed and our #2 being inept? No, I wont be happy with that.

Its a matter of seizing the day. If you make that move, you immediately decide to make bold moves in other ways to fill your needs.

How about trading Lee / JP for Roy & their 3rd rounder?

X-Era
03-11-2008, 09:42 PM
How about trading Lee / JP for Roy & their 3rd rounder?

I can deal with adding my favorite WR (Roy Williams) by trading Evans. What I cant agree with is trading Lee for a prospect or draft picks.

Yes, I would do it.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-12-2008, 05:18 AM
If Glenn Dorsey were to fall to the Bills at # 11, the entire city where I live would hear about it--from me screaming ecstatically.

But, it's not going to happen.

I could wish. I could pray. But, sadly, it's not going to happen.

I was hoping he would enter last year's darft so that the Bills could draft him, but he didn't. So, that's how much I wish that the Bills would have a chance to get him--even with M.Stroud in the fold.

Simply put, Dorsey is a MONSTER.

He's the best DT I've seen in college in the last 10-15 years at least. Chris Long is a nice player with a good player for a daddy, but give me Dorsey, especially for a 4-3 defense.

I've seen Dorsey play both DT spots as well as DE in LSU's Tampa 2 defense. He got rotated out at times in games, but he played more plays than any of their other D-linemen.

Were there plays when I saw him "take a play off"? It depends on what you mean by that: I saw him back off and hold his spot in the line, not rushing hard, when he was triple teamed--and he was triple teamed a lot, always at least double teamed, but I don't consider that "taking a play off" because he was occupying three blockers and still holding the middle of the line in case the QB moved in that direction. On the other hand, I can't even tell you how many times I saw him knife into the backfield and sack the QB or drop the RB for a loss.

Dorsey played the last part of the season hurt, after being illegally chop blocked by an Auburn OG, and, while he came out of the game more often, he was still able to be dominant, despite playing almost on one leg at times.

The guy is a force. I would take him with the # 1 pick even if he had to sit out a year, like McGahee, to get his knee operated on. He's going to be that good. The only health concern that I would have about him might be his back--there has been some mention of him having back spasms, which could be related to the leg injury that he got in the Auburn game.

That aside, IMHO the only guy who can stop Glenn Dorsey from being a HOFer is Glenn Dorsey.

And, by all reports that I have read about him, he's a hard worker who loves the game and a good guy.

I would be shocked if Dorsey isn't taken in the Top 5--by any one of the 4 teams picking after Miami. If he were to slide to # 11, it wouldn't take 2 seconds for his name to be on its way up to the commish--I'd have it written on the card as soon as the Saints' pick was coming out of Goodell's mouth.

And, I wouldn't worry about having McCargo and Stroud: with Dorsey rotating with those two, running on the Bills would be harder than running on the Jags has been the last few years! I'd grab Hardy if he's available in Round 2 (or F.Davis if Hardy isn't) and Rucker or Carlson in Round 3 (or Bowman if F.Davis were the guy in Round 2). And, I'd worry about CB, etc. later.

Unfortunately, Dorsey will be long gone by the time the Bills are on the clock at # 11.....

LtFinFan66
03-12-2008, 05:28 AM
I still feel that this is possible.and you are just as wrong as you were when you started the thread

Mitchy moo
03-12-2008, 07:26 AM
and you are just as wrong as you were when you started the thread

Then again the fins are ahead of us and we know they need another WR instead of a QB, so who knows

Jan Reimers
03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
What the heck has happened to the type size?

tampabay25690
03-12-2008, 07:35 AM
If someone does fall I think it will be him definitely...

Hey it could happen

Coach Sal
03-12-2008, 07:48 AM
There is no way he drops to us at 11. And if he was getting close, someone below would jump ahead of us and pick him. But if he did by the magic of Disney fall to us, I would take him in a heart beat.

I think this is 100% right.

Although I think the Bils would take him (and should) if he actually did fall that far, I also think there would be a lot of discussion in the room before making the selection considering the FA moves already made at that position.

The Bills would probably have some serious ofers thrown at them if Dorsey was still there at #11. And some of those offers wuold almost definitely include next year's first rounder.

Then, it would be a tough decision.

Mitchy moo
03-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Although I think the Bils would take him (and should) if he actually did fall that far, I also think there would be a lot of discussion in the room before making the selection considering the FA moves already made at that position.

The Bills would probably have some serious ofers thrown at them if Dorsey was still there at #11. And some of those offers wuold almost definitely include next year's first rounder.

If we did get him and keep him, there would not be enough time in Brady's life to sneeze on the field.

Coach Sal
03-12-2008, 08:00 AM
The last DT to fall that drastically was Warren Sapp, by the way.

He was considered the potential #1 overall pick, but failed a drug test very close to draft time (reportedly for marijuana and coacaine at the time, then just marijuana). Most NFL people still said he was so good he wouldn't fall past #5 or 6.

He went 12th to Tampa.

Obviously, the injury to Dorsey is not the same as failing a drug test before the draft. I'm just bringing it up for reference purposes.

Mitchy moo
03-12-2008, 08:27 AM
The last DT to fall that drastically was Warren Sapp, by the way.

He was considered the potential #1 overall pick, but failed a drug test very close to draft time (reportedly for marijuana and coacaine at the time, then just marijuana). Most NFL people still said he was so good he wouldn't fall past #5 or 6.

He went 12th to Tampa.

Obviously, the injury to Dorsey is not the same as failing a drug test before the draft. I'm just bringing it up for reference purposes.

I have not seen Dorsey as the #1 pick, so this becomes even more viable.

LtFinFan66
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Then again the fins are ahead of us and we know they need another WR instead of a QB, so who knowsJust in case you missed it last draft, we drafted a QB

LtFinFan66
03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I have not seen Dorsey as the #1 pick, so this becomes even more viable.If you look harder you will. There are mocks out there which have him going #1

Mitchy moo
03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
If you look harder you will. There are mocks out there which have him going #1

Well I'm sure if you look hard enough he is but he is not a consensus #1.

jamze132
03-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Touche'

if we were offered the other teams first rounder this year and next years, it would be very hard to pass up.

It's not like OBD is planning on Dorsey being there at #11 anyways so even if we move down a few spots and collect another 1st rounder next year, it wouldn't change anything very much as far as this draft is concerned. We could still pick up a nice reciever (which is what I think we are currently planning on, either Kelly or Sweed) later in the first round.