PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Losman and and Bills' FA Approach...

Midwesternbillsfan
02-25-2008, 05:10 AM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

We hear the Buffalo Bills are looking for a 4th pick in exchange for struggling, but still young quarterback J.P. Losman....Kansas City, Atlanta, San Francisco and Miami are all talking with them. However, we doubt he will bring any more than a 5th or 6th rounder....The Bills are close to $40 million under the cap, but many in Buffalo expect them to be quiet when free agency starts. Our source thinks that they will be looking at guys like Ben Troupe and Earnest Wilford and other lower tier free agents who wont eat up too much signing bonus money. They really need a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker like Lance Briggs, but they wont go to battle with San Francisco for him.
Draft Daddy is a credible site but who knows how much inner, esoteric knowledge of the Bills' plans for free agency this source actually has? It's nothing we haven't heard before, even if it's not what we want to hear; despite massive cap room ($39.4 million), even under our self-imposed policy of 'cash to the cap,' Buffalo won't target top-tier FA's. I don't hate Troupe or Wilford but we have at least the same amount of room under 'CTTC' this offseason as last offseason when we managed to give out sizeable contracts to Dockery (49M/7Y) and Walker (25M/5Y), as well re-sign Kelsay to the exorbitant tune of (23M/4Y). Well, someone help me out here... how does Buffalo approach the requisite minimum salary cap- 85% of the total cap- without extending Evans and probably Crowell, too? It seems like we can't. And if we're taking a modest approach to free agency... we had darn better be negotiating new deals for these two, that's all I really have to say.

YardRat
02-25-2008, 05:24 AM
New teams rarely get their value returned on a big-name high-dollar free agent. Let San Fran have Briggs, and I'll take the same money and fill three positions of need instead of just one.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Nothing new here, thats pretty much what I expected

Luisito23
02-25-2008, 06:05 AM
So what's really the point of being so much under the cap???.....

TacklingDummy
02-25-2008, 06:15 AM
So what's really the point of being so much under the cap???.....

The point is, you can use that money to resign the Super Stars you have drafted. Like Indy has with Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, Sanders, and Clark. The only problem is the Bills don't have a Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, Sanders, or Clark on the roster.

X-Era
02-25-2008, 06:28 AM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

We hear the Buffalo Bills are looking for a 4th pick in exchange for struggling, but still young quarterback J.P. Losman....Kansas City, Atlanta, San Francisco and Miami are all talking with them. However, we doubt he will bring any more than a 5th or 6th rounder....The Bills are close to $40 million under the cap, but many in Buffalo expect them to be quiet when free agency starts. Our source thinks that they will be looking at guys like Ben Troupe and Earnest Wilford and other lower tier free agents who wont eat up too much signing bonus money. They really need a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker like Lance Briggs, but they wont go to battle with San Francisco for him.
Draft Daddy is a credible site but who knows how much inner, esoteric knowledge of the Bills' plans for free agency this source actually has? It's nothing we haven't heard before, even if it's not what we want to hear; despite massive cap room ($39.4 million), even under our self-imposed policy of 'cash to the cap,' Buffalo won't target top-tier FA's. I don't hate Troupe or Wilford but we have at least the same amount of room under 'CTTC' this offseason as last offseason when we managed to give out sizeable contracts to Dockery (49M/7Y) and Walker (25M/5Y), as well re-sign Kelsay to the exorbitant tune of (23M/4Y). Well, someone help me out here... how does Buffalo approach the requisite minimum salary cap- 85% of the total cap- without extending Evans and probably Crowell, too? It seems like we can't. And if we're taking a modest approach to free agency... we had darn better be negotiating new deals for these two, that's all I really have to say.

WE heard similar reports last year, how did that go?

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
If all we're gonna get is a 5th or 6th rounder for JP, we should hang onto him for this season. He's a good, experienced backup.

DMBcrew36
02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
If all we're gonna get is a 5th or 6th rounder for JP, we should hang onto him for this season. He's a good, experienced backup.

Yeah but he doesn't want to be here. He will be a cancer. I don't see why we can't get a 4th.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM

With it being such a deep draft I disagree, plus if the reports are true and he doesn't want to be here, why force him to? We saw how it divided the locker room last year. Its time to truly move on.

Night Train
02-25-2008, 07:46 AM
The point of being under the Cap is to ID your good young players ALREADY on the roster and EXTEND them, like Lee Evans. Don't toss $$ away on overpriced big name/low return players.

Looking at players like Wilford,Troupe and other affordable alternatives is what the Bills should be doing. They'll start if signed. Then use the draft, like everyone else.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah but he doesn't want to be here. He will be a cancer. I don't see why we can't get a 4th.

Because he's not that good and has shown nothing to warrant his selection in the 1st. Was beat out by a rookie and began to split a locker room. He is inconsistent and may not have the right head on his shoulders to be a starting caliber NFL QB.

Night Train
02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I'd take a 4th or 5th for him.

I hold no ill will towards the guy but it's best we turn the page, for the sake of team unity. There will be other options for a backup.

ddaryl
02-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Lance Briggs didn't want ot be in Chicago last year and yet he had a great season and Birggs *****ed constantly to the media.

JP's agent made one commnet, but also said that JP would play out his contract but would rahter play elsewhere. One thing we all know is JP is not a cancer.

gr8slayer
02-25-2008, 08:06 AM
The point is, you can use that money to resign the Super Stars you have drafted. Like Indy has with Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, Sanders, and Clark. The only problem is the Bills don't have a Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Freeney, Sanders, or Clark on the roster.
We have Edwards :idunno:

This website really offers nothing new.

Gunzlingr
02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
It should help that Grossman was resigned :snicker:

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 08:14 AM
There may be good reasons to trade JP for a low draft pick. I'm somewhat on the fence.

But, as ddaryl said, he is not, nor will he be, a cancer.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 08:21 AM
There may be good reasons to trade JP for a low draft pick. I'm somewhat on the fence.

But, as ddaryl said, he is not, nor will he be, a cancer.

I dont know that he'll be a cancer but it will split the locker room. Look at how Evans reacted last year, you think those feelings are just gone all the sudden?

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I dont know that he'll be a cancer but it will split the locker room. Look at how Evans reacted last year, you think those feelings are just gone all the sudden?
Yup.

Forward_Lateral
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
If Miami wants him, the price had better double.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Yup.

Interesting line of thinking, just imagine its gone away, Ill try that come draft day and imagine Brandon, and Modrak just arent there till the picks start coming in and its confirmed unfortunately.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Interesting line of thinking, just imagine its gone away, Ill try that come draft day and imagine Brandon, and Modrak just arent there till the picks start coming in and its confirmed unfortunately.
People actually do move on. They accept things. Everyone - including JP and Evans - knows that Edwards is now the starter. I can't see them perpetuating the controversy of last year.

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
People actually do move on. They accept things. Everyone - including JP and Evans - knows that Edwards is now the starter. I can't see them perpetuating the controversy of last year.

People yes, athletes tend to be more fical about things, but we'll try your imagine theory out and see what happens.

jamze132
02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Id we can't get a 4th for JP, we should just hold onto him. Or if we can trade him for another young player with potential I would do it. But if neither one of those options are available, I say we keep him as a backup.

I am not convinved he would be a cancer, but if he did turn into one, we have until week 6 to trade him.

raphael120
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah because JP would be the best backup in the world.

Really don't see why people want to keep this guy around for yet another year...let it go people...let it go.... We can find just as capable a backup for probably less money.

And BTW, I think we shouldn't go big in FA because we'll need the big bucks to give to Evans and even Crowell. Evans will eat up a lot of money, not because he really deserves top 5 WR money, but because he will get it because the Bills will have to overpay to keep him here and are stupid when it comes to spending on their own. See: Schobel, Kelsay, Parrish, Price, Reed

DMBcrew36
02-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Lance Briggs didn't want ot be in Chicago last year and yet he had a great season and Birggs *****ed constantly to the media.

JP's agent made one commnet, but also said that JP would play out his contract but would rahter play elsewhere. One thing we all know is JP is not a cancer.

He wasn't a cancer because it was mid-season when he lost his job. When last season started, he thought he would be the starter. He isn't about to start a whole new season where he knows he is the backup here. It's like it was with Travis Henry. "Ok, I sat here and played good soldier all season, now get me the F**K out. I don't want to be here." That kind of attitude is not good for the team.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 11:03 AM
JP has never done anything to demonstrate that he has been - or will be - a cancer, and projecting Travis Henry's personality onto him isn't really fair.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 11:09 AM
I think whatever we do about JP does not guarantee that Evans will want to stay?

We have enough picks in this draft to retain him into May.

We can then get better value by trading him to a team who might have missed on their preferred option in the draft, or someone who's QB suffers an injury in pre-season training or the exhibition games. JP can then be turned into a higher round pick in the 2009 draft.

We can still sign a FA to a one year deal in addition and then cut this guy if JP isn't moved.

Elminster
02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah because JP would be the best backup in the world.

Really don't see why people want to keep this guy around for yet another year...let it go people...let it go.... We can find just as capable a backup for probably less money.

And BTW, I think we shouldn't go big in FA because we'll need the big bucks to give to Evans and even Crowell. Evans will eat up a lot of money, not because he really deserves top 5 WR money, but because he will get it because the Bills will have to overpay to keep him here and are stupid when it comes to spending on their own. See: Schobel, Kelsay, Parrish, Price, Reed
I agree with you, we're not doing any favors for ourselves by having a back-up whose skill-set and strengths aren't anything like our starter's. There's also the fact that he doesn't want to be here: we all know JP is a good guy, but asking him to stay here is, IMO, asking quite a lot of him, and I do think there'd be problems in the locker-room when Edwards inevitably struggles. JP's teammates won't forget so quickly that he was successful and they voted him team captain. They obviously like him quite a bit.

DMBcrew36
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
JP has never done anything to demonstrate that he has been - or will be - a cancer, and projecting Travis Henry's personality onto him isn't really fair.

Maybe not, but JP said he wants out. He doesn't want to be here. That counts for something.

BuffaloBlakely14
02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
More fuel for the fire.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Jan Reimers
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe not, but JP said he wants out. He doesn't want to be here. That counts for something.
I here you, but all I'm really saying is that the decision whether or not to trade JP should not depend very much on the "cancer" or "he wants out" issue. I think far more important factors are what we can get for him, whether we can find a backup as good, and whether we want to develop a younger guy just in case Trent doesn't pan out.

madness
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd rather sign a FA vet who wants to be here then have "experience" that doesn't.