PDA

View Full Version : Does Campbell really want to stay?

Dr. Lecter
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM
He does not want to make a counter offer.

Sorry, if it is that important to stay here, make an offer. If it is shot down, so be it. Just don't whine about not staying here.

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/284729.html
Negotiations between Brian Campbell and the Buffalo Sabres appear to be a one-way street, casting doubt on whether a new deal can get done before Tuesday's trade deadline.
The defenseman reportedly turned down a three-year offer from the Sabres last week, and he was asked this morning if he and his agent will counter that deal.
"No," Campbell said swiftly.

Meathead
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
at 5.75 thats very near his top regardless of where he plays. so the sabres said we will pay you the top but not for a long term contract. thats a fair compromise if you ask me if you believe him that he wants to stay

its his perogative to try to get both the top and the long term deal but thats not whats gonna happen here. i think he just realizes that and has decided he wants everything and is resigned to leaving. so be it

im gonna be pretty furious if they get nothing in return however

JD
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
He appeared emotionally effected, almost in tears in an interview I seen a few days ago. He said how it is effecting his life at home etc. I feel for the guy.

Philagape
02-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Didn't Campbell previously propose 5 years, 25 million? I thought the Sabres' offer WAS the counter

mchurchfie
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
He appeared emotionally effected, almost in tears in an interview I seen a few days ago. He said how it is effecting his life at home etc. I feel for the guy.
Right, I feel sorry for a guy that can't make up his mind whether or not he wants to stay for $5.75 million too. ;) All that money must be devastating. Poor Soupy.:pet:

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
A couple of weeks ago I told Campbell he wouldn't be in a Sabre uniform much longer and he didn't think I was correct with the way he looked and answered me. I am going to say with the response I got he does want to be here.

raphael120
02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
If I was him, I wouldve taken the last Sabres 3-year offer as an insult and I wouldn't even do anything until the Sabres came back again with something reasonable.

I think Campbell may very well be mad at the FO and is waiting for them to come around or he'll leave. Campbell made his move, 5 for 5mil and the Sabres rejected it. i think Campell believes the ball has stayed in the Sabres court and they have yet to make a move.

Mitchy moo
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
darcy will find a way to f-it up.

Dr. Lecter
02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
3 years at 5.75 million is not an insult.

If anything, it is still too much money for the Sabres 2nd best D-man.

BTW, the entire 5 years 25 million is from his agent and we know they never lie.

Philagape
02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Who would want to stay with an organization that makes this kind of offer: "Well, um, we uh, like you and all, but .... we're just not sure if, well, you're .... you know, worth a long-term commitment .... at this time .... We, um, just don't know, you know?"

raphael120
02-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Who would want to stay with an organization that makes this kind of offer: "Well, um, we uh, like you and all, but .... we're just not sure if, well, you're .... you know, worth a long-term commitment .... at this time .... We, um, just don't know, you know?"

Who do you want? Campbell, or Miller? Can't realistically have both.

When you get to the nuts and bolts of it, that's pretty much what the problem is with Campbells wanting so much money.

Michael82
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Who do you want? Campbell, or Miller? Can't realistically have both.

When you get to the nuts and bolts of it, that's pretty much what the problem is with Campbells wanting so much money.
Odds are that we will lose Miller too. Unless they pay him $8 million per year for 6 years. :sigh:

kernowboy
02-26-2008, 05:32 AM
I guess we cannot afford a Briere/Drury situation.

Do we have enough depth to cover the departure of Campbell? Is Numminen back to full fitness? Can Sekera or Paetsch step up to fill the void for the rest of the season. It would mean juggling the pairings though.

I've read on MSN Foxsports that the Flyers are interested in Campbell. A swap for Briere is the obvious solution but I'd be more interested in seeing if we can get Jeff Carter C and the prospect Ryan Parent D in exchange. We get ourselves a No1 C to try to sign long term and a thumper at D for the Amerks to maybe step up especially as the likes of Funk haven't made progress.

Regarding Miller, The Lightning are looking for a keeper. A deal for Karri Ramo and their prospect Riki Helenius again gives us options in the net.

One of Quinn's problems is he has left it too late to deal with these types of issues so players don't get resigned and walk for nothing. If we are unlikely to get Miller under the cap, best to move him and get maximum value for him.

We lost an No1A netminder but get two No1 netminders back