PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Gholston of Ohio St. - My God

Night Train
02-25-2008, 11:33 AM
He benched 37 reps, had a 35 1/2 inch vertical, standing jump of 10 feet 4 inches, and just ran a 4.67 40. He's moving around like an athletic LB at 6-4 268 lb.

That's just off the charts. Many throw the " freak " label around freely but it sticks like glue on this guy.

baalworship
02-25-2008, 11:46 AM
I am praying New England or the Jersey Jets don't get him. He is scary.

Don't Panic
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Scary indeed... I don't think he lasts until the Pats pick. The Jets on the other hand might be the team that gets him. Kills me that all 3 teams in our division are picking ahead of us at we're at #11.

Bmax
02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I am not shocked .. I saw it coming ...I have been watching Ohio st football for over 30 years...Never have i seen a player from Ohio st with his kind of athletic ablity at the Dline Position...

Man i wish we had a top 5 pick...This guy is Shawn Merriam plus...I hope Herman edwards or The falcons like him...

Bmax

DraftBoy
02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I think he's going to OAK at 4 or NYJ at 6

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I am just glad he doesn't play in Columbus anymore.

patmoran2006
02-25-2008, 05:35 PM
VERY good chance he ends up in our division to either NY or NE..

X-Era
02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
He benched 37 reps, had a 35 1/2 inch vertical, standing jump of 10 feet 4 inches, and just ran a 4.67 40. He's moving around like an athletic LB at 6-4 268 lb.

That's just off the charts. Many throw the " freak " label around freely but it sticks like glue on this guy.

Not a self back pat, but, I am not suprised even in the tiniest bit.

The guy is a athletic freak who plays big on the field. He has every look of a future star IMO.

I dont see anyway he falls to 11, bit if he did, hes one of the guys we should think long and hard about.

Keith Rivers
Malcolm Kelly
Vernon Gholston
Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey

Id be happy with any.

Its too early, they havent seen their stock rise enough yet, but heres two other names that will be worth tinking about at the 11 spot when all is said and done:

Brandon Flowers, CB, VT
Limas Sweed

LtFinFan66
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Don't discount the possibility of him going to Miami either

X-Era
02-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Don't discount the possibility of him going to Miami either

That, my friend, is worthy of discussion!

Miami is an enigma. There are many more safe bets for the #1 pick, but with Parcells in the mix, not bet is a safe bet.

Parcells could easily go with a guy he just plain likes more. Could it be Gholston? maybe.

Thing is, I just cant see this as their #1 need. Taylor isnt young, but he is still a top 10 DE in this league and hes on a team that almost didnt win a single game. Thats not a shot, its simply a statement about where they have needs. Since they have Taylor, I would drop DE down a ways.

DT, would seem a bigger need, and Dorsey has all that one would want.

I think Chris Long is a long shot for sure, Im not sure hes even the best DE, much less worthy of the #1 pick.

Im still not sold that they arent thinking QB. Its there biggest need by far, Parcells knows what it means. Matt Ryan may just get some discussion time when all is said and done. But, I cant get by the fact that Matt just inst worth that pick.

I would not be suprised by a trade down. Parcells has a link with the Cowboys, McFadden is having an unbelievable combine, and the Cowboys want him. Thats a trade partner that makes too much sense. There will be others, most likely it will be Dorsey suitors.

If I were the Fins, I would move down to 5-ish, maybe still get Dorsey or Ellis, or Matt Ryan and gain a butt-load of picks in the process to get more players.

The ONLY reason I have a quandry with the Fins is due to no clear cut #1, and no QB being a clear cut #1 pick.

Confused
02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
i think new england. and it sux.

jdbillsfan
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I think the Rams will pick him, if the Phins don't.

mysticsoto
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
That, my friend, is worthy of discussion!

Miami is an enigma. There are many more safe bets for the #1 pick, but with Parcells in the mix, not bet is a safe bet.

Parcells could easily go with a guy he just plain likes more. Could it be Gholston? maybe.

Thing is, I just cant see this as their #1 need. Taylor isnt young, but he is still a top 10 DE in this league and hes on a team that almost didnt win a single game. Thats not a shot, its simply a statement about where they have needs. Since they have Taylor, I would drop DE down a ways.

DT, would seem a bigger need, and Dorsey has all that one would want.

I think Chris Long is a long shot for sure, Im not sure hes even the best DE, much less worthy of the #1 pick.

Im still not sold that they arent thinking QB. Its there biggest need by far, Parcells knows what it means. Matt Ryan may just get some discussion time when all is said and done. But, I cant get by the fact that Matt just inst worth that pick.

I would not be suprised by a trade down. Parcells has a link with the Cowboys, McFadden is having an unbelievable combine, and the Cowboys want him. Thats a trade partner that makes too much sense. There will be others, most likely it will be Dorsey suitors.

If I were the Fins, I would move down to 5-ish, maybe still get Dorsey or Ellis, or Matt Ryan and gain a butt-load of picks in the process to get more players.

The ONLY reason I have a quandry with the Fins is due to no clear cut #1, and no QB being a clear cut #1 pick.

I think the interesting question will be, does Parcells want to sink in a huge contract with a DT. Typically, it is the QBs, RBs and even WRs that make the huge bucks. DTs are generally paid alot less, and yet, if he takes Dorsey at #1, they will have to sink in alot for him. How happy is Parcells with Beck? Clearly Parcells loves dominating DEs? Chris Long could be a viable choice also. Parcells could take this in any direction he chooses and who knows what impact his choice will have on the rest of the draft...

X-Era
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I think the interesting question will be, does Parcells want to sink in a huge contract with a DT. Typically, it is the QBs, RBs and even WRs that make the huge bucks. DTs are generally paid alot less, and yet, if he takes Dorsey at #1, they will have to sink in alot for him. How happy is Parcells with Beck? Clearly Parcells loves dominating DEs? Chris Long could be a viable choice also. Parcells could take this in any direction he chooses and who knows what impact his choice will have on the rest of the draft...

Why does the AFC East always get stuck going against the leagues best:

Belicheck, Brady, Moss, Seymour
Parcells

Ugghhh!

Wouldnt it be great to be in a division with 3 stinky teams?

mysticsoto
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Why does the AFC East always get stuck going against the leagues best:

Belicheck, Brady, Moss, Seymour
Parcells

Ugghhh!

Wouldnt it be great to be in a division with 3 stinky teams?

Parcells may be great, but he has his work cut out for him. The Phins are a mess and it'll take him atleast 2-3 years to get them back in contention - and that's assuming he hits gold on his draft picks.