PDA

View Full Version : 12 Lower-Key Vets Bills May Pursue in FA

patmoran2006
02-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I"ve been doing a little research and working on a peice about some under the radar guys the Bills might take a look at once free agency opens up on Friday.

Instead of just posting the peice when completed, I thought I'd share with you a list of about 10 players, and maybe get a couple of thoughts. I always like to hear input before completing something.. Never know what thoughts or information you may learn.

Also please note because this is important, this does NOT mean nor do I think it should mean the Bills won't go after at least 1-2 "bigger named" free agents. Finding a LEGIT #2 WR is a must and I'd expect to see no less than one other attention-garnering free agent signing.

But anyway...Here are 12 guys you may or may not know about that are set to enter free agency and might gain the Bills interest.

Travis Fisher, CB (Lions): Drafted in the second round in the 2002 draft, Fisher had 77 tackles and two interceptions. He could conceivably compete with Jabari Greer for a starting spot. Detroit is interested in bringing him back and at least a few teams will be interested in signing him as a second or third corner.

Spencer Johnson, DT (Vikings): This guy intrigues me perhaps as much as anyone on this list. He's a three-year veteran who's 26 years old. He went undrafted out of Auburn. He's been stuck behind the Williams' beasts (Pat and Kevin). In a backup role, he still had 3 sacks and a forced fumble last season. The downside is he's only 286 pounds. For him to be productive here, McCargo would have to be big and strong enough to play the 1-gap. Still, the few people I spoke with in the know about the Vikings said he plays bigger and is better against the run than people think. He's certainly worth a look if nothing else.

Jake Scott, G (Colts): He's going to get a decent contract and with the Colts signing both Dallas Clark and Ryan Lilja recently, the money may not be there. If the Bills decide Brad Butler isn't the answer at right guard, then the Bills could definitely peg Scott. He's a 5th rounder from 2004 who started at right guard for Indianapolis last year. Decent size at 295-pounds and will turn 27 in April. Personally, I think this guy should be VERY high on the radar, because even the offensive line improved as a whole, it still has weaknesses.

Ian Scott, DT (Eagles): There was a slight buzz among fans about wanting him last year. He signed with the Eagles and promptly injured his knee during training camp. Still, at 302-pounds he's a well above average run stopper and the Bills could certainly use the help. He's only 26-years old and as long as his knee is strong, would be an immediate upgrade over Kyle Williams.

Brandon Chillar, LB (Rams): 26-years old and crafty; I'm real surprised more people haven't talked about him. 67 tackles, 3 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks in 15 games last season. From everything I've heard and read, he made tremendous progress in his fourth season. With a weak free agent crop, he may end up getting somewhat overpaid wherever he ends up. Buffalo could be a contender.

Matt Lehr, C/G (Bucs): The Bills hoped Jason Whittle would be a solid backup who could play both guard and center. They may try again and if they do then Lerh is a solid candidate. He's 29 and has good size at 304 pounds.

Johnathan Godwin: C/G (Saints): Like Lehr, Goodwin could back up two positions. From what I've gathered, he was valuable backup who played well when he got into games, and the Saints are interested in bringing him back. But if the Saints resign Jeff Faine there's a good chance Goodwin could get a better payday elsewhere.

Landon Johnson, LB (Bengals): He's been described as "steady, not spectacular" by Bengal writers. He's led the team in tackles three of four seasons (109 last season and a sack) and according to Yahoo Sports, was offered a contract he deemed a lowball attempt. He just turned 27-years old.

Issac Sopoaga, DT (49ers): His name may not be known by many at this time, but when he gets a contract in the open market within the next week or so it will spread quickly. Simply put, Sopoaga may be the best defensive tackle on the open market, especially against the run and at 6'2" and 325 pounds, he would look nice in the Bills defensive interior. San Francisco wants him back but if they take a run at Briggs they may not pay him what he's looking for. He could top a list of lesser-known free agents that NFL GM's around the league are cramming to learn plenty about.

Kwame Harris, OT (49ers): He was starting at tackle in San Fran but played poorly and lost his job. He's 26 and at 322 pounds is a big tackle. He wouldn't be a threat to our starters by any means, but remember to date we're one Jason Peters or Langston Walker brush-up away from the return of Kirk Chambers, and Bills fans remember how that turned out once Peters went down.

Rocky Boiman, LB (Colts): There's a good chance Mario Haggan won't be back. Boiman would be an upgrade anyway. He's a good special teamer and he started for Indy when Rob Morris got hurt. He had 54 tackles last season and Buffalo might be taking a long look at him.

Danny Clark, LB (Texans): He started as strong side linebacker for Houston last season. In all probabilty would be a candidate to replace Haggan but receive more playing time on defense, whether starters are injured or not. Had 51 tackles in 13 games last season. THe downside is the Bills may not want to look at guys over the age of 30, and he'll be 31 come May.

Mitchell55
02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I"ve been doing a little research and working on a peice about some under the radar guys the Bills might take a look at once free agency opens up on Friday.

Instead of just posting the peice when completed, I thought I'd share with you a list of about 10 players, and maybe get a couple of thoughts. I always like to hear input before completing something.. Never know what thoughts or information you may learn.

Also please note because this is important, this does NOT mean nor do I think it should mean the Bills won't go after at least 1-2 "bigger named" free agents. Finding a LEGIT #2 WR is a must and I'd expect to see no less than one other attention-garnering free agent signing.

But anyway...Here are 12 guys you may or may not know about that are set to enter free agency and might gain the Bills interest.

Travis Fisher, CB (Lions): Drafted in the second round in the 2002 draft, Fisher had 77 tackles and two interceptions. He could conceivably compete with Jabari Greer for a starting spot. Detroit is interested in bringing him back and at least a few teams will be interested in signing him as a second or third corner.

Spencer Johnson, DT (Vikings): This guy intrigues me perhaps as much as anyone on this list. He's a three-year veteran who's 26 years old. He went undrafted out of Auburn. He's been stuck behind the Williams' beasts (Pat and Kevin). In a backup role, he still had 3 sacks and a forced fumble last season. The downside is he's only 286 pounds. For him to be productive here, McCargo would have to be big and strong enough to play the 1-gap. Still, the few people I spoke with in the know about the Vikings said he plays bigger and is better against the run than people think. He's certainly worth a look if nothing else.

Jake Scott, G (Colts): He's going to get a decent contract and with the Colts signing both Dallas Clark and Ryan Lilja recently, the money may not be there. If the Bills decide Brad Butler isn't the answer at right guard, then the Bills could definitely peg Scott. He's a 5th rounder from 2004 who started at right guard for Indianapolis last year. Decent size at 295-pounds and will turn 27 in April. Personally, I think this guy should be VERY high on the radar, because even the offensive line improved as a whole, it still has weaknesses.

Ian Scott, DT (Eagles): There was a slight buzz among fans about wanting him last year. He signed with the Eagles and promptly injured his knee during training camp. Still, at 302-pounds he's a well above average run stopper and the Bills could certainly use the help. He's only 26-years old and as long as his knee is strong, would be an immediate upgrade over Kyle Williams.

Brandon Chillar, LB (Rams): 26-years old and crafty; I'm real surprised more people haven't talked about him. 67 tackles, 3 forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks in 15 games last season. From everything I've heard and read, he made tremendous progress in his fourth season. With a weak free agent crop, he may end up getting somewhat overpaid wherever he ends up. Buffalo could be a contender.

Matt Lehr, C/G (Bucs): The Bills hoped Jason Whittle would be a solid backup who could play both guard and center. They may try again and if they do then Lerh is a solid candidate. He's 29 and has good size at 304 pounds.

Johnathan Godwin: C/G (Saints): Like Lehr, Goodwin could back up two positions. From what I've gathered, he was valuable backup who played well when he got into games, and the Saints are interested in bringing him back. But if the Saints resign Jeff Faine there's a good chance Goodwin could get a better payday elsewhere.

Landon Johnson, LB (Bengals): He's been described as "steady, not spectacular" by Bengal writers. He's led the team in tackles three of four seasons (109 last season and a sack) and according to Yahoo Sports, was offered a contract he deemed a lowball attempt. He just turned 27-years old.

Issac Sopoaga, DT (49ers): His name may not be known by many at this time, but when he gets a contract in the open market within the next week or so it will spread quickly. Simply put, Sopoaga may be the best defensive tackle on the open market, especially against the run and at 6'2" and 325 pounds, he would look nice in the Bills defensive interior. San Francisco wants him back but if they take a run at Briggs they may not pay him what he's looking for. He could top a list of lesser-known free agents that NFL GM's around the league are cramming to learn plenty about.

Kwame Harris, OT (49ers): He was starting at tackle in San Fran but played poorly and lost his job. He's 26 and at 322 pounds is a big tackle. He wouldn't be a threat to our starters by any means, but remember to date we're one Jason Peters or Langston Walker brush-up away from the return of Kirk Chambers, and Bills fans remember how that turned out once Peters went down.

Rocky Boiman, LB (Colts): There's a good chance Mario Haggan won't be back. Boiman would be an upgrade anyway. He's a good special teamer and he started for Indy when Rob Morris got hurt. He had 54 tackles last season and Buffalo might be taking a long look at him.

Danny Clark, LB (Texans): He started as strong side linebacker for Houston last season. In all probabilty would be a candidate to replace Haggan but receive more playing time on defense, whether starters are injured or not. Had 51 tackles in 13 games last season. THe downside is the Bills may not want to look at guys over the age of 30, and he'll be 31 come May.

Highlited every one whos worth a **** on there.

kernowboy
02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Some decent suggestions.

I've heard that some feel that Scott could only do well in the Colts system and might struggle elsewhere. I think Harris could be interested but he does have a rep as turnstyle. I think Mike Pearson, a true LT aged 27 could be better especially backing up Peters. If Aaron Merz comes back fully fit, he'll provide internal depth as Whittle's replacement. Whilst the line continues to function well, we will minimise any changes. Considering the money the Panthers have spent on their line, Evan Mathis could be available

At LB, I think Jauron might favour guys he's familiar with and familar with his system like Boss Bailey or Teddy Lehman.

At CB, Reynaldo Hill of the Titans could be worth a look. The Lions were horrible against the pass.

Will the Bills go for a simple anchor like Sopoaga and Scott? I still think Starks who average 3.5sacks a season in his first 3 seasons might offer more penetration whilst retaining size (312lbs).

patmoran2006
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Please never say the words Ted Lehman in a thread again.

Think the surprise person on that list that might get consideration is Jake Scott. The Bills may surprise some and decide another upgrade, this time at RG would help the offense a lot.

patmoran2006
02-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Goodwin and Sopoago can be scratched from this list.. They both resigned in the past 36 hours.

X-Era
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM

That list makes me want to take a nap.... wake me up when its draft time.

patmoran2006
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
You expecting Briggs and Samuel?

X-Era
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
You expecting Briggs and Samuel?

Ohh no, I expect them to grab players that fit into this list... What I want is better players though.

patmoran2006
03-02-2008, 01:46 AM
yay.. 1 for 12 with the unknowns?

User Manuel
03-02-2008, 09:02 AM

Nice call on Johnson, Pat