PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade up in the draft?

SyraBillsLican
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
We have 10 or 11 draft picks this year, a high 1st rounder and only a few needs

all of these factors tell me that the bills should try to trade up for some glenn dorsey action.

we need a d-lineman, wr and cornerback.

we have enough cap room to make one big signing and a few good signings.

if we grap Bryant from FA, get dorsey and pick up a servicable cover 2 cornerback, id be willing to say that the 2008 buffalo bills would be playoff caliber, especially with

1)all our players coming back from injury(poz, ko, peters),
2)edwards with an offseason under his belt and
3)an easier schedule

of course, this is assuming the dolphins pass on him. im not willing to hand over 4 draft picks to the fish.

X-Era
02-25-2008, 08:55 PM

all of these factors tell me that the bills should try to trade up for some glenn dorsey action.

if we grap Bryant from FA, get dorsey and pick up a servicable cover 2 cornerback, id be willing to say that the 2008 buffalo bills would be playoff caliber, especially with

3)an easier schedule

of course, this is assuming the dolphins pass on him. im not willing to hand over 4 draft picks to the fish.

If we sign a WR, and maybe a LB prior to the draft, Id have no problem with moving up for Dorsey.

Let me further clarify though, I wouldnt move to the #1 pick, its not worth it, and I wouldnt make a move if it costs us our 2nd rounder. But if we could pull it off to get Dorsey and then DRC or James Hardy or Martellus Bennett, yeah I would do it. But only if we meet some of our needs elsewhere

VeggieMan14
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
We wouldnt need to move up for the first pick dorseys stock has fallen if we move up to about 5 i think it would guarantee we get him. But before his happens we need to get a wr and lb in FA

Al the Bills Fan
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM

3)an easier schedule

If we end up with Bryant via Free Agency, I still think that we need to draft (or sign) a big WR. I really like Malcolm Kelly, but if we moved up for Dorsey and drafted or signed another big WR I would be happy.

I wouldn't give up too much to move up though. I think we need to keep our rd 1 & 2 picks intact. I would be happy with Kelly or Dorsey (both great players) but I think staying at 11 and taking Kelly is what I would do. But then again, I'm no GM.

PECKERWOOD
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
This draft is very deep, I see no point in trading up when we can get 5-6 starters.

OpIv37
02-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd rather move down because this team has no depth and so many positions of need.

But keep this in mind:
1. The injury bug hit once and it can very well hit again
2. Our playoff chances in 2008 depend on a) the offseason and b) QB play. If Edwards isn't ready, it doesn't matter if we trade our whole offense minus Edwards for the Patriots whole offense minus Brady. We'd still be lucky to be .500.

Mitchy moo
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Dorsey may fall to us or darn close.

Kenny
02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
If Dorsey falls out of the Top5 I say we make a move.

Im not too enamoured with the WRs in this draft, -especially @ 11. While I'll admit I didnt follow college football much this year, there doesnt seem to be a 'star' in the likes of Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, etc... coming out.

I have a feeling Chris Long, Jake Long, and McFadden will all be taken in the Top5. Meaning Dorsey, Ellis, or Gholston will fall out.
The only person I'd trade up for is Dorsey.
Does anyone know what the points/scorecard says about moving into picks 5-10? How much is #11 worth, and will adding our 2nd rounder be enough to get #6 or #7? How about one (or both of our 3rd's?)

If we cant get Dorsey, then I'd say Rivers @ 11, and then use our 2nd rounder for D. Keller or F. Davis. And then use both of our 3rds to get back into the 2nd round and get Hardy or Sweed, or the best WR still available.

That being said, I'd be willing to give up a 1st and 2nd rounder (or both 3rd round picks) to trade up for Dorsey. We have enough of these high character players on this team that are nothing more than average... -besides, what's the point of the cash-to-cap strategy if we dont have any superstars?

EDIT: there's no way we'll be able to trade for #6 or #7 (just checked who has those picks) without giving up the house, and there's no way Dorsey will fall past these guys if he's still there... Meaning we'd have to trade up to the #2-#5 spot to grab him.

Rams, Falcons, Raiders, Chiefs... is it worth trading to their spot if offered?

kernowboy
02-26-2008, 02:49 AM
No.

Dorsey is a great player, but has a slight injury flag. I am always wary of moving up. They may be a good player like Ty Warren in the NFL but could also be a Johnathan Sullivan.

This draft is one of the deepest in years. We can easily trade down and get top value. In fact the draft, as another poster has said this draft will be decided in Rounds 2-5. Many players who would normally go in Round2 will be selected in Round4 due to the number of players available and no fault of their own.

I am interested in exploring the possibility of what the Pats did. We could trade out of Round1 althogether with maybe someone like the Rams, Chiefs or Falcons who regard Clady at LT or Brohm at QB as a franchise player -depending who they chose with their first pick.

We would get a R2, R4 and R1 in 2009.

We could trade back into R1 using our own R2, R4 and R6 with maybe the Chargers who have no real needs, but no picks between R1 and R5. At the bottom of R1, it would still be possible to get a very good player in Sims or Connor or Sweed or Davis who rank not far behind the top players in their positions.

Now the key is the R1 2009 pick. In a shallower draft, Day1 will be more important and how 'sick' would it be to get to the playoffs, have a 10-6 season and STILL be drafting in the Top5 where there might be an elite player like Michael Crabtree WR available PLUS have our own R1 pick. With the risk of losing either Evans or Crowell to Free Agency after next season, we could replace them with the best college player at their position.

This is how the Chargers, Cowboys and Pats have rapidly been able to improve their teams. Trade down in a deep draft, where you can still find quality, and then being able to pick higher in the following year when the draft quality is shallower.

We all want to see a Championship game at the Ralph Wilson - this would be a quicker way to achieve it than taking a multitude of gambles in Free Agency.

Hell the Chargers didn't sign a single free agent last year and only traded for Chambers after Parker got hurt.

PECKERWOOD
02-26-2008, 03:08 AM
I hope Miami takes Dorsey.. They are going to sink so much money into that 1st pick and it's really going to set them back. I don't want the Bills picking anywhere in the top 10 in ANY draft, period.

X-Era
02-26-2008, 06:41 AM
No.

Dorsey is a great player, but has a slight injury flag. I am always wary of moving up. They may be a good player like Ty Warren in the NFL but could also be a Johnathan Sullivan.

This draft is one of the deepest in years. We can easily trade down and get top value. In fact the draft, as another poster has said this draft will be decided in Rounds 2-5. Many players who would normally go in Round2 will be selected in Round4 due to the number of players available and no fault of their own.

I am interested in exploring the possibility of what the Pats did. We could trade out of Round1 althogether with maybe someone like the Rams, Chiefs or Falcons who regard Clady at LT or Brohm at QB as a franchise player -depending who they chose with their first pick.

We would get a R2, R4 and R1 in 2009.

We could trade back into R1 using our own R2, R4 and R6 with maybe the Chargers who have no real needs, but no picks between R1 and R5. At the bottom of R1, it would still be possible to get a very good player in Sims or Connor or Sweed or Davis who rank not far behind the top players in their positions.

Now the key is the R1 2009 pick. In a shallower draft, Day1 will be more important and how 'sick' would it be to get to the playoffs, have a 10-6 season and STILL be drafting in the Top5 where there might be an elite player like Michael Crabtree WR available PLUS have our own R1 pick. With the risk of losing either Evans or Crowell to Free Agency after next season, we could replace them with the best college player at their position.

This is how the Chargers, Cowboys and Pats have rapidly been able to improve their teams. Trade down in a deep draft, where you can still find quality, and then being able to pick higher in the following year when the draft quality is shallower.

We all want to see a Championship game at the Ralph Wilson - this would be a quicker way to achieve it than taking a multitude of gambles in Free Agency.

Hell the Chargers didn't sign a single free agent last year and only traded for Chambers after Parker got hurt.

The Pats were already a SB caliper team when they made those moves, we arent and we dont have any stars on our team.

Boatloads of backups leads to more mediocrity.

kernowboy
02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
The Pats were already a SB caliper team when they made those moves, we arent and we dont have any stars on our team.

Boatloads of backups leads to more mediocrity.

In most cases FA pickups occur because

1) they want too much money and can't be retained
2) their original team doesn't want them - WARNING
3) THEY ARE BACKUPS who want to start.

If a starting player is doing well and not asking too much, they are simply not available

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Only if somehow Dorsey or Ellis falls to 8 and Baltimore will move down. Only trade up scenario I see as even remotely possible. Baltimore goes to 11 and still gets Ryan, Buffalo gets its DT. You dont move up for Gholston or Rivers. And Id trade next years first before Id move a pick in this draft to be honest.