• Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Forked Thread: Will Miller be next?

Forked from: Source: Tonight's game Campbell's last in Buffalo

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
    Still, the front office let Drury, Briere and Zubrus walk, grossly overpaid for Vanek, and now will trade away Campbell. I hope they get something for him other than a bag of magic beans.

I'm not real happy with Regier, Quinn and Golisano right now. They've taken a team that went three rounds into the playoffs two years in a row, and made it into a team which very well may not even make the postseason this year.

That ain't really what I call progress.
    Which leads to the obvious question...Miller is a UFA after he season...depending on what they get for Soupy is there a reason for Miller to even want to sign here...I am not being pessimistic but it is very easy to see where this could all lead. Personally, Miller's contract situation is what tells me that Campbell will be moved and don't be surprised if this team get a "profile" goalie prospect AND spends a high choice on another G. The farm is depleted.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Forked Thread: Will Miller be next?

This FO wouldn't surprise me with anything they do, I have zero confidence in them getting anything done anymore. It's obvious they aren't going to sign Campbell. They have a familiar pattern of missing the boat on signing all of our marquee players earlier and at a more affordable rate and letting them walk. I think their stupidity and lack of foresight (Regier and Quinn) is only superceded by their cheapness (Quinn and Galisano.) It makes me want towhen I think of where this team was a few years ago and what it has become because of overwhelming ******edness in the FO.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

Comment

Its not all doom and gloom. Two potential options could happen.

Campbell gets traded. The Flyers are interested, but rather than take back Briere's big contract, lets get some size in the middle, and have them include Jeff Carter a 6ft3, 200lbs C who has been dangled in talks + Ryan Parent a 6ft2, 210lbs D from their prospects who could become a banger on our 2nd pairing.

As for Miller, the Lightning need a netminder. Trade him for Ramo G and their prospect Helenius G. Whilst not as good as Miller, Ramo has the potential to be a No1 netminder and playing behind a 1st pairing of Nuuminen and Lydman would help his concentration and confidence issues. Tallinder can move back to the 2nd pairing with Spacek.

I am loathed to lose Miller, but no one player makes a team, and having spent so much on Vanek, another massive salary could easily compromise other roster spots on the team.

We lose two, but gain two good players and two excellent prospects.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Miller is not a free agent until the end of next year.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mchurchfie
          This FO wouldn't surprise me with anything they do, I have zero confidence in them getting anything done anymore. It's obvious they aren't going to sign Campbell. They have a familiar pattern of missing the boat on signing all of our marquee players earlier and at a more affordable rate and letting them walk. I think their stupidity and lack of foresight (Regier and Quinn) is only superceded by their cheapness (Quinn and Galisano.) It makes me want towhen I think of where this team was a few years ago and what it has become because of overwhelming ******edness in the FO.
          It still sickens me that we could have had Brian Campbell, Chris Drury and probably even Danny Briere for 5 years and $25 million. The smart GMs would take deals like that in a heartbeat and lock them up.

Comment

it does come down to cap management though

We didn't offer Drury or Briere extensions early enough and by the time we had to make a call their cost was prohibative.

If we cannot get Miller extended early enough, then trading him might be the only option.

There is no point in having three or four superstar players surrounded by journeymen or rookies - we need to have a balanced roster.

If Miller asks for too much the problem is we'll only be able to park average defensemen in front of him, and he'll soon stop being an elite minder if he is facing 50-60 shots every night

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
              If Miller asks for too much the problem is we'll only be able to park average defensemen in front of him, and he'll soon stop being an elite minder if he is facing 50-60 shots every night
              When has he been an elite minder? Don't get me wrong, I like him and all. But he is so inconsistent, especially this year. He always lets in those cheap, crappy goals too. I don't see the elite goalies like Brodeur do that.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                It still sickens me that we could have had Brian Campbell, Chris Drury and probably even Danny Briere for 5 years and $25 million. The smart GMs would take deals like that in a heartbeat and lock them up.
                1. He can't take the deal if he is not allowed to.
                2. A smart GM would not have given them all that money.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  1. He can't take the deal if he is not allowed to.
                  2. A smart GM would not have given them all that money.
                  I'm still waiting for your reply....

Comment

Working...
                  X