X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Whitner to CB, I say yes.....

Many 'draft experts' had Whitner moving to Corner out of college because of his good coverage skills. His production at SS thus far has left a lot to be desired and has been less than #12 overall worthy. On the same note our play at CB has been well below average, even when Clements was still here.

My proposal is that we move Whitner to Corner and either pick someone up like Huff via trade (see NFL Zone for thread) or draft someone like Josh Barrett who is having an excellent Combine so far on the second day. Whitner brings the ability to play more press coverage against the bigger, more aggressive WR's, something we lack greatly in McGee. This would allow us to use McGee in the Nickel where I think he would be a premiere player and would open him up to play more ST's where he is already a premiere player.

Discuss........
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Whitner to CB, I say yes.....

Whitner would be almost identical to what we had and lost in Winfield. A good strong CB with great tackling but Whitner wont have stone hands. I absolutely love this idea.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

He obviously hasen't shown that he has what it takes to be a premier safety, so maybe he can be that type pf player as a corner?...We definetly need to get more out of him....WAY more!
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

He definitely has the size, and I think the speed and coverage skills, to play CB against the opposing team's big WR.

Now, who wants to tell Jauron and Fewell?
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
          • Jul 2002

I say no. We have 2 decent CBs.

I say move him to FS.

Comment

Not sure we should be looking to move him from SS and draft a replacement in what has been described as maybe the worst ever year for S in the draft.

Keep Simpson and Whitner together, and as with the CBs, assemble some decent units ahead of them

Comment

• dannyek71
              Drink Responsibly
              • Dec 2004

In a cover 2, in theory, arent the CB's less important than Safetys? DW is arguably our best DB, so why move him out of posistion?
              [

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

Um.... no. I think he was one one of the better players on a less then average defense. Him moving positions is one of the last things I would want to do.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                  I say no. We have 2 decent CBs.

I say move him to FS.
                  No we dont, we have two guys who are inconsistent playing CB and Whitner is out of place in CF, that was shown time and time again this past season. He took bad angles. He could excel with his skill set at CB.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    He definitely has the size, and I think the speed and coverage skills, to play CB against the opposing team's big WR.

Now, who wants to tell Jauron and Fewell?
                    Alright, alright...I criticize enough, Ill do it.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
                      Not sure we should be looking to move him from SS and draft a replacement in what has been described as maybe the worst ever year for S in the draft.

Keep Simpson and Whitner together, and as with the CBs, assemble some decent units ahead of them

Well Huff is avail via trade and would excel as a Cover 2 SS, and Adams, and Barrett are two solid SS who could come in and contribute from Day 1 as draftees.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dannyek71
                        In a cover 2, in theory, arent the CB's less important than Safetys? DW is arguably our best DB, so why move him out of posistion?
                        Theory is great, however we saw how badly we got smoked last year. We need CB help badly and Whitner takes bad angles in CF. He could be a good corner though for us.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                          Um.... no. I think he was one one of the better players on a less then average defense. Him moving positions is one of the last things I would want to do.

He is one of the more skillful players yes, but I feel like he's out of position, he is much better suited for the CB position. Where he's not completely in a zone at all times and can man up till he releases.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Sorry guys, Whitner isn't moving anywhere. He was forced to play up in the box for run support a majority of the time instead of being back and able to handle both RS and coverage.

The Bills envision him as their Sanders @ SS and will most likely start using Whitner in the same role as soon as they can learn how to stop the run.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                              Sorry guys, Whitner isn't moving anywhere. He was forced to play up in the box for run support a majority of the time instead of being back and able to handle both RS and coverage.

The Bills envision him as their Sanders @ SS and will most likely start using Whitner in the same role as soon as they can learn how to stop the run.
                              Whitner will never = Sanders.....

Comment

Working...
                              X