PDA

View Full Version : Whitner to CB, I say yes.....

gr8slayer
02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Many 'draft experts' had Whitner moving to Corner out of college because of his good coverage skills. His production at SS thus far has left a lot to be desired and has been less than #12 overall worthy. On the same note our play at CB has been well below average, even when Clements was still here.

My proposal is that we move Whitner to Corner and either pick someone up like Huff via trade (see NFL Zone for thread) or draft someone like Josh Barrett who is having an excellent Combine so far on the second day. Whitner brings the ability to play more press coverage against the bigger, more aggressive WR's, something we lack greatly in McGee. This would allow us to use McGee in the Nickel where I think he would be a premiere player and would open him up to play more ST's where he is already a premiere player.

Discuss........

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Whitner would be almost identical to what we had and lost in Winfield. A good strong CB with great tackling but Whitner wont have stone hands. I absolutely love this idea.

Luisito23
02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
He obviously hasen't shown that he has what it takes to be a premier safety, so maybe he can be that type pf player as a corner?...We definetly need to get more out of him....WAY more!

Jan Reimers
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
He definitely has the size, and I think the speed and coverage skills, to play CB against the opposing team's big WR.

Now, who wants to tell Jauron and Fewell?

LtBillsFan66
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I say no. We have 2 decent CBs.

I say move him to FS.

kernowboy
02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Not sure we should be looking to move him from SS and draft a replacement in what has been described as maybe the worst ever year for S in the draft.

Keep Simpson and Whitner together, and as with the CBs, assemble some decent units ahead of them

dannyek71
02-26-2008, 11:59 AM
In a cover 2, in theory, arent the CB's less important than Safetys? DW is arguably our best DB, so why move him out of posistion?

yordad
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Um.... no. I think he was one one of the better players on a less then average defense. Him moving positions is one of the last things I would want to do.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I say no. We have 2 decent CBs.

I say move him to FS.

No we dont, we have two guys who are inconsistent playing CB and Whitner is out of place in CF, that was shown time and time again this past season. He took bad angles. He could excel with his skill set at CB.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
He definitely has the size, and I think the speed and coverage skills, to play CB against the opposing team's big WR.

Now, who wants to tell Jauron and Fewell?

Alright, alright...I criticize enough, Ill do it.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Not sure we should be looking to move him from SS and draft a replacement in what has been described as maybe the worst ever year for S in the draft.

Keep Simpson and Whitner together, and as with the CBs, assemble some decent units ahead of them

Well Huff is avail via trade and would excel as a Cover 2 SS, and Adams, and Barrett are two solid SS who could come in and contribute from Day 1 as draftees.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
In a cover 2, in theory, arent the CB's less important than Safetys? DW is arguably our best DB, so why move him out of posistion?

Theory is great, however we saw how badly we got smoked last year. We need CB help badly and Whitner takes bad angles in CF. He could be a good corner though for us.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Um.... no. I think he was one one of the better players on a less then average defense. Him moving positions is one of the last things I would want to do.

He is one of the more skillful players yes, but I feel like he's out of position, he is much better suited for the CB position. Where he's not completely in a zone at all times and can man up till he releases.

madness
02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Sorry guys, Whitner isn't moving anywhere. He was forced to play up in the box for run support a majority of the time instead of being back and able to handle both RS and coverage.

The Bills envision him as their Sanders @ SS and will most likely start using Whitner in the same role as soon as they can learn how to stop the run.

gr8slayer
02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry guys, Whitner isn't moving anywhere. He was forced to play up in the box for run support a majority of the time instead of being back and able to handle both RS and coverage.

The Bills envision him as their Sanders @ SS and will most likely start using Whitner in the same role as soon as they can learn how to stop the run.
Whitner will never = Sanders.....

TacklingDummy
02-26-2008, 01:27 PM
I'd rather the Bills have an consistent pass rush.

madness
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM

ass-u-me

dannyek71
02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Theory is great, however we saw how badly we got smoked last year. We need CB help badly and Whitner takes bad angles in CF. He could be a good corner though for us.

ok, then who would our SS be next year? Scott?

Who is better to have on the field, Jabari greer or scott?

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
ok, then who would our SS be next year? Scott?

Who is better to have on the field, Jabari greer or scott?

I provided about three examples? Using our picks to trade for Huff from Oakland an ideal C2 SS, or using a pick to draft a capable replacement in a guy like Jamar Adams or Chris Barrett.

mybills
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
"something we lack greatly in McGee"
gr8, are you trying to piss me off, or does it just come natural?

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM

What about that statement is false? There is a reason he's called Terrance "Burnt Toast" McGee. Hell of a returner but average as a corner back.

gr8slayer
02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Mr. Ed, you being angry at me is the least of my worries. I speak my opinion, you don't like it, use the ignore feature :up:

PECKERWOOD
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM

:bf1:

Don't move Whitner, he is doing fine where he is at.

The Jokeman
02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
What about that statement is false? There is a reason he's called Terrance "Burnt Toast" McGee. Hell of a returner but average as a corner back.
Ie a younger version of Allen Rossum.

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Ie a younger version of Allen Rossum.

Complete agreement there

DraftBoy
02-26-2008, 09:43 PM
:bf1:

Don't move Whitner, he is doing fine where he is at.

I dont know how anybody can realistically see that. We move Whitner and maybe he plays better at CB, all I know is that we can not have a Safety back in the C2 scheme who lets players get behind him. It cannot happen.

Mr. Cynical
02-26-2008, 10:53 PM
#1 need on D: run stuffing T.
#2 need on D: pass rushing DE.

Get those two and the rest will work itself out.

PECKERWOOD
02-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I dont know how anybody can realistically see that. We move Whitner and maybe he plays better at CB, all I know is that we can not have a Safety back in the C2 scheme who lets players get behind him. It cannot happen.

You guys have way too much time on your hands. Whitner played great and I didn't think he let that many plays get away from him. He hasn't had an incredible amount of interceptions but he has definately had his fair share of pass break-ups. Anyone remember the hit that DESTROYED Chad Johnson? #85 had to pick his gold teeth up off the turf because of the collision. Do you see how many tackles he made as well? Whitner was forced to play run support because our run defense was so horrible. It's not like they were putting Whitner in a position to make huge plays in the passing game frequently. Half the time teams were running it straight up our gut anyways, so why pass it? To say that Donte Whitner has been a bust, atleast to me it destroys your credibility. Ofcourse I wish we would have taken Haloti Ngata with that pick STILL and I was really angry after we took Whitner in the draft but now after watching him play I feel like the pick is still worth it. Whitner is a stud and when we hopefully fix our run defense this offseason, you will see him show up more in pass defense.

mybills
02-27-2008, 05:50 AM
What about that statement is false?
"greatly"

Did you even watch him play? He's doing quite well and there's no need to replace him.
I'm glad the fo doesn't have to take your advice! :up: There are much more important positions to fill!

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 07:39 AM
#1 need on D: run stuffing T.
#2 need on D: pass rushing DE.

Get those two and the rest will work itself out.

How do you figure thats going to solve the issue of WR's getting behind the S in Cover 2. Alot of our issues yes are in the line, but that wont solve everything. You're getting your hopes if you think thats it.

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 07:45 AM
You guys have way too much time on your hands. Whitner played great and I didn't think he let that many plays get away from him. He hasn't had an incredible amount of interceptions but he has definately had his fair share of pass break-ups. Anyone remember the hit that DESTROYED Chad Johnson? #85 had to pick his gold teeth up off the turf because of the collision. Do you see how many tackles he made as well? Whitner was forced to play run support because our run defense was so horrible. It's not like they were putting Whitner in a position to make huge plays in the passing game frequently. Half the time teams were running it straight up our gut anyways, so why pass it? To say that Donte Whitner has been a bust, atleast to me it destroys your credibility. Ofcourse I wish we would have taken Haloti Ngata with that pick STILL and I was really angry after we took Whitner in the draft but now after watching him play I feel like the pick is still worth it. Whitner is a stud and when we hopefully fix our run defense this offseason, you will see him show up more in pass defense.

First off there is no way for us to accurately tell how much he got beat so we'll have to agree to disagree on that, however your claim of his fair share of Pass Breakups is completely false. He was 11th on our team alone 240th in the NFL. He's behind McGee, Greer, Ellison, Digi, Tripplett, Wilson, Crowell, Leonhard, Kelsay, Thomas and then Whitner with a grand total of 2 break ups this past year. He only made 89 tackles! Thats not like he led all DB's in tackles, he was 15th among DB's and 48th amonst defensive players. He played up in the box a lot yes, but he got beat when he was back in his zone too. Ngata wouldn't have worked out as well for us as he had for Baltimore but thats a different argument, Whitner was a fine pick, he's just out of position for our scheme.

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 07:47 AM
"greatly"

Did you even watch him play? He's doing quite well and there's no need to replace him.
I'm glad the fo doesn't have to take your advice! :up: There are much more important positions to fill!

:rofl: McGee played decent last year, but the year before he was absolutely brutal, so next year will be a make or break year for him.

mybills
02-27-2008, 07:57 AM
so next year will be a make or break year for him.
So replace him now? :scratch:

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 08:01 AM
So replace him now? :scratch:

Get somebody in here who can replace him if need be and it's not like Greer is the answer across the field either. Adequate doesn't get us through the post season.

mybills
02-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Get somebody in here who can replace him if need be and it's not like Greer is the answer across the field either. Adequate doesn't get us through the post season.
But isn't this thread about..replacing him with Whitner?
I'm so confused now...which is the story you are sticking to? Get somebody else, or replace him with Whitner?

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm so confused now...which is the story you are sticking to? Get somebody else, or replace him with Whitner?

The thread is about moving Whitner to CB and replace whoever gets beat out by him. Its not targeting either CB specifically, just that both could use an upgrade.

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Either one, personally I think we need an upgrade where McGee players more than we do Greer but both leave a lot to be desired.

madness
02-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I have an idea. Screw letting guys progress, lets just sign former pro-bowlers in the twilights of the career.

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I have an idea. Screw letting guys progress, lets just sign former pro-bowlers in the twilights of the career.

What?

madness
02-27-2008, 10:18 AM
What?

Exactly.

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

PECKERWOOD
02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Whitner is a 2nd year guy.. I'm not sure what everybody expects. It's funny though, the offseason bores the hell out of some people and you can put me in that group but making stupid threads like this because your bored is just ******ed. What's even more ******ed is the people who joined in and agreed with you. DraftBoy and Gr8slayer I have all the respect in the world for the both of you but this argument is dog****.

NC-BILLS44
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't think Whitner has the speed to play CB. I don't know about you, but I saw Brandon Jacobs pull away from Whitner on a long TD run last year. A speedy CB would have run him down.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM

Bob Sanders: First Three Regular Seasons

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">G</TD><TD _extended="true"> GS </TD><TD _extended="true">Total </TD><TD _extended="true">Solo</TD><TD _extended="true"> Ast</TD><TD _extended="true"> Sck</TD><TD _extended="true"> SFTY </TD><TD _extended="true">PDef</TD><TD _extended="true"> Int</TD><TD _extended="true"> Yds</TD><TD _extended="true"> Avg</TD><TD _extended="true"> Lng </TD><TD _extended="true"> TDs</TD><TD _extended="true"> FF</TD><TD _extended="true"> FR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6 4 34 29 5 0.0 0.0 1 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 2

14 14 91 71 20 0.0 0.0 2 1 0 0.0 0.0 0 1 1

4 4 27 19 8 0.0 0.0 1 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 1 0

Donte Whiter: First Two Regular Seasons

<TABLE class="w655px datatablecell" cellSpacing=0 _extended="true"><TBODY _extended="true"><TR class=datatabledatahead _extended="true"><TD _extended="true">G</TD><TD _extended="true"> GS </TD><TD _extended="true">Total </TD><TD _extended="true">Solo</TD><TD _extended="true"> Ast</TD><TD _extended="true"> Sck</TD><TD _extended="true"> SFTY </TD><TD _extended="true">PDef</TD><TD _extended="true"> Int</TD><TD _extended="true"> Yds</TD><TD _extended="true"> Avg</TD><TD _extended="true"> Lng </TD><TD _extended="true"> TDs</TD><TD _extended="true"> FF</TD><TD _extended="true"> FR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

15 14 104 67 37 0.0 0.0 4 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0

15 15 89 68 21 0.0 0.0 1 1 29 29.0 29 0 0 0

Thank you!

In addition to having to play up in the box in run support a lot the last two seasons, Whitner's critics are not taking into account the impact that all of the injuries to the Bills' defense had on Whitner's ability to play his position properly last season. Unlike most strong safeties, Whitner was forced to play some corner and against slot receivers--WRs who usually are covered by CBs--due to all of the injuries that the Bills had to their CBs during the course of the season. Combining that with the injuries to the LBs that forced him to not only help in run support, but also to shade his coverage to help the LBs in pass coverage, Whitner was forced to play much of the season out of position, serving more as a "band-aid" to cover for his team's weaknesses than being able to act as the "play-maker" that a Tampa 2 strong safety is supposed to be. That was not his fault, but something necessitated by all of the injuries that the Bills suffered on defense, particularly in their defensive backfield, and the constant turnover of personnel on that side of the ball that left Whitner as the only player capable of being a stabilizing force in the middle of the defensive back seven.

Even so, Whitner's stats for the last two seasons are very similar too, if not better than, Sanders' stats in the best of his first three seasons in the league.

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Bob Sanders: First Three Regular Seasons

6 4 34 29 5 0.0 0.0 1 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 2

14 14 91 71 20 0.0 0.0 2 1 0 0.0 0.0 0 1 1

4 4 27 19 8 0.0 0.0 1 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 1 0

Donte Whiter: First Two Regular Seasons

15 14 104 67 37 0.0 0.0 4 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0

15 15 89 68 21 0.0 0.0 1 1 29 29.0 29 0 0 0

Thank you!

In addition to having to play up in the box in run support a lot the last two seasons, Whitner's critics are not taking into account the impact that all of the injuries to the Bills' defense had on Whitner's ability to play his position properly last season. Unlike most strong safeties, Whitner was forced to play some corner and against slot receivers--WRs who usually are covered by CBs--due to all of the injuries that the Bills had to their CBs during the course of the season. Combining that with the injuries to the LBs that forced him to not only help in run support, but also to shade his coverage to help the LBs in pass coverage, Whitner was forced to play much of the season out of position, serving more as a "band-aid" to cover for his team's weaknesses than being able to act as the "play-maker" that a Tampa 2 strong safety is supposed to be. That was not his fault, but something necessitated by all of the injuries that the Bills suffered on defense, particularly in their defensive backfield, and the constant turnover of personnel on that side of the ball that left Whitner as the only player capable of being a stabilizing force in the middle of the defensive back seven.

Even so, Whitner's stats for the last two seasons are very similar too, if not better than, Sanders' stats in the best of his first three seasons in the league.Statistics aside, you think that Whitner strikes the same fear into OC's that Sanders does?

LifetimeBillsFan
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Statistics aside, you think that Whitner strikes the same fear into OC's that Sanders does?

Not yet. But, why don't you guys give him a chance--give him the same amount of time that it took Sanders to become the player that he has become.

You guys are expecting Whitner to already be the player that it took Sanders 4 years to become. And, Whitner hasn't had the same kind of talent playing around him that Sanders has.

Considering that Whitner was named to the All-Rookie team and that people around the league consider him to be an up-and-coming player, how do you know that Whitner won't be a player that OC's have to game-plan for in two more years when the Bills have some better players around him and he can actually concentrate on being a play-maker?

Just because the guy was drafted at # 8 it seems like everyone thinks that he should have immediately become an All-Pro as a rookie. That's a totally unreasonable expectation.