PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the day and a few predictions....

OpIv37
02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Washington clearly improved.

Pittsburgh clearly improved.

I don't know what to think about the Sabres trade. To be honest, I know nothing about Bernier- I don't pay much attention to Western Conf teams because it's so rare that they play the Sabres. On one hand, at least we got a player and a draft pick instead of NOTHING for Campbell. On the other hand, our D is clearly worse because we didn't add anyone, and I can't help but wonder why the FO refused to offer Campbell a long term deal. He's not that old.

So, it's an improvement in how the FO handles these situations, but still not perfect and it didn't result in the team getting better on the ice.

Ok, prediction time:
-Washington wins the SE division
-Pittsburgh represents the East in the SC Finals
-The Canadiens don't make the playoffs
-The Sabres don't make the playoffs

Michael82
02-27-2008, 12:56 AM

I don't know what to think about the Sabres trade. To be honest, I know nothing about Bernier- I don't pay much attention to Western Conf teams because it's so rare that they play the Sabres. On one hand, at least we got a player and a draft pick instead of NOTHING for Campbell. On the other hand, our D is clearly worse because we didn't add anyone, and I can't help but wonder why the FO refused to offer Campbell a long term deal. He's not that old.

So, it's an improvement in how the FO handles these situations, but still not perfect and it didn't result in the team getting better on the ice.

Ok, prediction time:
I could definitely see all that happening.... :sigh:

User Manuel
02-27-2008, 07:09 AM

Ok, prediction time:

Ok, lets look at this.

I've seen Bernier and I think you all will like him in time. He is definately talented and extremely physical. We may miss the flash of Campbell, but Bernier will be a "Buffalo guy" in my opinion. Under the circumstances I think Regier made a great deal.

Washington got an expensive "name" in Federov who might not amount to muchin the end, Huet is the equal of Kolzig. Huet will be nice long term, doesn't make them instantly better.The best immediate help they got was Matt Cooke. They may win the SE but because it sucks, not these moves. To me these moves are more about sending the "committed to winning message to the fans and Alex O.

Pittsburgh. I love the gamble, but they may rue not having Armstrong come playoff time. It is still a good gamble though. They are the front runners in my opinion.

Montreal - Saying you are going to make a big add and then making a huge subtraction may really hurt the lockerroom. The secret, though, is that Carey Price is simply better than Huet. Montreal makes it into the playoffs.

Sabres - Not a great "team" anymore, but still very talented. Ruff will get them into the playoffs. Bernier move gives Darcy the flexibility to make a big offseason move that he seems to like.

Losers - Rangers, Montoya Deal was HORRIBLE
Leafs - JFJ totally screwed that team for years to come
Senators - Needed to get better in goal and didn't do it. Martin Lapointe, nice add, but the decline in Ottawa has started. Tossing Muckler aside is starting to show.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Ok, lets look at this.

I've seen Bernier and I think you all will like him in time. He is definately talented and extremely physical. We may miss the flash of Campbell, but Bernier will be a "Buffalo guy" in my opinion. Under the circumstances I think Regier made a great deal.

Washington got an expensive "name" in Federov who might not amount to muchin the end, Huet is the equal of Kolzig. Huet will be nice long term, doesn't make them instantly better.The best immediate help they got was Matt Cooke. They may win the SE but because it sucks, not these moves. To me these moves are more about sending the "committed to winning message to the fans and Alex O.

Pittsburgh. I love the gamble, but they may rue not having Armstrong come playoff time. It is still a good gamble though. They are the front runners in my opinion.

Montreal - Saying you are going to make a big add and then making a huge subtraction may really hurt the lockerroom. The secret, though, is that Carey Price is simply better than Huet. Montreal makes it into the playoffs.

Sabres - Not a great "team" anymore, but still very talented. Ruff will get them into the playoffs. Bernier move gives Darcy the flexibility to make a big offseason move that he seems to like.

Senators - Needed to get better in goal and didn't do it. Martin Lapointe, nice add, but the decline in Ottawa has started. Tossing Muckler aside is starting to show.

The thing about Huet is that he is an UFA after this season. Federov is way past his prime but could help be a good fit for helping Ovechkin, not that he needs it.

Pittsburgh just made the best PP unit in hockey. Hossa-Malkin-Crosby-Gonchar-Whitney - that is pretty awesome.

Montreal just took a chance and from what I see they failed.

The Sabres are going to be fine if they can just get passed the fact they lost a long time teammate.

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok, lets look at this.

Agreed on Bernier. Our D will suffer for sure though.

Federov is a shell of his former self and Huet is slightly better than Kolzig at this point. Huet is no spring chicken at 32. Cooke is a nice player though and should fit in well. I can see the Caps winning their crap division..

Ebenezer
02-27-2008, 04:02 PM

as some of us predicted.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
We know Eb.

And you will still be wrong.

OpIv37
04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Ok, prediction time:

Well, I was dead on with Washington and the Sabres. I was way off with the Canadiens, with Pittsburgh TBD (but they do have the second seed).

So, I'm batting at least .500.

YardRat
04-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, I was dead on with Washington and the Sabres. I was way off with the Canadiens, with Pittsburgh TBD (but they do have the second seed).

If this were baseball, you'd be a HOFer.

Then again, if this were college, you'd be putting applications in at McDonalds 'just in case'.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Pittsburgh isn't in the Stanley Cup Finals yet so you are batting .250 right now.

OpIv37
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Pittsburgh isn't in the Stanley Cup Finals yet so you are batting .250 right now.

that's some fuzzy math right there. First of all, it's just wrong- I made 4 predictions and 2 were right. That's .500 no matter how you look at it.

One is TBD and you're trying to hold that against me. I'm either .500 (two right, one wrong, one TBD) or .667 (two for 3 with one at-bat to go).

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-07-2008, 07:27 AM
that's some fuzzy math right there. First of all, it's just wrong- I made 4 predictions and 2 were right. That's .500 no matter how you look at it.

One is TBD and you're trying to hold that against me. I'm either .500 (two right, one wrong, one TBD) or .667 (two for 3 with one at-bat to go).

Oh yeah, looks like I misread that one.

SabreEleven
04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Whoever wins the Western Conference will win the Stanley Cup.

OpIv37
04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Whoever wins the Western Conference will win the Stanley Cup.

well I think that one falls into the "not so bold" category.

SabreEleven
04-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm looking to bat a 1.000

RockStar36
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I still think Montreal takes the East

OpIv37
05-18-2008, 07:26 PM
looks like I was 3/4 after all. Not too bad.

Historian
05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Boy.... Conklin is laughing all the way to the finals, huh?

OpIv37
05-19-2008, 10:38 PM

if it wasn't Conklin, it would be Biron.

Two goalies that were on the Sabres' roster last year both made it to the conference finals. The Sabres finished 4 points out of the playoffs- call it 5 because of tiebreakers.

Could Biron or Conklin have gotten us 2 wins and a tie, or allowed Miller to rest up so Miller could have given us 2 more wins and a tie? My guess is yes.

SabreEleven
05-19-2008, 11:26 PM

Just like Rob Johnson.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Just like Rob Johnson.

Unlike Rob, Conklin played a significant role this season. Including going 4-0 against the Sabres, allowing five goals total.