PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Marv!

Pride
02-27-2008, 07:49 AM
The last 2 years... we all knew we were in the "rebuilding" phase for this team and organization.

Marv did that, and this offseason, I can actually be excited about a few key Free Agent Signings that may put us in the playoffs next year. Superbowl? Doubtful. But next year, barring a rash of injuries like last year... we essentially get 3-4 new starters back (Poz, Simpson), plus any Free Agents, plus a starter or two in the draft. This, on top of our Rookie QB and RB with some experience and a gelled OL.

THAT IS EXCITING!!!

colin
02-27-2008, 07:54 AM
careful now,

from the posts on this board it's clear that we suck, we blow high picks on bad players, and that we won't spend any money ever.

i feel the same way you do (i'm super pumped for the next 2 months!!) but we have to hide it from the smarty kids who are never wrong.

mybills
02-27-2008, 07:56 AM
I agree Pride, it's gonna be an exciting year.

SquishDaFish
02-27-2008, 08:03 AM
I feel the same way Pride. But be careful the neg nancies will be here to rain on your parade shortly because they can never have faith and excitement

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
This year will only be "exciting" if Edwards decides he wants to play like an NFL QB. There won't be anymore of these "well he's a rookie" BS excuses. If he does choose to do so then I agree 100% that this will be the year to make up for the past ten and we'll likely be a play-off team.

Mr. Miyagi
02-27-2008, 08:38 AM
I want to be excited but I'm a bit afraid of yet another letdown.

So I'll be cautiously optimistic how's that?

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Yeah, we get excited every year and it's just pure heartbreak.

Mitchy moo
02-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Throw caution to the wind.

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Im excited too! Draft is less than 2 months away! Woohoo!!!

kernowboy
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I would go one step further.

We are DEFINITELY a 10-6 team this year and hopefully that will take us into the Playoffs (hopefully not a Cleveland situation).

For the 2009 season we are Championship Final team if not one game better.

We've had a couple of promising drafts.

This offseason is key as we have a great number of pics in a very deep draft. Get 80% of them right and we will be in a very enviable position. However we must be cautious about overpaying for mediocre players in a weak free agency class, where all we will achieve is having a less talented veteran impede the progress of a more talented rookie.

Come 2009, the draft is weaker but we may only require 1 or 2 role players and if Free Agency is only slightly deeper we can add the one or two players required to take us all the way.

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 08:58 AM

We are DEFINITELY a 10-6 team this year and hopefully that will take us into the Playoffs (hopefully not a Cleveland situation).

This offseason is key as we have a great number of pics in a very deep draft. Get 80% of them right and we will be in a very enviable position. However we must be cautious about overpaying for mediocre players in a weak free agency class, where all we will achieve is having a less talented veteran impede the progress of a more talented rookie.

Come 2009, the draft is weaker but we may only require 1 or 2 role players and if Free Agency is only slightly deeper we can add the one or two players required to take us all the way.Let's find out if we have a QB before we start talking about double digit wins.

DraftBoy
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Come 2009, the draft is weaker but we may only require 1 or 2 role players and if Free Agency is only slightly deeper we can add the one or two players required to take us all the way.

You cant say that yet, this class looked very weak till players developed last year and all those juniors declared.

JJamezz
02-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Not to nitpick here.. I'm happy Marv came back and feel he has not just the team but the organization pointed in the right direction. But it still bugs me how adamant and even defensive he was about the 'this is not a 3 year plan, we want to win right away...' crap. We all knew it was, and I understand why he said it, it just bugs me..

djjimkelly
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
thank you marv this roster is currently a 6 win team at best.

2 losses guarenteed vs the patriots 6-8 vs the rest of the league book it not bad enough for a great DP not good enough for anything we would like.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
thank you marv this roster is currently a 6 win team at best.

2 losses guarenteed vs the patriots 6-8 vs the rest of the league book it not bad enough for a great DP not good enough for anything we would like.
We won 7 last year with 17 guys on IR and an unsettled QB situation.

Just getting Poz, Simpson, Denney and some of the other walking wounded back, and giving TE the starter reps all through camp will make us better.

Add in 2 or 3 quality FA signings and a good, 10 pick draft, and we should be looking at the playoffs.

SquishDaFish
02-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Pats are going to take a step back dont worry. And we are heading in the right direction dont worry

Saratoga Slim
02-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm with you Miyagi--cautiously optimistic.

But look at the difference in this offseason compared to the previous two: this year we're looking to UPGRADE several key positions (DT, WR, TE), whereas in the past two years we've gone into free agency and the draft with gaping holes that we had to fill with someone--which takes some of the flexibility out of our acquisition process.

If we make one or two good signings in free agency, we'll be able to take very close to a BPA approach to the draft--a luxury we did not have last year, where we absolutely needed to come out of the draft with a starting running back and linebacker.

djjimkelly
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
We won 7 last year with 17 guys on IR and an unsettled QB situation.

Just getting Poz, Simpson, Denney and some of the other walking wounded back, and giving TE the starter reps all through camp will make us better.

Add in 2 or 3 quality FA signings and a good, 10 pick draft, and we should be looking at the playoffs.

we beat 2 teams that was in total dissarray in miami and the jets for 4 wins.

no way those teams are as bad this year do not expect a sweep of them this year.

we also played a ravens team that lost 9 in a row.

we had a very very soft schedule im being realistic last years schedule was as easy as it could have been.

we never match up well vs the afc west i dont expect the nfc west to be a cake walk.

we will be lucky to win 6 games this year

Jeff1220
02-27-2008, 09:43 AM
The Bills will split w/the Patsies this year. Mark it!

Jan Reimers
02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

no way those teams are as bad this year do not expect a sweep of them this year.

we had a very very soft schedule im being realistic last years schedule was as easy as it could have been.

we never match up well vs the afc west i dont expect the nfc west to be a cake walk.

Oh, now that you explain it like that. . . it still makes no sense:dance:

Mr. Miyagi
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM

If this isn't negative nancy at work I don't know what is.

How was our schedule "very very soft" last season? Out of the 16 games we played 7 of them against playoff teams, 3 of the games were against NE and NYG both SuperBowl teams. Then there's Cleveland who missed the playoffs by a hair. Other than the terrible Miami and Jets and Ravens, Cincy was 7-9, Cleveland was 10-6 and Philly was 8-8.

Plus going into last season, the Jets were a playoff team, Cincy and Philly were supposed to be tough, and Miami were supposedly improved. Our strength of schedule was top 3 before the season started. Why does that matter? Because it's the same logic you're using to predict our upcoming season, that's why. And with that tough tough schedule and 17 guys on IR, we did an admirable job as a team.

colin
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
rookies.

we had rookies and scrubs all over the pitch last year. an all 1st year back field, a brand new o-line, mccargo was virtually a rook, poz was a rook, and then we lost ko poz ellison and even wire.

if all you do is give the rooks (especially rb and qb) another year and the line another year together you have a better team.

add back the injuries, and add in 5 decent players (draft and FA) and then our O gets better, our D gets better, and our special teams get even better (st guys were starting or hurt).

i expect a big FA and draft, and i expect 10+ wins next season.

SquishDaFish
02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Dont let the Neg Nancy get to you guys. Someone pissed in his cheerios

justasportsfan
02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
The last 2 years... we all knew we were in the "rebuilding" phase for this team and organization.

Marv did that, and this offseason, I can actually be excited about a few key Free Agent Signings that may put us in the playoffs next year. Superbowl? Doubtful. But next year, barring a rash of injuries like last year... we essentially get 3-4 new starters back (Poz, Simpson), plus any Free Agents, plus a starter or two in the draft. This, on top of our Rookie QB and RB with some experience and a gelled OL.

THAT IS EXCITING!!!

I'll thank Marv once his handpicked coach leads us to a playoffs.

djjimkelly
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
like i said ive been a massive homer in previous years. i know what i see here.

and we dont have what it takes to be a 500 team.

only way i could see it being different is if we somehow guru FA

and get a WR CB DT and LB all of B+ caliber i wont hold my breath.

Bryant johnson would be a nice start.

people keep bringing up 17 people on IR maybe 2 or 3 of them would have made a real impact.

the same people who say POZ would have made a world of difference are pimping digirigio. digirgio is a joke he got tackles by default. KO simpson would have been a difference so would POZ who else for real.

hydro
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
people keep bringing up 17 people on IR maybe 2 or 3 of them would have made a real impact.

the same people who say POZ would have made a world of difference are pimping digirigio. digirgio is a joke he got tackles by default. KO simpson would have been a difference so would POZ who else for real.

I love people who shrug off the fact that 17 people on IR has no impact on our team. Yes only a few of them were real "impact" players but even the "nonimpact" players were better than the people that had to replace them. Very few of the players that went down were replaced by a better player. How does that not hurt a team?

BAM
02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Good post, Pride! I'm pumped! It's too bad football season is so many months away.

Al the Bills Fan
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I am really happy with the direction of the team right now. Two solid drafts in a row, and some cap money to spend this year in free agency and 11 picks in the draft this year.

Can't wait until friday for the opening of FA to see if we make a splash with a big signing or two. If we have another solid draft and bring in a couple decent FA to fill up some holes we have we will be a really decent team.

Of course, we could make the playoffs in 08 and some on this board will still piss and moan. O well, LETS GO BUFFALO!

kernowboy
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
And we were too extremely close games (Denver, Dallas) from being a 9-7 team

Michael82
02-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you, Marv! Last year was the first sign that the Bills were serious about building the team the right way. They signed two main guys to fix our offensive line trouble and spent a lot of money right on day 1. Next they drafted a stud RB and damn good OLB to fill those holes. Now you have Jauron openly admitting that we need a big WR, big run stuffing DT and a TE receiving threat. I have no doubt that the Bills will be filling one of those holes on day 1 or maybe even 2 and it really excites me. :up:

mybills
02-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Oh, now that you explain it like that. . . it still makes no sense:dance:
:rofl: