PDA

View Full Version : Merz waived.. Butler, A-Train, Wire contracts terminated.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Coy Wire, Anthony Thomas, Jeremertrius Butler and Aaron Merz.

V-Text

madness
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Per Vtext:

The Buffalo Bills waived OL Aaron Merz and terminated the contracts of CB Jerametrius Butler, RB Anthony Thomas and LB Coy Wire.

colin
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
i think this means they will target a couple interior linemen on day 2

shelby
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Coy Wire?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:wail::woeisme::teary:

X-Era
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Per Vtext:

The Buffalo Bills waived OL Aaron Merz and terminated the contracts of CB Jerametrius Butler, RB Anthony Thomas and LB Coy Wire.
Thank god that Wire is finally gone!

Its on BB.com too.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
With the opening of free agency looming at the end of the week, Buffalo got their roster in order by releasing three veteran players and a young offensive lineman Wednesday.

Veteran tailback Anthony Thomas, cornerback Jerametrius Butler and linebacker Coy Wire were all terminated as vested veterans. Aaron Merz, a third-year lineman was waived. He had missed the entire 2007 season due to shoulder surgery.

The moves are at least partly designed to provide the club with more money to spend in free agency this weekend. All three players had a year remaining on their existing contracts with the team.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=5886

And Wire's career might be over:

Coy Wire's departure was due to a failed physical. Wire had recently undergone neck fusion surgery this offseason. Playing a high impact position like linebacker, Wire's football future is admittedly a bit uncertain.

justasportsfan
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
I think Wire will be back if he heals 100%

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Coy Wire?

Sorry Shelby.

X-Era
Coy Wire?

Shleby, sorry, but he drove me crazy.

Jan Reimers
i think this means they will target a couple interior linemen on day 2
It wasn't Brad Butler, so we only lost one O Lineman - Merz. But I'm surprised he and Wire were released.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh, sorry, didn't realize it was a failed physical with Wire.

madness
Freddy Jackson just derailed A-Train! Do your thing Freddy! :flex:

circlethewagons
Butler and Atrain were predictable cuts.... but im a little suprised about Merz eventhough he didnt play i thought he had potential- Wire im surprized at- sure he was injured all of last year but he was a good Special teamer and i thought when he had the chance a decent SS LB for depth- dont know what his contract was like though

mysticsoto
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
It wasn't Brad Butler, so we only lost one O Lineman - Merz. But I'm surprised he and Wire were released.

Hopefully it's b'cse they are getting ready to go after a big name that we may need. And to bring people to Buffalo, we will likely have to overpay.

But in all likelihood, we will get Coy Wire back at minimum vet. I doubt another team goes after him...

X-Era
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Hopefully it's b'cse they are getting ready to go after a big name that we may need. And to bring people to Buffalo, we will likely have to overpay.

But in all likelihood, we will get Coy Wire back at minimum vet. I doubt another team goes after him...

I hope to hell its Briggs. Word is SF isnt actually even in the running for him.

What a diff he would make to us.

Its a pipe dream, but hey, why not dream.

justasportsfan
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Hopefully it's b'cse they are getting ready to go after a big name that we may need. .like Briggs? :D.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Shleby, sorry, but he drove me crazy.

He was OK as depth and on ST.

He was also a very, very nice and down to Earth person.

shelby
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh this sucks ass.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/43445/2004339003988469106_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004339003988469106)

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/1370-1175688329.gif

madness
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope to hell its Briggs. Word is SF isnt actually even in the running for him.

What a diff he would make to us.

Its a pipe dream, but hey, why not dream.

Wait, I just read today that it's almost certain Briggs is going to SF. :wtf:

Tatonka
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
really really shocked that merz was cut. he was a potential starter and got hurt. they seamed really high on him.. i wonder if the shoulder didnt heal right? wire was hurt, so i get that, and the other two were junk.

Saratoga Slim
02-27-2008, 03:36 PM
One thing that is interesting.....if these cuts were intended, as the article says, to free up money for FA, then we must be looking to lay out some cash---we already have a ton of cap space, and yet we're still trying to maximize it? That's good news.

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Merz getting cut = stupid ass move by a stupid ass organization.

Jan Reimers
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
really really shocked that merz was cut. he was a potential starter and got hurt. they seamed really high on him.. i wonder if the shoulder didnt heal right? wire was hurt, so i get that, and the other two were junk.
Yeah, I thought Merz might move over and be our Center.

justasportsfan
02-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Maybe Merz has an injury that will keep coming back. Injured players that haven't proven themselves like both Merz and Wire have no leverage . They can be brought back in for minimum if they heal.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Unless he was still having shoudler problems, as he had more surgery.

Merz was a depth guy and nothing more. It is not like he was an all-star or did much.

Sometimes these guys work out and sometimes they don't.

bigbub2352
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I am glad that these guyz are gettin trimmed, please dont sign any of the other so called ST badasses in Stamer and Aiken either, i wouldnt mind Haggan back, but after that Wire was gettin paid to be hurt every year same goes for Merz

raphael120
02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Awesome, getting rid of some dead weight. I love it!

I think I'm feeling a little bit of what Pat mentioned before...we may just go out and do what we did last year and actually sign a decent FA class this Friday.

Very excited!

Forward_Lateral
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM

I was just about to post this. This shocked me as well. Merz was in the running to be either the starting RG, or they even mentioned him at C, I believe.

Michael82
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I bet he's pretty pissed off right now. They really screwed him over. I feel for the guy. :sigh:

John Doe
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I bet he's pretty pissed off right now. They really screwed him over. I feel for the guy. :sigh:

They gave him a chance to play some in his rookie year and they paid him for last year even though he didn't don a uniform. They released him in plenty of time to find a new team. If he is any good at all, someone will sign him and he will land on his feet. I don't see why the guy would complain about how he was treated in Buffalo.

Like a lot of fans, I had hopes for the guy and I was disappointed that he did not get a chance to play last year due to injury. The fact remains that he was not highly thought of coming out of college and was lucky to be drafted. That may or may not have any bearing on how good he can become, but it is some indicator as to how good he is now.

If they bring in someone who is better than Merz, then it is a good move cutting him.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-27-2008, 05:03 PM
When I heard that Wire had neck surgery, I was concerned that he might not be able to come back if the surgery didn't go very well. So, this really isn't that much of a surprise...I guess the surgery just didn't go well enough for him. (I think this pretty much guarantees that the Bills will be bringing in a LB that they will expect to play this offseason.)

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was the case with Merz. Shoulder surgery isn't as tricky as neck surgery, but, depending on what they had to repair in the shoulder, it could be that it was going to take too long to fully heal or that it was something that would make it hard for him to build up his strength the way that they feel that he would need to. I thought that he had a shot at perhaps making it as a replacement for Fowler at center or at least being a good back up, so this is a bit disappointing. (I think that the Bills will have to draft someone late or sign a cheap free agent to be a back-up.)

I didn't expect ATrain to make the team and thought that J.Butler was, at best, a back-up anyway, so neither should be much of a loss. (I have a feeling that the Bills are going to be bringing in a CB at some point, either a free agent or in the draft, because they really do need another body--but I felt that way before they cut Butler in any event.)

kernowboy
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
You got to think that with Merz its the physical side that is the problem.

If his shoulder is bad, there's not a lot the team can do.

ParanoidAndroid
02-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Are you sure you know what you are even talking about? Do you know the particulars behind his release?

gr8slayer
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Are you sure you know what you are even talking about? Do you know the particulars behind his release?
I'm actually pretty aware of the particulars :up:

Ron Burgundy
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, cutting Merz was ******ed. We'll probably have to jump up in the 5th round in order to find a prospect as good as him...and hopefully one without the injuries. Plus, who needs cap money, right? And it's not exactly like there are second string guards and centers growing on trees.

The bottom line is, you don't release a guy of Aaron's stature without first consulting the FANS.

Thus, stupid ass move by a stupid ass organization.

YardRat
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't know about Wire, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Merz back in the fold at some point, depending on how FA and the draft go.

don137
02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
From what I saw at training camp last year Merz stood out as sucking. Since he was in the running for the starter at RG so I paid attention to him. He was often winded and getting beat. I can not help but think the coaches noticed and maybe with the shoulder not better they figure they help the guy out by letting look elsewhere.

pintonick96
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Merz is an easily replaceable lineman. They can draft a lineman with a 5th round pick and be set.

I just feel bad for Coy Wire since he was a great role player and wasnt making too much to get cut. If he can heal soon he'll probably re-sign but if he's unable to pass a physical this year his career in done.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah, cutting Merz was ******ed. We'll probably have to jump up in the 5th round in order to find a prospect as good as him...and hopefully one without the injuries. Plus, who needs cap money, right? And it's not exactly like there are second string guards and centers growing on trees.

The bottom line is, you don't release a guy of Aaron's stature without first consulting the FANS.

Hey! Lookie what drifted in from another night sleeping (OK, passed out) in the gutter!

madness
02-27-2008, 07:09 PM

Thank you.

TigerJ
02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe Merz has an injury that will keep coming back. Injured players that haven't proven themselves like both Merz and Wire have no leverage . They can be brought back in for minimum if they heal.
As a 7th round draft pick on his rookie contract, I don't think Merz was making a whole lot more than minimum as it was.

Al the Bills Fan
02-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Nothing heartbreaking here! It's a shame about Coy Wire though, I hope he is not done for good. He is a great guy, it would be a shame if his career ending like this.

clumping platelets
02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Cap savings: $2.026 million (adjusting for top 51)

Cash to cap savings: $3.22 million

Meathead
02-27-2008, 11:23 PM
man im reeally disappointed that coy couldnt pass the physical and had to be released

i can only hope that maybe he needs more time to heal and if we are lucky he can come back down the road. i thought he was quite valuable to the team as a st ace and able to play any of the lb spots effectively as a backup

sad day right now

jamze132
02-27-2008, 11:27 PM
The only guy on the list I will miss is, well none of them...:dance:

A-Train? Not realling rolling through people anymore...

Wire: Great special teamer who can hopefully be brought back if his kneck is healed.

Merz: Might have been a nice O-lineman one day but he had the injury bug. A 7th rounder is nothing to fret over, he can be replaced...

Butler: Who?

Meathead
02-28-2008, 01:34 AM
the kneck bones connected to the khead bone

Dujek
02-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Wire was useful for depth, but if he's not fit enough to play then there's no point keeping him around.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Is there a cap, or contract-related, reason for keeping Kevin Everett on the roster, or are the Bills just being sensitive to his situation?

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Is there a cap, or contract-related, reason for keeping Kevin Everett on the roster, or are the Bills just being sensitive to his situation?

They can't waive injured players and I really am not sure of his status or if he is even still on the roster.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
They can't waive injured players and I really am not sure of his status or if he is even still on the roster.
He's still on the roster, at least on the Bills' website. Must be his injury status, although I'm pretty sure teams often reach injury settlements with players. I guess they haven't done that yet.

mysticsoto
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Yes, it was stupid to cut Merz, someone who's been injured constantly and hasn't even been a starter in the league...

Ickybaluky
02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
He's still on the roster, at least on the Bills' website. Must be his injury status, although I'm pretty sure teams often reach injury settlements with players. I guess they haven't done that yet.

I'm sure that is the case. Unless he has some sort of roster bonus due, there is not hurry. Plus, I'm willing to bet WC insurance is covering the cost.

Team's can waive injured players, but generally teams will negotiate a settlement first. You can still waive the injured player if a settlement can't be reached, but that would leave the settlement in the hands of a grievance process, which teams like to avoid.

It could be that they realize he will never play again and are awaiting the formality of his filing retirement papers and getting the doctor's proof of his injury being career-ending. That might be a stipulation of the insurance, where if they waive him prior to retirement it might void the insurance.

Bulldog
02-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Yes, it was stupid to cut Merz, someone who's been injured constantly and hasn't even been a starter in the league...

How dare this stupid organization cut Merz when the 7th rounder with perpetual injury problems was on the verge of actually practicing. Some people on this board never cease to amaze me.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I understand everyone's disdain for Merz, who only played one year as a backup and then was hurt all of last year.

But he was big, with a mean streak, and I had hopes for him moving to Center to replace Fowler.

Just proves what I already knew, however. The Bills know a lot more about their personnel than I do.

ghz in pittsburgh
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM

That really showed us some guys smarts here like gr8slayer or Mikey

ParanoidAndroid
02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm actually pretty aware of the particulars :up:

Why did they release him, then? Why was it stupid? What are you basing this opinion on? I would like to see the transcript of your interviews with the coaches and front office.

jamze132
02-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I understand everyone's disdain for Merz, who only played one year as a backup and then was hurt all of last year.

But he was big, with a mean streak, and I had hopes for him moving to Center to replace Fowler.

Just proves what I already knew, however. The Bills know a lot more about their personnel than I do.
I had the same hopes for him as well but it shouldn't be too hard to find an identical player late in the draft or FA.