PDA

View Full Version : Cap room - Seriously

YardRat
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I've seen figures the last couple of days indicating the Bills are anywhere from 20mil to 29mil under the cap for this year, which corresponds to a margin of error of between 33% and 50% which is pretty ridiculous.

Does anybody really know just how far under the cap we are?

Stewie
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
overdorf .. but really, it's too much of a reliance game unless you actually have access to the contracts.. and unfortunately that reliance is on the press.

shelby
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
clump's 2008 salary cap page (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php)

X-Era
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I've seen figures the last couple of days indicating the Bills are anywhere from 20mil to 29mil under the cap for this year, which corresponds to a margin of error of between 33% and 50% which is pretty ridiculous.

Does anybody really know just how far under the cap we are?
Wait a minute...

Not to be a smartass...

But are you seriously coming to a fan board and calculating the error of how well we are keeping the Bills books?

How dare we as unpaid fans who will never see the inside of the Bills front office, and never will gaze upon the balance books, make an error when projecting a ficticious salary cap number... I mean seriously.

Considering no one but the Bills knows the real answer, I would consider any numbers you get a bonus, rather than criticizing how flawed they may or may not be.

YardRat
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Wait a minute...

Not to be a smartass...

But are you seriously coming to a fan board and calculating the error of how well we are keeping the Bills books?

Cosidering no one but the Bills knows the real answer, I would consider any numbers you get a bonus, rather than criticizing how flawed they may or may not be.

I'm not using figures that I've seen in posts, but in articles, reports, etc from various sports and news sites.

Considering the number of posts and threads started that refer to the cap number, especially around FA time, I don't think it's irrelevant to attempt to get the most accurate # possible and be able to use it as a factor.

If someone *****es about the Bills being 'cheap' because they have '29mil under the cap' to spend, when in reality it's closer to 20mil....Who's the dumb ass?

"Considering no one but the Bills knows the real answer"...then it's pretty damn ******ed to pass judgement on them, good or bad, if the reality is you are clueless. Right?

X-Era
02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm not using figures that I've seen in posts, but in articles, reports, etc from various sports and news sites.

Considering the number of posts and threads started that refer to the cap number, especially around FA time, I don't think it's irrelevant to attempt to get the most accurate # possible and be able to use it as a factor.

If someone *****es about the Bills being 'cheap' because they have '29mil under the cap' to spend, when in reality it's closer to 20mil....Who's the dumb ass?

"Considering no one but the Bills knows the real answer"...then it's pretty damn ******ed to pass judgement on them, good or bad, if the reality is you are clueless. Right?

Dont disagree, but if were not signing someone for even 8 mill per when we have either 20 or 29 mill in cap room, what difference does it make what the exact number is?

The point is we have more than enough.

YardRat
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Dont disagree, but if were not signing someone for even 8 mill per when we have either 20 or 29 mill in cap room, what difference does it make what the exact number is?

The point is we have more than enough.

You are focusing on one signing, though...not the entire picture. 8mil out of twenty is a lot bigger deal than 8 out of twenty-nine, especially when you have multiple holes to fill.

As a fan, I think it's irritating to have the cap number referred to so frequently in the course of an argument or discussion when nobody in the media can honestly report a somewhat accurate figure.

Midwesternbillsfan
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The NFL Network's figure was $39.4 million and that was introduced and displayed five days ago on Friday, presumably after the leaguewide "LTBE" ("Likely to be Earned") incentives were worked in (they were publicized earlier in the week). I know there have been conflicting figures for our- and other teams'- cap figures, but since the NFLN is the NFL's own station, these have enhanced credibility. Who are you going to trust over the NFL? Peter King? Alex Marvez? The Dallas Morning News? The San Diego Union-Tribune? $39.4 million looks to be the number.

clumping platelets
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
The reported amounts will be higher once cap adjustments are made :ontome:

Don't Panic
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
The NFL Network's figure was $39.4 million and that was introduced and displayed five days ago on Friday, presumably after the leaguewide "LTBE" ("Likely to be Earned") incentives were worked in (they were publicized earlier in the week). I know there have been conflicting figures for our- and other teams'- cap figures, but since the NFLN is the NFL's own station, these have enhanced credibility. Who are you going to trust over the NFL? Peter King? Alex Marvez? The Dallas Morning News? The San Diego Union-Tribune? $39.4 million looks to be the number.

Not only that but yesterday of NFL Radio I heard that we have 49 guys under contract and that much space. Takes away any excuses of not going after one or two top flight FAs.

jamze132
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Not only that but yesterday of NFL Radio I heard that we have 49 guys under contract and that much space. Takes away any excuses of not going after one or two top flight FAs.
I agree. We need to make a splash.

colin
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
hey clump, good work but i have a Q

why is lynch so high in the cash to cap estimate?

the numbers don't seem to add up, did you forget to put in a big bonus he's getting paid?

clumping platelets
02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
colin..I will answer your question later :D