PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency vs. the Draft

Don't Panic
02-28-2008, 07:24 AM
I have a hard time looking at a lot of the mock drafts right now because many NFL team needs are going to be addressed in the next couple of weeks via free agency. That will obviously transform the look of the draft, at least outside of the first couple picks. On the eve of FA, I'd like to know where people would like to see our needs addressed, either in FA or in the draft. Since FA comes 1st, you have to make a call as to whether or not we should fill a need there, and then you will have de facto draft needs left. So this poll asks whether or not you would like to see the following areas filled in free agency. Choose as many as you like to be filled there... then offer up your specific desired players in a post below. I have listed what I consider to be our most pressing (and by that read legitimate based on where we have money invested) needs. Sorry in advance if anyone felt there was something left out.

Don't Panic
02-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I should have mentioned trades count as FA. Think of it as rookies vs. veterans.

My choices:
QB - Brian Greise or Trent Green if available. Todd Collins as a consolation.
WR - Bryant Jonson, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford in that order
WLB - Lance Brigss. If we don't go after him, I'd rather see us get one in the draft and go after a veteran DT.

gr8slayer
02-28-2008, 07:34 AM
There is honestly no one in FA that really does anything for me this year. I'd rather have a great draft.

Night Train
02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
I'd like to address all the positions you listed, prior to the Draft.

Realistically ? Make sure you get a WR with NFL experience. Rarely do they make an impact as rookies.

kernowboy
02-28-2008, 07:35 AM
I favour WLB in Free Agency.

At WR, in the draft we see a multitude of players who can become talented No2s athe position. Incredibly several players in Day2 could easily step up and be Marques Colston Lite.

With QB, we need an experienced player to be a backup but we still have a backup QB in place.

There is little depth at TE in Free Agency so the draft is where we need to look. The same can be said for CB and DT whilst correspondingly there is considerable depth in the draft in these positions.

And if our free agent doesn't work out, or Ellison doesn't regain his 2006 form, there is a great LB class coming out in 2009 and an embarassment of riches to choose from.

kernowboy
02-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I should have mentioned trades count as FA. Think of it as rookies vs. veterans.

My choices:
QB - Brian Greise or Trent Green if available. Todd Collins as a consolation.
WR - Bryant Jonson, DJ Hackett, Ernest Wilford in that order
WLB - Lance Brigss. If we don't go after him, I'd rather see us get one in the draft and go after a veteran DT.

Which veteran DT? - I think even outside of Briggs there are several LBs still left in FA who carry a higher and better starting grade than the DTs.

And the DTs in this draft class are better than the LBs.

Ellison played well in 2006 with talented colleagues like Fletcher and Spikes/Crowell and poorly when forced to play with DiGiorgio, Haggan and Stammer. I'd give him another year because we can always draft from a even better class at LB in 2009.

kernowboy
02-28-2008, 07:40 AM
I'd like to address all the positions you listed, prior to the Draft.

Realistically ? Make sure you get a WR with NFL experience. Rarely do they make an impact as rookies.

Marques Colston.

Don't Panic
02-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Which veteran DT? - I think even outside of Briggs there are several LBs still left in FA who carry a higher and better starting grade than the DTs.

And the DTs in this draft class are better than the LBs.

Ellison played well in 2006 with talented colleagues like Fletcher and Spikes/Crowell and poorly when forced to play with DiGiorgio, Haggan and Stammer. I'd give him another year because we can always draft from a even better class at LB in 2009.

DT would more likely be via trade, since a number have been on the block as of late. I hate to completely give up on Ellison, but I think there's too great a risk of him not getting it done. He is best as the 4th LB IMO.

Night Train
02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Marques Colston.

Go ahead and list 2 more, while I compile a list of 300 who didn't.

Don't Panic
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Go ahead and list 2 more, while I compile a list of 300 who didn't.

Gotta agree there... WR can be great investments, but rarely do they come out of the gate ready to play. This is the one position I think we have to address in FA.

The Jokeman
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Marques Colston.
For every Colston there's tons of WRs don't pan out. Just using his draft class as an example. I've bolded those that are starting for their teams and made significant impacts. I didn't include Hester as his impact is on STs and not as a WR. List courtesy of drafthistory.com Yet only Colston only made a big mpact as a rookie. The rest did in their second seasons.

1 1 25 25 Santonio Holmes Steelers Ohio State
2 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Patriots Florida
3 2 12 44 Sinorice Moss Giants Miami (FL)
4 2 20 52 Greg Jennings Packers Western Michigan
5 2 25 57 Devin Hester Bears Miami (FL)
6 3 14 78 Travis Wilson Browns Oklahoma
7 3 18 82 Derek Hagan Dolphins Arizona State
8 3 20 84 Brandon Williams 49ers Wisconsin
9 3 26 90 Maurice Stovall Buccaneers Notre Dame
10 3 31 95 Willie Reid Steelers Florida State
11 4 3 100 Michael Robinson 49ers Penn State
12 4 6 103 Brad Smith Jets Missouri
13 4 7 104 Cory Rodgers Packers Texas Christian
14 4 12 109 Jason Avant Eagles Michigan
15 4 14 111 Demetrius Williams Ravens Oregon
16 4 18 115 Will Blackmon Packers Boston College
17 4 22 119 Brandon Marshall Broncos Central Florida
18 4 28 125 Skyler Green Cowboys Louisiana State
19 4 33 130 Domenik Hixon Broncos Akron
20 5 11 144 Marques Hagans Rams Virginia
21 5 14 147 Jeremy Bloom Eagles Colorado
22 6 2 171 Mike Hass Saints Oregon State
23 6 3 172 Jonathan Orr Titans Wisconsin
24 6 6 175 Delanie Walker 49ers Central Missouri State
25 6 15 184 Adam Jennings Falcons Fresno State
26 6 21 190 Jeff Webb Chiefs San Diego State
27 7 1 209 Ethan Kilmer Bengals Penn State
28 7 10 218 Todd Watkins Cardinals Brigham Young
29 7 23 231 Bennie Brazell Bengals Louisiana State
30 7 25 233 Devin Aromashodu Dolphins Auburn
31 7 41 249 Ben Obomanu Seahawks Auburn
32 7 43 251 David Anderson Texans Colorado State
33 7 44 252 Marques Colston Saints Hofstra
34 7 47 255 Kevin McMahan Raiders Maine

Jan Reimers
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd definitely like to get a QB like Brian Griese in FA. Trent is young. We should have an experienced backup.

CB, too, because I don't want to spend a high draft pick on one.

Michael82
02-28-2008, 11:37 AM
For every Colston there's tons of WRs don't pan out. Just using his draft class as an example. I've bolded those that are starting for their teams and made significant impacts. I didn't include Hester as his impact is on STs and not as a WR. List courtesy of drafthistory.com Yet only Colston only made a big mpact as a rookie. The rest did in their second seasons.
Wow. Look at all the bums on that list. When you see it all spread out like that, it really makes sense why it's better to sign a FA receiver to help your team right away, instead of wait 3 years for your WR to develop.

yordad
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
To me it comes down to available FA and draft depth. The draft is deep at WR and TE. And, it seems rather shallow when it comes to "sure things" at DT. WLB are available in FA, and FA CB are basically non-existant or expansive.

FA- WLB, DT
Draft- WR, TE, CB
Oh, and assuming JP is gone, we would be in need of a vet QB.

Also, I think this is an excellent question.

bigbub2352
02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
i would normally say DT but with slim pickens in fa, we should concentrate on offense, unless we throw a bunch of money at OLB

DraftBoy
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Wow. Look at all the bums on that list. When you see it all spread out like that, it really makes sense why it's better to sign a FA receiver to help your team right away, instead of wait 3 years for your WR to develop.

He missed a couple;

Sinorice Moss
Devin Hester
Maurice Stovall
Jason Avant
Ben Obomanu

Have all become decent players, Chad Jackson may yet, but with NE depth its hard to tell. 9 out of 34 (Delaine Walker is a TE) is a 26.4% so your hitting a just above 1 out of every 4, thats not bad at all.

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
DT via trade even if it meant giving up a draft pick. Rookie DT's take time to develop. Even a top Dt draft pick may not beat out Kyle Williams.

The Jokeman
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
He missed a couple;

Sinorice Moss
Devin Hester
Maurice Stovall
Jason Avant
Ben Obomanu

Have all become decent players, Chad Jackson may yet, but with NE depth its hard to tell. 9 out of 34 (Delaine Walker is a TE) is a 26.4% so your hitting a just above 1 out of every 4, thats not bad at all.
I should have specified that I only bolded guys that are #1 or #2 WRs since that what we're looking to get. Guys like Moss, Stovall, Avant and Oobomanu are all #3s/#4s for their respective teams. Granted they might all take steps forwards in 2009 but that still has to be seen. Hester's been a outstanding return man but still not a quality NFL WR.

yordad
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
To me it comes down to available FA and draft depth. The draft is deep at WR and TE. And, it seems rather shallow when it comes to "sure things" at DT. WLB are available in FA, and FA CB are basically non-existant or expansive.

FA- WLB, DT
Draft- WR, TE, CB
Oh, and assuming JP is gone, we would be in need of a vet QB.

Also, I think this is an excellent question.BOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAA baby!!!!!