PDA

View Full Version : The anti-cheap bastard rule!

X-Era
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Apparently there is a rule that teams MUST spend AT LEAST a certain amount of the cap! I never knew that. Its the salary cap floor. Ive heard of raising the roof, but with Ralph, lets raise the floor! Lets make it so that a team can only have 20 mill in cap room by the start of the season. That will force the cheapos to extend their own or sign some fresh meat. -------------------------------------------- Heres the blurb: One of the realities of having $44 million under the salary cap is the mandate to reach the little-known salary floor. As explained by some Internet hack on SportingNews.com, the Buccaneers must spend $28 million of that 2008 cap room in order to comply with the $100.22 million per-team minimum. The number comes from the CBA. For 2008, the salary floor is 86.4 percent of the salary cap. Some teams use devices such as "likely to be earned incentives" that won't as a practical matter be earned in an effort to carry cap money over from one year to the next. The union often balks at this approach, since it creates in essence a no-interest loan against the payroll obligation. If the Bucs would use a device like that to satisfy the spending minimum, the NFL Players Association surely would take action. You can read more about that and nine-other free agency topics right here.

jamze132
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I like that rule to an extent but in 10-15 years as salary caps rise, it will crush small markets. I wonder if that was Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyders idea to rid the NFL of pussy cities.

X-Era
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I like that rule to an extent but in 10-15 years as salary caps rise, it will crush small markets. I wonder if that was Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyders idea to rid the NFL of pussy cities. If you cant afford it sell the team to someone who can! Buffalo will always have enough money if they put a SB team on the field, its just that simple.

YardRat
02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I like that rule to an extent but in 10-15 years as salary caps rise, it will crush small markets. I wonder if that was Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyders idea to rid the NFL of pussy cities.

I believe it was actually the NFLPA's idea to combat Mike Brown-type ownership practices.