PDA

View Full Version : ESPN FA Guide

BigGabes23
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_matt&id=3268773

I think this might make some people on the board happy...

hydro
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
<!---------------------INLINE HEADSHOT (END)-------------------->Free agent: LB Lance Briggs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6404)
Best fit: Buffalo Bills
Here's why: Briggs is only 27 years old and in the prime of his productive career. Briggs didn't receive as much of the limelight as Brian Urlacher (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5038) in Chicago, but with the Bills, he would very quickly establish himself as this defense's top dog, something that Buffalo needs very badly. Of course, Dick Jauron is familiar with what Briggs brings to the table from their time together with the Bears, and with Paul Posluszny (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8288) returning from injury, the Bills could all of a sudden have a very formidable group of linebackers.

Too bad its probably unlikely.

X-Era
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_matt&id=3268773

I think this might make some people on the board happy... Id absolutely love it. Frankly, I dont care if we dont sign another expensive FA if we can land him.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Id absolutely love it. Frankly, I dont care if we dont sign another expensive FA if we can land him.
We have needs in DT, WR, TE, backup QB, and C, but all you want is a big name LB and you don't care if we don't sign anyone else?

gr8slayer
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
There's a better chance that Miyagi is our opening day OLB than Briggs playing here.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
There's a better chance that Miyagi is our opening day OLB than Briggs playing here.
Hey I'd give them 2 good plays for the league minimum salary. That'd be like 5 years of my current pay.

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
The writer of that article is an idiot.

Chicago is still stuck with huge cap on Cedric Benson, and he's got Michael Turner AND Julius Jones going there.

Pure fantasy.

gr8slayer
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey I'd give them 2 good plays for the league minimum salary. That'd be like 5 years of my current pay.
Wouldn't it be great to be a third stringer?

Mr. Miyagi
02-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Nah I don't want to move from city to city.

On my 3rd play I'd get crushed and tear my ACL. My football career will be over, after rehab I'll walk just fine but no more competitive contact sports again in my life.

That'd be back to my current normal life but collecting lifetime NFL disability.

I can dig that. :up:

Philagape
02-28-2008, 01:19 PM
If pigs could fly ...

Mitchy moo
02-28-2008, 01:23 PM
We've been the supposed landing spot of Briggs for a while, no way it happens.

Jeff1220
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't discount anything. There were rumors last year that the Bills were inquiring w/Chicago about a trade, but between the picks and $$, the Bills wouldn't do it. If it's just the $$, with no pick to trade involved, who knows?

superbills
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
We have needs in DT, WR, TE, backup QB, and C, but all you want is a big name LB and you don't care if we don't sign anyone else?

I think he meant that it would be fine if that's the only BIG name we sign, not that we wouldn't sign anyone else. I tend to agree. Give me Briggs and the rest of the guys can be mid-line players or draft picks.

X-Era
02-28-2008, 01:47 PM
We have needs in DT, WR, TE, backup QB, and C, but all you want is a big name LB and you don't care if we don't sign anyone else? No, didnt say that, what I mean is if thats our only big namer or even high priced guy Im fine with that, get the rest from the draft. Our 1st 2 picks could easily net us 2 starters, thats adding 3 starters from the offseason. I dont agree that we need a center, a backup center maybe. And a backup QB can be a fairly cheap vet.

Jaybird
02-28-2008, 01:53 PM
We can all dream

Night Train
02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
It's a nice thought but come midnight, the 49ers and the Redskins will start an expensive bidding war for him.

Mitchy moo
02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
It's a nice thought but come midnight, the 49ers and the Redskins will start an expensive bidding war for him.

True.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Do the Redskins EVER run out of cap room?

hydro
02-28-2008, 02:09 PM

They must have the best capologists in the business.

Michael82
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
:pray:

jamze132
02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Not when Jerry Jones is your best friend...

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM
No, didnt say that, what I mean is if thats our only big namer or even high priced guy Im fine with that, get the rest from the draft. .
Briggs is not gonna be enough for us to catch up with the Pats whos in our division. Briggs alone isn't gonna do squat against them.

If we had a team thats primed and ready to make a run at the sb then by all means, use the draft for future starters. If we're gonna depend on draft picks to win next season, we're not gonna catch up with the Pats next year (I don't care if we draft Dorsey , he's not gonna stop the Pats either) and the Fins or jets could catch up with us.

We should fill our needs with proven FA's NOW. We have the cap room to do so. I'm tired ofwaiting for draft picks to mature and take us to the promise land if they don't bust.

hydro
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Briggs is not gonna be enough for us to catch up with the Pats whos in our division. Briggs alone isn't gonna do squat against them.

If we had a team thats primed and ready to make a run at the sb then by all means, use the draft for future starters. If we're gonna depend on draft picks to win next season, we're not gonna catch up with the Pats next year (I don't care if we draft Dorsey , he's not gonna stop the Pats either) and the Fins or jets could catch up with us.

We should fill our needs with proven FA's NOW. We have the cap room to do so. I'm tired ofwaiting for draft picks to mature and take us to the promise land if they don't bust.

You would be the perfect Redskins fan.

ddaryl
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Someone Briggs this way comes !!!!!

RockStar36
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
That would be nice but I have a feeling that people write articles like that because they know it will get the message boards in a frenzy.

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
You would be the perfect Redskins fan.
Nope. The skins have the need to fill every position with probowlers. Did you read somewhere where I said we should? You can wait all you want for draft picks to mature.

I've always agreed with Marv building through the draft. It's time for those we drafted the last 2 years to step up. Just add the other positions with proven ones not necesarily probowlers.

I'm not gonna wait for this years draft to mature. If Dick fails this year, we'll be rebuilding again with the new HC next year and we're back to square 1. What then? Will you be patient again with the new headcoaches draft picks to mature? that new headcoach may want to bring in his own qb and get rid of your boy Trent. What then?

Owen DeBoard
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Briggs would be good but without a good defensive line in front of him he will only be an average linebacker. This would be like signing Drew Bledsoe with a below average o-line like we did.

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I would **** myself with excitement if we signed Briggs.. our LB corps could potentially be one of the best in the NFL as Poz grows.

hydro
02-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Nope. The skins have the need to fill every position with probowlers. Did you read somewhere where I said we should? You can wait all you want for draft picks to mature.

I've always agreed with Marv building through the draft. It's time for those we drafted the last 2 years to step up. Just add the other positions with proven ones not necesarily probowlers.

I'm not gonna wait for this years draft to mature. If Dick fails this year, we'll be rebuilding again with the new HC next year and we're back to square 1. What then? Will you be patient again with the new headcoaches draft picks to mature? that new headcoach may want to bring in his own qb and get rid of your boy Trent. What then?

Proven FA or Pro Bowler, whats the difference? Just because people voted for their favorite player they are that much better?They are still FA that make top dollar to come in while possibly helping us but that is even a gamble.

If you pay close attention to the NFL you would see that rookies are more and more relied upon in the current NFL. I have even heard it throughout the combine, GMs stating that they can't miss in the draft because rookies are what can put the team over the top. What team out there went out and won a superbowl after gobbling up a ton a FA? You will be hard pressed to find many.

Now this is not to say that I wouldn't like to see 2-3 free agents come to town but I don't want to fill up our cap with them.

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Proven FA or Pro Bowler, whats the difference? Just because people voted for their favorite player they are that much better?They are still FA that make top dollar to come in while possibly helping us but that is even a gamble.

If you pay close attention to the NFL you would see that rookies are more and more relied upon in the current NFL. I have even heard it throughout the combine, GMs stating that they can't miss in the draft because rookies are what can put the team over the top. What team out there went out and won a superbowl after gobbling up a ton a FA? You will be hard pressed to find many.

Now this is not to say that I wouldn't like to see 2-3 free agents come to town but I don't want to fill up our cap with them.
what ar you saving your cap for? We need to win next season or we're rebuilding with another HC. We are a 7-9 team and relying on rookies isn't gonna improve on that next year. If we do land a good one maybe we'll improve to 8-8. Another mediocre season.

Do you think that it will take Parcells and the fins 3 years to catch up with us?

We're already relying on Trent on the offensive side of the ball. Don't think I want to rely on a bunch of rookie defensively too.

The Pats we're already a sb team prior to last year. They brought in THOMAS ,Welker, and Moss and are still building their future with draft picks. It's time we follow their blueprint or we'll forever be their B1tch and forever rebuilding.

hydro
02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
what ar you saving your cap for? We need to win next season or we're rebuilding with another HC. We are a 7-9 team and relying on rookies isn't gonna improve on that next year. If we do land a good one maybe we'll improve to 8-8. Another mediocre season.

Do you think that it will take Parcells and the fins 3 years to catch up with us?

We're already relying on Trent on the offensive side of the ball. Don't think I want to rely on a bunch of rookie defensively too.

The Pats we're already a sb team prior to last year. They brought in Welker, and Moss and are still building their future with draft picks. It's time we follow their blueprint or we'll forever be their B1tch and forever rebuilding.

So if you were the Bills GM how many FA would you bring in? Would it be in the 1-3 range or 4-6 player range? I understand you want to bring in FA, and so do I, but we might be on the same page if you don't want to get ridiculous...

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
So if you were the Bills GM how many FA would you bring in? Would it be in the 1-3 range or 4-6 player range? I understand you want to bring in FA, and so do I, but we might be on the same page if you don't want to get ridiculous...
A stud DT , TE and Briggs. :up: A wr via the draft can contribute right away

hydro
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
A stud DT , TE and Briggs. :up: A wr via the draft can contribute right away
Well that is not unreasonable. In that scenario I could still see us getting a CB and interior lineman from the Draft that would compete for a starting spot. But going beyond that (3) would be just too many players via FA IMO.

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Well that is not unreasonable. In that scenario I could still see us getting a CB and interior lineman from the Draft that would compete for a starting spot. But going beyond that (3) would be just too many players via FA IMO.
see, we're not far from each other. You might be perfect redskins fan too ya know ;)

hydro
02-28-2008, 03:39 PM
see, we're not far from each other. You might be perfect redskins fan too ya know ;)

Well you made it seem like we need to fill every lacking position with a FA which would take 6 players minimum. That is just getting out of hand.

Funny thing is the Redskins fans are probably a lot like us when it comes to positive emotions in the offseason just they get all the FA they want but still get let down. :rofl:

justasportsfan
02-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Well you made it seem like we need to fill every lacking position with a FA which would take 6 players minimum. That is just getting out of hand. : you read wrong good sir. I don't think we have too many HUGE holes. But the ones where we do (DT) , I feel should be addressed with proven and not potentials. Potential is good for down the road. Dick is trapped in an alley where he has to win now or move on.

Funny thing is the Redskins fans are probably a lot like us when it comes to positive emotions in the offseason just they get all the FA they want but still get let down. :rofl: they deserve it, we bills fans don't although sometimes I think we do when we keep giving everyone a free pass. Egad, I'm truning into OP.