PDA

View Full Version : Just Hours Before FA, You're "Realistic" Expectations

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 07:41 PM
FA is just upon us.. I heard the phrase and TV today that for football fans, this is like christmas eve. Well, it really is. 32 NFL teams have a chance to improve themselves come midnite.

Anyway, as we head into what is an obvious critical offseason for BUffalo, what are your expectations, realistically? Everybody would love to add Lance Briggs, Alan Faneca and Randy Moss to their team, but that's not going to happen.

Here's a brief overview of what I hope happens in the next few days/weeks-- and I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

* Tight end WILL be addressed. I originally forgot that Gaines is also a UFA, whom I like better than Royal. I'd like to say Crumpler would be our guy, but odds are someone is going to give me too much money. I'm sorta locked on Eric Johnson. REgardless, we need a tight end better than Royal, especially with a QB like Edwards who's very fond of looking for the TE.

* Even though nobody is talking about, and with good reason mainly because so much is tied into Schobel and Kelsay already. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sign a meaningul DE early in free agency. I think the Giants provided the formula you can't have too many good pass rushers. Odom from Tennessee would be a good target. Don't forget, we're losing Hargrove and nobody knows the status of Denney for the future. So I'm pretty certain we're going to throw some bucks at a guy. Of course, this could also come by way of the draft; but so could a 1,000 other positions.

* Everyone is talking about the #2 WR--- but don't be 100% certain it's going to happen in free agency. Hackett has the most talent, but is also the biggest risk. Johnson has a lot of ability, but has never produced the way Arizona hoped. Yes, he was stuck behind Boldin and Fitz, but he's also had chances to shine when one of them went down, and he didn't. Wilford has that prototypical size we'd like-- but he's not overly consistent and we may have to get in a bidding war for him. I"m hoping for Hackett but realistically I'm looking at two options: Jabar Gaffney, who's much better than people think. And I'm also suddenly looking at Isaac Bruce, who's old but could step in a great stop-gap #2 while we groom a receiver selected from the draft. Bruce had 730+ yds last year, he's far from washed up.

* I think we're going to sign either a center or a guard (not sure which one). Our OL as a whole improved, but we're still iffy at right guard and center is the obvious weak line. It's just not a good FA class at center, outside of Faine, who I don't think is worth a huge contract. At guard, Jake Scott from Indy would be an instant upgrade over Butler, who would then provide quality depth throughout the OL.

* As far as DT goes, I think this is one spot where we REALLY, REALLY need to roll the dice and take a chance. The FA DT market is complete and total garbage (don't get fooled into thinking Starks is any good). With Kelly resigning with Oakland (I still can't believe he got that much) pretty much all the talented DT's are on the trading block. Rogers, STroud, Williams, Jenkins. I think it's worth it to move a third rounder, maybe even a second rounder for one of them.. Look, our defense will NOT get better if we're not better up front and in the middle. Larry Tripplett and Kyle Williams are what they are. They're not going to get it done. We NEED to roll the dice, if one of these talented guys pan out, it is well worth the risk.. They're all potential difference makers.. ONe thing we can't afford to do about it is nothing. DT is one of the hardest positions in football for a rookie to come into, and if you simply draft one, you CANNOT count on him getting plugged in and improving the team in his first, maybe even second year (see first rounder McCargo). Not being able to get to Sopoaga IMO was a blow, the move here is to trade our second rounder to Green Bay for Williams; he'd look mighty good playing with McCargo on this line.

Linebacker is a questionable spot. Aside from Calvin Pace, who some think is better in a 3-4, there are no LB's "realistically" that will be worth what they get. I think Landon Johnson (Bengals) could be a good pickup, he's not great but far better than Ellison, which would push him back to coming off the bench. Briggs is a pipedream (though a good one).

I'm puzzled at corner. Cutting Kiwi was a major surprise to me. I really hope we sign a CB in free agency, becuase I hate the thought of using the 11th pick on one. However, I think that's a reality (drafting one at 11) and here's why. Have you seen the prices of the good corners once they hit the open market? It's insane. The only way to get and keep a good corner for 4-5 years in today's NFL seems to be headed towards drafting your own while he plays out his entire rookie contract. For that reason alone, it leads me to think a CB will be coming to us at #11.

At any rate, I don't even think I said a single big name, other than Corey Williams. What I do know is that after an offseason full of bull**** Wilson front office moves and public comments towards this city; it's time for him to close his old, decrypted mouth and open up his wallet. This team NEEDS to have a real playoff push.

SO it's show and prove time.. Last year was a convienant and somewhat reasonable excuse.. WE had to lose guys like Fletch, Nate, etc. THis year..... NOT the case. No ****ing excuses at all. Let's see what we do.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, before every person makes a "he aint worth it" or "overpaid" comment when someone comes off the board-- remember that EVERY TEAM does it when its a guy they need. Remember that Dockery got $49 million (7 per) last year.. Every team has to do it to get what they need.

TacklingDummy
02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
No big names.

Three or four contracts for 3 years $5-6 Million.

BuffaloBillsStampede
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I am almost positive that tight end will be signed almost immediatly. A WR will be signed and probably a corner since we released Thomas today. With that said I would still love for us to draft all three of those positions. I hope we stay away from the DT's in free agency and get one of thsoe in the draft also.

-Not sure which tight end it will be but for some reason I dont think it will be Crumpler.

-Probably Wilford for the WR but I prefer Hackett.

-I don't really know who is out there for corner free agents.

OpIv37
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I think we get one big name- maybe Crumpler- and then a bunch of CB's and WRs that no one has ever heard of for $1.5 million a season.

YardRat
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
I expect a couple of decent signings early along with maybe one or two 'Who the hell is that?' and then it will level off to a few tier two and three FA's.

I don't expect the Bills to make any trades this early, or for them to make a major 'splash' signing a la Briggs.

Philagape
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Realistic? Marty Booker.

zone
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Eric Moulds

X-Era
02-28-2008, 08:39 PM
FA is just upon us.. I heard the phrase and TV today that for football fans, this is like christmas eve. Well, it really is. 32 NFL teams have a chance to improve themselves come midnite.

Anyway, as we head into what is an obvious critical offseason for BUffalo, what are your expectations, realistically? Everybody would love to add Lance Briggs, Alan Faneca and Randy Moss to their team, but that's not going to happen.

Here's a brief overview of what I hope happens in the next few days/weeks-- and I don't think I'm being unrealistic.

* Tight end WILL be addressed. I originally forgot that Gaines is also a UFA, whom I like better than Royal. I'd like to say Crumpler would be our guy, but odds are someone is going to give me too much money. I'm sorta locked on Eric Johnson. REgardless, we need a tight end better than Royal, especially with a QB like Edwards who's very fond of looking for the TE.

* Even though nobody is talking about, and with good reason mainly because so much is tied into Schobel and Kelsay already. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if we sign a meaningul DE early in free agency. I think the Giants provided the formula you can't have too many good pass rushers. Odom from Tennessee would be a good target. Don't forget, we're losing Hargrove and nobody knows the status of Denney for the future. So I'm pretty certain we're going to throw some bucks at a guy. Of course, this could also come by way of the draft; but so could a 1,000 other positions.

* Everyone is talking about the #2 WR--- but don't be 100% certain it's going to happen in free agency. Hackett has the most talent, but is also the biggest risk. Johnson has a lot of ability, but has never produced the way Arizona hoped. Yes, he was stuck behind Boldin and Fitz, but he's also had chances to shine when one of them went down, and he didn't. Wilford has that prototypical size we'd like-- but he's not overly consistent and we may have to get in a bidding war for him. I"m hoping for Hackett but realistically I'm looking at two options: Jabar Gaffney, who's much better than people think. And I'm also suddenly looking at Isaac Bruce, who's old but could step in a great stop-gap #2 while we groom a receiver selected from the draft. Bruce had 730+ yds last year, he's far from washed up.

* I think we're going to sign either a center or a guard (not sure which one). Our OL as a whole improved, but we're still iffy at right guard and center is the obvious weak line. It's just not a good FA class at center, outside of Faine, who I don't think is worth a huge contract. At guard, Jake Scott from Indy would be an instant upgrade over Butler, who would then provide quality depth throughout the OL.

* As far as DT goes, I think this is one spot where we REALLY, REALLY need to roll the dice and take a chance. The FA DT market is complete and total garbage (don't get fooled into thinking Starks is any good). With Kelly resigning with Oakland (I still can't believe he got that much) pretty much all the talented DT's are on the trading block. Rogers, STroud, Williams, Jenkins. I think it's worth it to move a third rounder, maybe even a second rounder for one of them.. Look, our defense will NOT get better if we're not better up front and in the middle. Larry Tripplett and Kyle Williams are what they are. They're not going to get it done. We NEED to roll the dice, if one of these talented guys pan out, it is well worth the risk.. They're all potential difference makers.. ONe thing we can't afford to do about it is nothing. DT is one of the hardest positions in football for a rookie to come into, and if you simply draft one, you CANNOT count on him getting plugged in and improving the team in his first, maybe even second year (see first rounder McCargo). Not being able to get to Sopoaga IMO was a blow, the move here is to trade our second rounder to Green Bay for Williams; he'd look mighty good playing with McCargo on this line.

Linebacker is a questionable spot. Aside from Calvin Pace, who some think is better in a 3-4, there are no LB's "realistically" that will be worth what they get. I think Landon Johnson (Bengals) could be a good pickup, he's not great but far better than Ellison, which would push him back to coming off the bench. Briggs is a pipedream (though a good one).

I'm puzzled at corner. Cutting Kiwi was a major surprise to me. I really hope we sign a CB in free agency, becuase I hate the thought of using the 11th pick on one. However, I think that's a reality (drafting one at 11) and here's why. Have you seen the prices of the good corners once they hit the open market? It's insane. The only way to get and keep a good corner for 4-5 years in today's NFL seems to be headed towards drafting your own while he plays out his entire rookie contract. For that reason alone, it leads me to think a CB will be coming to us at #11.

At any rate, I don't even think I said a single big name, other than Corey Williams. What I do know is that after an offseason full of bull**** Wilson front office moves and public comments towards this city; it's time for him to close his old, decrypted mouth and open up his wallet. This team NEEDS to have a real playoff push.

SO it's show and prove time.. Last year was a convienant and somewhat reasonable excuse.. WE had to lose guys like Fletch, Nate, etc. THis year..... NOT the case. No ****ing excuses at all. Let's see what we do.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, before every person makes a "he aint worth it" or "overpaid" comment when someone comes off the board-- remember that EVERY TEAM does it when its a guy they need. Remember that Dockery got $49 million (7 per) last year.. Every team has to do it to get what they need. I really think its Wilford, but I just have this feeling that it may also be Briggs or Pace. Moreover, Briggs. Theres too much of a fit for us not to be thinking this way. Maybe just pre-game hype or jitters, who knows, I just have this feeling that Briggs will be a Bill.

Bone
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Terry Cousins or Fabian Washington.

B-DON
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I really think its Wilford, but I just have this feeling that it may also be Briggs or Pace. Moreover, Briggs. Theres too much of a fit for us not to be thinking this way. Maybe just pre-game hype or jitters, who knows, I just have this feeling that Briggs will be a Bill.

so do i

venis2k1
02-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Jeff Posey.

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Forget about Corey Williams.. Being traded to Cleveland.

The Browns are a team that's TRYING to win a championship.. and they are a small market team too. Where do they come up with this money?

raphael120
02-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Wilford. I think he has a good shot.

And I think we NEED to sign an impactful DT as our biggest signing. If we get our impactful DT, I am confident we can fill anyother needs through the draft.

Mike Schopp today said that Lance Briggs is exactly what this team needs. This team has a bunch of OK players but no big impact player and Briggs would be the guy that would take this defense to the next level. But at the same time, you're going to overpay him bigtime and I don't think it's worth it. If i was going to overpay, I'd overpay in the trenches, where we have been focusing. I think we should focus on the Dline this year the same way we addressed the OL last year. Shore up the lines and it will improve the play from the line on back. With a dominant DL, our LB's have more time to make plays and don't have to make up for so many mistakes. Our CB's dont have to be elite, because the WR's dont have enough time to get enough seperation. So really, I dont care if we sign anyone as long as its a big impactful DL guy.

I'm going to stay up late tonight just to see if the Bills do what they did last year and to a preemptive strike on some players.

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I really think its Wilford, but I just have this feeling that it may also be Briggs or Pace. Moreover, Briggs. Theres too much of a fit for us not to be thinking this way. Maybe just pre-game hype or jitters, who knows, I just have this feeling that Briggs will be a Bill.
I'll give you 20-30 million reasons why it won't be Briggs.

raphael120
02-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Briggs has a big connection to Jauron and I remember Briggs saying last year how much he respects Jauron. So I also think if anything, that'll only help us in signing him. That's one of the only reasons why I think we'd have a shot in hell of getting him is because of past connections to Dick. And we know how much Jaurons loves signing people he's coached before. Face it, if Briggs comes here, our defense is no joke anymore.

TacklingDummy
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
The Browns are a team that's TRYING to win a championship.. and they are a small market team too. Where do they come up with this money?

Every team is TRYING to win a championship. But only 1 can.

Randolph D. Lerner has more money than Ebenezer Ralph Wilson.

venis2k1
02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Face it, if Briggs comes here, our defense is no joke anymore.

Briggs plays DT, LB and CB?

Bone
02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
If Lance Briggs came to Buffalo....I don't even know

raphael120
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Briggs plays DT, LB and CB?

Plays a hell of a lot more positions than Ellison can, and all he can play is benchwarmer if you ask me.

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 09:30 PM
I just dont want a repeat of 2006, when we wasted money on Tripplett, Fowler, Price and Royal as our STARTERS.

Not to mention "key" role players like Matt Bowen and Craig Nall; and resigning Reed for $2+ million per year.

What a dispicible excuse for a Pro Evaluation job by our FO in 2006.. wow

Now I'll take 2007 again anyday.. Give me 2 IMPACT guys like Dockery and Walker again, and a role player or two.

Jeff1220
02-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I just dont want a repeat of 2006, when we wasted money on Tripplett, Fowler, Price and Royal as our STARTERS.

Not to mention "key" role players like Matt Bowen and Craig Nall; and resigning Reed for $2+ million per year.

What a dispicible excuse for a Pro Evaluation job by our FO in 2006.. wow

Now I'll take 2007 again anyday.. Give me 2 IMPACT guys like Dockery and Walker again, and a role player or two.

2006 FA was definitely horrendous!

Midwesternbillsfan
02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I expect that obviously either Hackett, Johnson, or Wilford will be signed; that's my order of preference but you can reverse that for the perceptible likelihood of who we'll actually sign.

I do expect Buffalo to be more active than that but I can't make certain where. DT should obviously be a 'no' after the inflation that position took today; Randy Starks is unimpressive, anyway. WLB contains Briggs but if/since he isn't attainable, Landon Johnson is a decisive downgrade from Briggs and not an appreciable upgrade from Ellison. CB? Drayton Florence is now being heavily coveted since he is the second-highest CB after Trufant's and Asomugha's tags. None of the remaining players (Reynaldo Hill, Travis Fisher, etc.) are intriguing. Maybe Buffalo needs to sign a WR and then look at RFA's or reconsider trading for Shaun Rodgers at DT?

Akhippo
02-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I would blow my bankroll on DT. The dline makes the back 7 better. Minny is a perfect example. They have weak DE's and I cant really name the backers, but they are a tough unit.

Then draft a corner in the first. If you have a stiff back end and stiff front end, i would settle for a speedy backer corp. Corner is also a position that pays quick dividends. Short learning curve.

Then Hacket or Johnson, TE in the second, or if we trade the second for a DT, TE and WR in the third. FB in the fourth and so on.

Perfect outcome.

Ebenezer
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Just Hours Before FA, You're "Realistic" Expectations...

are that everything you have typed will be wrong as usual.

patmoran2006
02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
are that everything you have typed will be wrong as usual.
Hells ya

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 05:38 AM
I actually think we will be very quiet. You'll always have the likes of Rosenhaus trying to upsell his clients but I think we can see through that.

There's always fans who want to adopt the Tom Donahoe approach to ruining a roster.

The guys in our front office are prodigies of the likes of Polian, Butler and AJ Smith who have reinforced the value of the draft. it won't have gone unnoticed that the Chargers didn't sign a FA last season and the Giants only one, to a 1-year deal.

After the combine there will be serious consideration to just how deep this years draft is in terms of overall talent. Any intelligent team will be reluctant to give up high draft picks.

A number of the bigger name players also come with significant character or injury issues over their heads which will impact on the real value of giving up high draft picks for them.

Saying that, I would like to see the following, in order of priority.

1) Dan Kreider FB - as good as Lorenzo Neal, 6 years younger and some veteran leadership in the back field

2) Teddy Lehman LB - with Stammer and Haggan as UFAs then this would be a good and cheap pick up because of his starting experience across the unit as well as the fact he's a good STeamer. If we suffer similar injuries, I'd be more confident with him starting. I know Pat hates him, but he upgrades our depth, maintains the ST and might be a starting option.

3) Mike Pearson OT - a former starting NFL LT, currently with the Argos. Cheap and far superior to Chambers

4) Mike Williams WR - the free agency class at WR is poor with good yet injury prone guys (Hackett), underachievers even when given the chance (Johnson) or never will be's who will just get overpaid (Wilford). We might as well take a chance on our own underachiever who is young enough to turn things around as we lose a very small amount of money if it doesn't pan out and well get our No2 in the draft, because it is so deep we can get a starter on Day1 in the 4th

What I'd rather do is to wait to see who might get cut from other teams based on their FA/Draft strategy