X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

What is your opinion on Mario Haggans?

I know he was a backup his entire career, but with his size he seems like he might be a better fit for a 3-4 team.

What do you think?
  • Jaybird
    • Dec 2005

Re: What is your opinion on Mario Haggans?

I think he should never play more then he does!!!

special teams

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Haggan's main drawback as any kind of starting linebacker in the NFL is his lack of footspeed. He runs the 40 somewhere north of 5 seconds. As a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense he will have a hard time pressuring the QB. On passing plays, he can't cover quicker players in the short zone. He would have a tough time covering quick running backs carrying the ball outside. If he takes the wrong angle, almost any back in the league is going to be past him before he can make a correction.

On the plus side, I think he's reasonably smart, very tough and strong.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• ZacGriffi~82
        • Jun 2003

He's made an impact when he's out there. I thought he might be in the doghouse for something.
        www.billsaddiction.com -The Home of Bills Addicts-

Comment

• colin
          Drew's my hero!
          • Jul 2002

he is strong like a damn ox.

new england prolly could get something out of him, as a giant seau type lining up in the gap he's about to rush.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I think Haggan would be a good fit for a 3-4 team, as long as he has two stronger players around him.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Can he take on a OG, shed and tackle?

The Pats haven't had a big, inside hammer since Ted Johnson retired. A run-down guy to play SSILB in a 3-4, with gap responsibilities. Haggans is big enough to play that role, I'm just wondering if people thought he could shed an OG and tackle.

I don't think his speed would be an issue in that role, as he would mainly be playing on run downs and have inside responsibilities. Obviously, he wouldn't be able to cover a lot and wouldn't be a chase guy, but I think a guy like Ted Johnson was what I was thinking of.

TJ was a weapon because he was very good at defeating blocks and bringing guys down. He didn't get pushed off the ball. Haggans has that kind of size, I was wondering if people thought he could take on a block and make the tackle without getting lost in the wash. It is a lot harder than it sounds.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                H to the 12:20
                • Jul 2002

One thing I do know about him, he was by far the funniest in the Bills look-a-like pics this past season (think bowling ball).

Comment

• Marvelous
                  • Feb 2004

He reminds of Farrier (Jets) you know right before he emerged.. I could see him contributing on a 3-4 team. He is a hard hard hitter.. He really flies when he's the gunner. I base that on 1 play the season before last where he flew down the field and totaly blew up the ball carrier. You all would remember the play if we could watch it... I like him. He's better then Stamer & Coy Wire. He plays decent when he comes in for the redzone. JC likes him cause he was on the field alot lastseason, esp redzone.. Sure we were decimated @ LB.. but still....
                  GO BILLS!!! NE
                  Magical Trevor

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                    I know he was a backup his entire career, but with his size he seems like he might be a better fit for a 3-4 team.

What do you think?
                    a bird told me that he wants to play in front of his family in Texas.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                    X