PDA

View Full Version : Jets "very close" in deal to trade for Kris Jenkins

Michael82
02-29-2008, 12:40 AM
With the trading period and free agency opening at midnight Friday, the Jets are expected to be among the league's busiest teams. Thursday night they were deep in talks with the Panthers about defensive lineman Kris Jenkins. That deal reportedly was "very close" and could wind up involving compensation the Jets get from the Saints in the Vilma swap.

Jenkins is a 6-4, 335-pound, three-time Pro Bowler who is more familiar with the 4-3 but probably would fit nicely as an anchor in the 3-4. The Jets have talked to teams about trading tackle Dewayne Robertson, who was handcuffed by the 3-4. They are very interested in Steelers guard Alan Faneca and Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel, who are unrestricted free agents.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0229,0,4306016.story

patmoran2006
02-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm already mad at you.. this doesn't help.

Michael82
02-29-2008, 12:42 AM
If this deal gets done, that leaves Marcus Stroud as one of the only good DTs left on the trade market. I hope that the rumors are true and that Stroud is in Buffalo right now and the Bills make the trade official this afternoon. If that doesn't happen, I'll be pretty pissed, as we could have gotta Jenkins or Williams for a very fair price. I heard 2nd round pick for Williams and 3rd round pick for Jenkins.

CuseJetsFan83
02-29-2008, 02:20 AM
latest rumor is 3rd and 6th on jenkins.... 2 and ?? on stroud

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 02:40 AM
A R2 + more, on a suspension and injury risk who had a poor season last year.

Mmmmm.

CuseJetsFan83
02-29-2008, 02:46 AM
hey, we're trading off vilma for pretty much a conditional 09 pick

Michael82
02-29-2008, 05:51 AM
latest rumor is 3rd and 6th on jenkins.... 2 and ?? on stroud
if that is all it took for Jenkins....I'm pissed off. :mad:

BleedinGreenNC
02-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Word is we got him for a 3rd and a 5th, im hoping those are split up between this year and next year. But overall i think this is a huge upgrade!:dance:

sorry had to update! Original post was wrong.

Hawkeye Pierce
02-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Word is we got him for a 2nd and a 3rd, im hoping those are split up between this year and next year. But overall i think this is a huge upgrade!:dance:
That is an interesting trade. Giving up on Vilma but getting a stud DT. But does that make them significantly better?

Mr. Miyagi
02-29-2008, 07:30 AM
KFFL reported that John Clayton said it was for 3rd and 5th. No link.

Ickybaluky
02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
That is an interesting trade. Giving up on Vilma but getting a stud DT. But does that make them significantly better?

I would think so. David Harris stepped in after he got hurt last year and played great, so losing Vilma isn't that big a blow.

Jenkins gives them the big guy they sorely need in the middle of their defense. It is hard to play the 3-4 without a NT who can hold up against double teams, and the last couple years Robertson was a fish out of water doing that. Jenkins looks the part.

The risk is Jenkins hasn't ever really been a 3-4 NT, so there are different techniques and a different mindset. There is more to it than just being big. I assume they have already talked to him about what his role will be. He had some injury issues a couple years ago as well, but he has played the entire season the last couple years. I am willing to bet Jenkins wants a new contract, which is probably part of the reason Carolina got rid of him.

However, I would think it would be worth the risk, given how little they gave up for him. Big guys are generally at a premium, and he is still young enough to be there a while.

Good trade for the Jets.

patmoran2006
02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
ya its official.. a 3rd and a 5th

don137
02-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Here in Charlotte the buzz on the talk radio is the Panthers are thrilled to get a 3rd and a 5th for him because they were going to cut him next week when his roster bonus was due...