PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Stroud

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 01:52 AM
You take a very good side, that passes the first round of their play-offs and are considered to have very few needs to take their team to the next level.

Their defence is considered pretty good.

They then want to trade one of their top Defensive Tackles, for what is superficially a comparatively low pick.

He has a manageable salary and they don't have any real cap problems.

They have no depth behind this guy, and are low in Round 1 so are unlikely to draft one of the top two DTs in the draft to replace him.

The DT is a suspension and injury risk.

Q: Why would a team make this sort of deal unless there is something they know that we as fans don't?

Marvelous
02-29-2008, 02:03 AM
I agree.. Something suspect... Take The Detroit fat guy who our coach is familiar with... Now if it were Henderson :) .. That dude is a nightmare..Stroud scares me as in bust(for us) if we did snag him.. I could see a suspension followed by a injury right after he returns from his suspension etc.... im kinda serious, i have a bad feeling about him.. Anyone else?

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 02:32 AM
Rogers though is a suspension risk as well

JJamezz
02-29-2008, 02:40 AM
He wants to be traded, and the Jags would rather comply and get value for him than keep him around and risk distracting the team.. I think its as simple as that. Similar to McGahee, except of course their reasons for not wanting to be on their respective teams were different.

Night Train
02-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Doesn't Stroud have some chronic injury concern that could spell an early exit from the NFL ? I thought I read something concerning that. His back, perhaps ?

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Doesn't Stroud have some chronic injury concern that could spell an early exit from the NFL ? I thought I read something concerning that. His back, perhaps ?

Apparently his ankle.

People are talking of giving a Round 3 for him but in some mocks, at this pick in Round 3, Dre Moore of the Terrapins will be available. At 6ft4, 311lbs running a 4.88 40, and with a rep as an intelligent guy who has learned from people like Merriman and D'Qwell Jackson and who has had to be chased from the film room and who plays the 1-Tackle so could easily be paired McCargo, I would look to Moore every single time.

Plus after the draft, teams make cuts from their roster especially if they go the Best Player route, and we could end up picking up a decent DT then if we've not be able to draft one.

jamze132
02-29-2008, 04:28 AM
I highly doubt everything would work out for us to acquire Stroud and him be productive.

Night Train
02-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Found the info. Micro fracture surgery on his ankle a year ago, then hurt it again in December. Hasn't played a full season in 2 years ( missed 12 of the last 28 Jags games ) and was suspended 4 games last year. 30 years old.

Hmm...They'd really have to check him out closely and shouldn't give up any high pick for him. His contract calls for a $5 million salary in 2008, a $5.5 million salary in 2009, and a $6 million salary in 2010. He's one bad day away from a year long suspension, just like Rodgers of Detroit.

The risk/reward factor isn't exactly positive. One is hoping he can return to his health & form from 3 years ago, rather than his recent performance.

Philagape
02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm not worried about the suspension thing. Here's why:

In November of 2007 he was suspended for four weeks for drug/substance abuse. Stroud, a three time pro bowler who tested positive for a banned supplement, had a lot to say about the matter. "The only thing that was tough about it is I didn't want people to think I was a cheater”. "God gave me this talent to play football, and I feel like I do it well, and I don't need any juice or anything else to help me." He said a doctor in Atlanta was the one who gave him this over the counter supplement, when he was rehabbing from his off-season ankle surgery. Stroud later commented, that when he received the supplement from his doctor, he checked the bottles ingredients, with the little booklet the NFL gives each player, for illegal substances, banned in the league. He said no ingredient from the bottle was in the booklet, and he thought he was in the clear to take it to speed the process for his return. So when Stroud found out he had tested positive, he was very surprised and upset. Stroud who was disappointed at the time said it was the first time in his career he had ever used a supplement and it would definitely be the last. When serving the month long absence from his team the Jacksonville Jaguars, he was in the city of Atlanta working out hard at a training facility called Competitive Edge Sports. There Stroud performed at a high level of training to become ready for his comeback to his team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Stroud

He's not a drug abuser or addict.

madness
02-29-2008, 09:07 AM

In November of 2007 he was suspended for four weeks for drug/substance abuse. Stroud, a three time pro bowler who tested positive for a banned supplement, had a lot to say about the matter. "The only thing that was tough about it is I didn't want people to think I was a cheater”. "God gave me this talent to play football, and I feel like I do it well, and I don't need any juice or anything else to help me." He said a doctor in Atlanta was the one who gave him this over the counter supplement, when he was rehabbing from his off-season ankle surgery. Stroud later commented, that when he received the supplement from his doctor, he checked the bottles ingredients, with the little booklet the NFL gives each player, for illegal substances, banned in the league. He said no ingredient from the bottle was in the booklet, and he thought he was in the clear to take it to speed the process for his return. So when Stroud found out he had tested positive, he was very surprised and upset. Stroud who was disappointed at the time said it was the first time in his career he had ever used a supplement and it would definitely be the last. When serving the month long absence from his team the Jacksonville Jaguars, he was in the city of Atlanta working out hard at a training facility called Competitive Edge Sports. There Stroud performed at a high level of training to become ready for his comeback to his team.

I remember him being pretty sincere about it and wasn't too happy getting caught off guard. I'd hate to be the doctor of a pissed off 300lb. DT.

JJamezz
02-29-2008, 09:16 AM
From what I've read, that's the main reason he wants out of Jax - he said he didn't like the way the Jags handled the whole situation. I guess he felt they weren't giving him the benefit of the doubt, I don't know. Sounds like a stand up guy though to me.

colin
02-29-2008, 09:32 AM
I remember him being pretty sincere about it and wasn't too happy getting caught off guard. I'd hate to be the doctor of a pissed off 300lb. DT.

stroud is 300 pounds if you exclude a leg an arm and a head. dude is MASSIVE, and not fat.

i do feel he is a natural freak who works out hard and loves to bang in the middle.

he felt thrown under the bus by his team for not standing by him over the suspension and i think he's the kind of guy who takes that to heart.

to me the big risk is his ankle, if it's ok i'll take him for a 3rd or combo of 4th and conditional or something.

you put him in the middle and mccargo becomes a stud. you can also count our DEs for 20+ sacks.

you guys think poz shows promise? put the c and g on stroud and with mccargo or tripps rushing up the field poz will have clean shots at full speed into the ball carrier.

IF HEALTHY stroud is that over the top physical guy that can make our whole D shine.

mysticsoto
02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
stroud is 300 pounds if you exclude a leg an arm and a head. dude is MASSIVE, and not fat.

i do feel he is a natural freak who works out hard and loves to bang in the middle.

he felt thrown under the bus by his team for not standing by him over the suspension and i think he's the kind of guy who takes that to heart.

to me the big risk is his ankle, if it's ok i'll take him for a 3rd or combo of 4th and conditional or something.

you put him in the middle and mccargo becomes a stud. you can also count our DEs for 20+ sacks.

you guys think poz shows promise? put the c and g on stroud and with mccargo or tripps rushing up the field poz will have clean shots at full speed into the ball carrier.

IF HEALTHY stroud is that over the top physical guy that can make our whole D shine.

Yep. Stroud is definitely not fat. If he can stay healthy for us, our D is dramatically turned around!!!

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img6561588.jpg

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Yep. Stroud is definitely not fat. If he can stay healthy for us, our D is dramatically turned around!!!

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img6561588.jpg

if ..................

mysticsoto
02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
if ..................

Well the one positive thing on our side is that we rotate the Dlinemen, so he will get rests and not have to put pressure on his ankle throughout the whole game. That should be an incentive for him to want to come here and play in this system.

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 09:50 AM
and if we waste draft pics on players, we buy maybe one year and lose 5.

Our roster is nowhere near good enough to expect overnight success.

The greatest roster builders we've known have predominantly used the draft. We'd rather use the Broncos and Redskins approach

Its just like reappointing Tom Donahoe.

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
And we've not heard the Jaguars side either .... no smoke without fire

Night Train
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Point taken about the suspension.

What about the micro fracture surgery on his ankle and the 2nd injury on the same ankle ? He needs to pass a physical before assuming some 17 mil in salary over the next 3 years.

I'll leave it up to the Bills Doctors.

patmoran2006
02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Starks is better?
LOL