PDA

View Full Version : Best Mock Draft yet IMO

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Complements to DraftBoy

IMO, he's produced the best Mock Draft yet, and if it turned out like this I would cheer the roof off

R1 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB. 6ft1, 184lbs, 4.28 for the 40
Ok not at the top of the list of needs, but an elite CB never hurts even in the Cover2 defence. Even the Colts have used R1 picks for this position. A toss up between the best CB but DRC is both the tallest and the fastest, which cannot hurt when you have a small secondary in a league of increasingly taller WRs

R2 Erin Henderson LB. 6ft2, 244lbs, 4.73
The LB upgrade. Had a very good season plus performed well at the combine

R3a Dre Moore DT. 6ft4, 305lbs, 4.88 (that's correct)
One of the reasons our R2 did so well. Also displayed considerable strength at the combine and literally hammered West Virginia during the season. Ask Owen Schmitt how good he is? He's a 1-Tackle so could easily pair up with McCargo and start from Day1.

R3b Martellus Bennett TE. 259lbs, 4.69
Not a combine workout warrior, but more than competent and one of the best sized TEs, almost as big as Cottram

Now if we are lucky enough to pick up Adarius Bowman WR who after the Combine is likely to have fallen to the fourth but will be a steal and a potential Day1 starter, I think this draft, if it were to pan out would be the best since 2001 when we got Clements, Schobel, Henry, Edwards, Jennings and Spoon in the first 4 rounds.

In fact, I would say it would be better with 5 starters. I don't think our offense is as bad as people think. We have a good OL, a very good backfield and all we really have missed out on is height in the receivers. Adding a 6ft6 TE and a 6ft3, 223lbs WR, who usually has good hands, with a productive record and a tough blocker downfield will do wonders for the offence, and upgrading all three Defensive units, means they'll have more time on the field to develop their skills.

Night Train
02-29-2008, 04:59 AM
I'd fell pretty good after a draft like that.

Sign a WR and some other depth in FA and you have a solid off-season, heading into camp.

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Totally agree NT, though to be frank, I think Bowman could be the surprise of the draft.

He was considered a possible R1 at the end of the college season and if he's mad at being taken so low and this can be used as a source of motivation, then we have a steal.

I'm in favour of offering rookies who slide during the senior bowl and combine days, an incentive laden contract where they can make up for the financial losses through additional bonuses.

Lone Stranger
02-29-2008, 05:49 AM
This would be exceptional if it turns out this way.

Jan Reimers
02-29-2008, 06:31 AM
That would be one great draft if, as NT points out, we were to get a quality WR in FA.

jdbillsfan
02-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I'd be surprised if both 3rd rounders last that long.

Would be a good draft though.

DraftBoy
02-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the credit, I too hope our draft goes this way (obviously) and Im no better at talking the draft than anybody else here and I cant do this stuff without all the posters here reading it, commenting and giving me feedback.

gr8slayer
02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I still feel like it doesn't do enough to address our issues on offense. I'm going into it assuming that we don't get anyone worth talking about in FA.

venis2k1
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I still feel DRC is the 4th best CB in the draft. His best attribute is his top end speed, something that works alot better for man coverage instead of zone.

DraftBoy
02-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Just to note;

Here is another one......

"In 39 starts for the Tigers, opposing quarterbacks completed just 55 of 161 passes (34.16%) thrown in Rodgers-Cromartie's immediate area. He intercepted 11 of those throws, deflected 25 and held the opposition to a miniscule 3.54 yards per pass attempt, the best of any collegiate defensive back over the last three seasons."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306

Defensive TDs that he scored his freshman year = 3
TDs given up all four years as a CB = 3
INCREDIBLE

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't actually think the offence is that bad.

A year in the system will have improved Trent.

The backfield is excellent merely requiring a good FB.

The offensive line is very good - pass protection and opening running lanes is well above average.

We have an excellent No1 receiver.

What the team requires is a good TE and a good No2 WR. Due to the lack of talent in Free Agency here, we can still look at the draft.

If we can get Adarius Bowman, he will be at least as good as Bryant Johnson and Ernest Wilford.

And with better calling from the OC and more effective utilisation of the TE, then overall our offence will step up.

We need to have a stellar Defense to ensure they get lots of opportunities and Moore at NT, Henderson at WLB and DRC will ensure this.

venis2k1
02-29-2008, 10:32 AM
He Played in the Ohio Valley Confrence. He hardly saw the nations best talent on a weekly basis. There is a big big change in talent between playing Samford (Not Stanford.) U and the New England Patriots.

DraftBoy
02-29-2008, 10:35 AM
He Played in the Ohio Valley Confrence. He hardly saw the nations best talent on a weekly basis. There is a big big change in talent between playing Samford (Not Stanford.) U and the New England Patriots.

Look either a kid can play or he can't he wasnt just one of the top DI-AA players in the country he dominated that level. He is an amazing athlete and was a force at the Senior Bowl all week against the best of the best.

ParanoidAndroid
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm not sold on Moore. He's been inconsistent on the field and takes plays off. Laws looks like the better prospect IMO. DRC would be good, but I'd still rather not go CB in the first. I really hope we take a shot with Kelly. I don't know much about Henderson but I'm seeing some high opinions of him.

justasportsfan
02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
The offensive line is very good - pass protection and opening running lanes is well above average.

pass protection may be deceiving because Trent gets rid of the ball fast. When either he or JP had to go deep the pass protection was below average. As for openning up running lanes, they blow.

kernowboy
02-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not sold on Moore. He's been inconsistent on the field and takes plays off. Laws looks like the better prospect IMO. DRC would be good, but I'd still rather not go CB in the first. I really hope we take a shot with Kelly. I don't know much about Henderson but I'm seeing some high opinions of him.

Sounds like Marcus Stroud then

PECKERWOOD
02-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Man, I really, really, really dislike the idea of drafting a CB with our 1st pick. If we absolutely HAD to I'd go with Flowers.

DraftBoy
02-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Man, I really, really, really dislike the idea of drafting a CB with our 1st pick. If we absolutely HAD to I'd go with Flowers.

Flowers is a 2nd-3rd Round pick as of now