PDA

View Full Version : Clements and Winfield

TypicalBill
04-10-2003, 07:45 AM
By: Becky Weber

Essentially the NFL teams of today are built largely through the NFL draft. With the 2003 draft lingering right around the corner the Bills will again be presented with the opportunity to select the top athletes college football has to offer and incorporate them into their scheme.

With that being said and the future of the Bills at hand, perhaps it's reassuring to look back at two number one picks (from 1999 and 2000) and examine the roles they have as members of Buffalo's roster.

The foundation of the Bills secondary is built around cornerbacks Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements. The two former Ohio State Buckeyes are the building blocks in a young defensive backfield.

Clements and Winfield play together like a well-oiled machine, reacting off of each other without skipping a beat. Winfield, who was a senior when Clements came into Ohio State, credits their fluidity with the Buffalo Bills to their time together in college.

"We know each other's strengths and weaknesses and how each other reacts, which helps," said Winfield. "We had that familiarity with each other before so when Nate got here last year we picked up right where we left off. We didn't have to learn to react to each other."
The Full Article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=152705)

now how about extending Winfields contract TD :up:

I think the only reason we didn't extend his contract is because Detroit overpaid for Bly....

Thoughts?

NC-BILLS44
04-10-2003, 07:55 AM
I think we should extend Winfield, but during the season. There is no need to extend his contract now. They must also make sure he wants to be here. I remember an article in Shout, last summer, where Winfield suggested that he may not be in Buffalo and hinted about going to Houston.

I still hope he stays and they extend his contract. He is probably the best tackler on the team. I also can't remember anyone ever burning him for a TD either.

Gunzlingr
04-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Extend him! I like the combination of he and Clements.

mybills
04-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah, Moulds & Price were a great combo too, so I'll prolly get let down again. Sorry, I'm really not a negative person, I just have bad luck like that! lol.

DraftBoy
04-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Extend it now!!!

Valerie
04-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by NC-BILLS44 ....I also can't remember anyone ever burning him for a TD either.
Like all the TDs that slipped by poor Jason Sehorn.

I hope Antoine stays too. I really like him and I think he's a great player!!!

Valerie
04-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by mybills Yeah, Moulds & Price were a great combo too, so I'll prolly get let down again. Sorry, I'm really not a negative person, I just have bad luck like that! lol.
I thought they were a good combination too, MyBills. I was upset when Price left. I thought he was turning out to be a really good player. I'm used to disappointment too, but hopefully Antione will stay and we won't be disappointed this time.:pray:

Mr. Miyagi
04-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7

I thought they were a good combination too, MyBills. I was upset when Price left. I thought he was turning out to be a really good player. I'm used to disappointment too, but hopefully Antione will stay and we won't be disappointed this time.:pray:
The difference between Price and Winfield is that Price WANTS to be the #1 go-to WR, and Winfield ALREADY IS the premier lock-down CB on the team. There isn't much dispute there.

It will all comes down to the $$$. TD definitely can't be cheap with Winfield.

BillsNYC
04-10-2003, 12:05 PM
EXTEND HIM!!!!!!!!!!