PDA

View Full Version : Time to limit individual salaries?

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Forgive any errors here as I live on the other side of the pond.

Having seen some of the deals occuring in this free agency and last, I believe it is time to limit the amount individual players get paid as a proportion of the cap.

I think in the NBA, that there is a team cap but also a maximum amount an individual player can be paid on a contract.

Unless this occurs in the NFL, parasites like Rosenhaus will contribute to the destruction of the game, with the creation of unbalanced rosters by overpaying in certain positions meaning teams lack quality across the board, and the same old teams, who have not committed fiscal suicide reaching the championship game each season.

Previously underpaid, the amount going to OG now is mindboggling and the Bills are just as guilty as other teams. Dockey is a good player but worth $49m over 7 years? I'm sorry but this needs to be restricted. Its not being cheap - its called not killing the game. If a team drafts someone and develops them into a pro player, they shouldn't lose them due to demands which are unjustified to a team foolish enough to meet these demands.

Worse is that mediocre players including Kelsay are getting more and more, season on season and most disturbing is the ridiculous amounts going on injured players like Tommy Kelly. Irrespective of the toughest medical, the only meaningful test will be on the field of combat and with $18m guaranteed on a $50m contract, if he breaks down after 6 games, then the Raiders have a big problem with dead money on the cap. There should also be a maximum limit on the proportion of guaranteed money in a contract. This will stop the 'I want more than he got' mentality.

Cancers like Rosenhaus continue to use previous salary precedents for their outrageous demands. Jenkins + Rogers + Williams deserve money as they have been fit for a full season and performed to a high level on the pitch. To demand the same money for Marcus Stroud who has not played for half a season and has been injured the previous year as well as ridiculous.

We are all looking to slag off the Bills Front Office, but how can we expect teams to continue to overpay for injured players, demanding ridiculous amounts up front who have no guarantee they'll ever return to being 100% irrespective of a medical.

As individuals cannot control their greed, then the NFL may need to intervene. I think that no player should be paid more than a certain percentage of a team's cap, creating a maximum ceiling on a players demands and neutralising the power of agents. Teams can then decide if the money is better spent on a fit Evans or a potentially fit Stroud. This will create better balance in the league.

This can also be applied to the draft. It is appalling when teams want to trade down, not because they don't want a top5 pick but because the demands of draftees wanting more than the equivalent position last year is a joke. There should be a maximum amount that can be paid to a rookie on their rookie contract.

This will assist the smaller-town teams and will create better balance in the league whilst putting a break on the demands of agents/players.

And on a personal note, whilst I'd come round to the idea of trading for Stroud based on his existing contract, his ludicrous demands whilst having not proven he is fully fit in the gladatorial arena of the Ralph Wilson (medicals can only show so much) means I give kudos to the Front Office, for having the balls to say NO and walk away.

Thoughts and opinions, or just flame away.

YardRat
03-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Good luck getting that by Upshaw and the NFLPA. If the owners do indeed scrap the current CBA and take a hard line during the negotiations maybe it will be an important issue for the owners, but with the threat of a lock out and an uncapped year on the horizon the advantage is with the players at the table.

I don't see it happening without the owners having to give up even more of their gross revenue dedicated to players salaries as a whole.

Novacane
03-01-2008, 07:37 AM
The NBA is not a good example. Yeah they have a individual limit but what is it?? 18 mill + I think. Plus there are exemptions I think.

The NFL system is much better than the other leagues. At least they don't have guaranteed contracts where losers like Jason Giambi collect 100 + million bucks. I don't have a problem with the NFL salaries when compared to the other leagues.