PDA

View Full Version : Progress report

YardRat
03-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Conventional wisdom has had the Bills needing upgrades at the following positions when FA commenced...DT, WR, TE, LB, CB, #2 QB, C, and maybe RG and FB. So, after the initial 24 hours of free agency the team has, in effect...

DT-Missed out on three guys, definitely, and most likely won't acquire Stroud. Signed a back-up (maybe). Also cut Tripplett. Net difference = loss.

WR-Missed out on Porter and Wilford, Hackett is still out there along with sketchy rumors that the team may have talked to Johnson's agent. Push.

TE-Troup may visit...Then again, he may sign with Tampa without even setting foot in Buffalo. Push.

LB-Mitchell was a good signing and a definite upgrade to the line-up. Plus.

CB-No rumours, no visits...nothing. Cut Thomas. Loss.

#2 QB-Nobody on the radar, apparently, and JP most likely out the door. Loss.

C-Again...Nobody on the radar, but at least we haven't cut Fowler yet. Push.

RG-Nary a mention, and probably the least likely position to be expected to be addressed via FA, so not really a big deal IMO.

FB-The kid from Atlanta, who I believe is a RFA, is coming in Monday for a visit. Maybe an 'E' for 'effort'.

Nice. The team is in worse shape than it was two days ago and the opportunities to upgrade any of the above are swiftly dwindling as the clock ticks on.

Can't wait for the draft.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Good analysis.

DT - maybe an upgrade over Tripplett if Johnson comes in. Possibility of Robertson if he is cut. Fortunately a deep DT class, meaning we could grab a couple in Rounds 2-4.

WR - again no-one coming in, but a poor Free Agent class, and a deep draft class ... I'd certainly want to look at Hackett considering his positive comments about Buffalo.

TE - a focus for the draft with two Round 3 selections and a lot of early Day2 prospects. Again Free Agency is 'light' here.

CB - with McGee, Youboty and Greer in the house, and the ridiculous free agent contracts might this be a focus for Round 1. Not a lot of quality that could be called an upgrade in FA

QB - only if JP is moved does this become an issue. There are still guys around.

C/RG - with the ridiculous demands in FA this year the onus is to draft your own and develop. I see a couple of picks on Day2, and hopefully we'll find a Dan Koppen/Tom Nalen for the middle

FB - really surprised to see we are talking to just McIntyre. Both Kreider and Keasey are worth a chat especially as McIntyre can be matched.

At this stage I have no concerns based on the following:

1) This free agency class is narrow and shallow in terms of quality with mediocre players demanding large amounts based on hope rather than production. More trades have occured than usual, reinforcing this impression.

2) The draft class is broad and deep across the board. There will be rookies on from Day1 will be the equal or better to some of the Free Agents commanding high salaries. Lets not have their development impeded by signing average Free Agents to start

Historian
03-01-2008, 06:58 AM
It's still only the first day, Rat.

mayotm
03-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Isn't it a bit premature to be publishing an off-season progress report? I'd be pretty annoyed if I was on a six month project at my job and my manager decided to judge my work after one day on the project.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Isn't it a bit premature to be publishing an off-season progress report? I'd be pretty annoyed if I was on a six month project at my job and my manager decided to judge my work after one day on the project.

Except with this project a large amount of work is achieved on Day1

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Good Analysis Rat

Michael82
03-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Now I'm depressed. :sigh:

Lone Stranger
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Rather unfortunately YARDRAT is on target. The Bills moves or lack therof baffle me. No one would contest the fact that Triplett is not a Pro-bowler but THE GUY STARTED EVERY GAME LAST YEAR. How bad could he be. And get nothing in return.

I believe that those prognosticators who felt that the Bills' front office was very weak, are now justified in their comments.

raphael120
03-01-2008, 08:49 AM
LOL

I think I'll judge the record of the Bills the past 10 season which says, yeah, this isn't going to get any better.

Historian
03-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I believe that those prognosticators who felt that the Bills' front office was very weak, are now justified in their comments.

Thank You!

justasportsfan
03-01-2008, 09:16 AM
MY biggest worry about losing Marv was probably losing the ability to convince players to come play for the bills. TD was good at it and Marv commanded respect just because he was Marv.

yordad
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Procrastinators unite.... tomorrow!!

YardRat
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM

I didn't expect a boatload of signings, but I sure as hell was looking forward to more than one definite, one maybe, one possibly depending on the contract numbers and two or three rumored visits.

Our name should be all over the place, at least, of guys coming in for a look-see at several positions, not just a couple.

YardRat
03-01-2008, 02:34 PM

That's why it's a progress report and not a final grade. Try and keep up.

ImpendingDoom
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
That's why it's a progress report and not a final grade. Try and keep up.

Would you rather have the bills overspend and give top dollar to lower lever FA

YardRat
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Would you rather have the bills overspend and give top dollar to lower lever FA

No (even though we all know they will at some point) but I expect more activity.

DrGraves
03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
everyone should start watching some malcolm kelly or limas sweed highlight reels and start getting excited!

colin
03-01-2008, 04:51 PM
you guys are sticks in the mud.

when the bill go down 7 nothing i bet you guys cry into your beer and frown like an 8 year old who can't have any candy

:<

justasportsfan
03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
everyone should start watching some malcolm kelly or limas sweed highlight reels and start getting excited!
I'll take Kelly.

Night Train
03-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I always hire people and grade them out after 24 hours.

colin
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I always hire people and grade them out after 24 hours.
why do you take so long?

you can save time giving the initial and then exit interviews back to back

YardRat
03-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Obviously all of you are looking forward to my '48 hour Progress Report' that I'll post tomorrow AM.

Historian
03-02-2008, 06:40 AM

Now don't you feel silly, Rat?

:D

Captain gameboy
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
I know how I feel.

I'm getting that '88 feeling again.

The "core" is closer to being here.

If we upgrade Greer at CB. (I like him but we need someone 6' or taller).
If we get a TE who anyone ever notices.
If Ko comes back healthy and is pretty good after all.
If we get a pass rush from our multimillionaire ends.

If we stay relatively healthy, and most important, if Bill Walsh was right about Trent...........I am really liking this group.

YardRat
03-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Now don't you feel silly, Rat?

:D

No...I feel my first day assessment was quite accurate, actually.

Nice to see that the Stroud and Johnson deals worked out on Day 2, and it's encouraging that we're bringing in players on the other side of the ball for visits.

I'm still not sold on the perceived strategy of focusing on one player at any particular position, though, and would prefer that the FO didn't 'zero in' but rather open themselves up for more options should some of these deals not work out.

I feel, especially in an environment such as FA, that you increase your chances for success if you are working on plans A, B, and C simultaneously instead of taking the approach 'We'll figure out Plan B if and when Plan A fails'.