• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Progress report

Conventional wisdom has had the Bills needing upgrades at the following positions when FA commenced...DT, WR, TE, LB, CB, #2 QB, C, and maybe RG and FB. So, after the initial 24 hours of free agency the team has, in effect...

DT-Missed out on three guys, definitely, and most likely won't acquire Stroud. Signed a back-up (maybe). Also cut Tripplett. Net difference = loss.

WR-Missed out on Porter and Wilford, Hackett is still out there along with sketchy rumors that the team may have talked to Johnson's agent. Push.

TE-Troup may visit...Then again, he may sign with Tampa without even setting foot in Buffalo. Push.

LB-Mitchell was a good signing and a definite upgrade to the line-up. Plus.

CB-No rumours, no visits...nothing. Cut Thomas. Loss.

#2 QB-Nobody on the radar, apparently, and JP most likely out the door. Loss.

C-Again...Nobody on the radar, but at least we haven't cut Fowler yet. Push.

RG-Nary a mention, and probably the least likely position to be expected to be addressed via FA, so not really a big deal IMO.

FB-The kid from Atlanta, who I believe is a RFA, is coming in Monday for a visit. Maybe an 'E' for 'effort'.

Nice. The team is in worse shape than it was two days ago and the opportunities to upgrade any of the above are swiftly dwindling as the clock ticks on.

Can't wait for the draft.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Re: Progress report

Good analysis.

DT - maybe an upgrade over Tripplett if Johnson comes in. Possibility of Robertson if he is cut. Fortunately a deep DT class, meaning we could grab a couple in Rounds 2-4.

WR - again no-one coming in, but a poor Free Agent class, and a deep draft class ... I'd certainly want to look at Hackett considering his positive comments about Buffalo.

TE - a focus for the draft with two Round 3 selections and a lot of early Day2 prospects. Again Free Agency is 'light' here.

CB - with McGee, Youboty and Greer in the house, and the ridiculous free agent contracts might this be a focus for Round 1. Not a lot of quality that could be called an upgrade in FA

QB - only if JP is moved does this become an issue. There are still guys around.

C/RG - with the ridiculous demands in FA this year the onus is to draft your own and develop. I see a couple of picks on Day2, and hopefully we'll find a Dan Koppen/Tom Nalen for the middle

FB - really surprised to see we are talking to just McIntyre. Both Kreider and Keasey are worth a chat especially as McIntyre can be matched.

At this stage I have no concerns based on the following:

1) This free agency class is narrow and shallow in terms of quality with mediocre players demanding large amounts based on hope rather than production. More trades have occured than usual, reinforcing this impression.

2) The draft class is broad and deep across the board. There will be rookies on from Day1 will be the equal or better to some of the Free Agents commanding high salaries. Lets not have their development impeded by signing average Free Agents to start

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

It's still only the first day, Rat.

Comment

• mayotm
        • Jul 2003

Isn't it a bit premature to be publishing an off-season progress report? I'd be pretty annoyed if I was on a six month project at my job and my manager decided to judge my work after one day on the project.

Comment

Originally posted by mayotm
          Isn't it a bit premature to be publishing an off-season progress report? I'd be pretty annoyed if I was on a six month project at my job and my manager decided to judge my work after one day on the project.
          Except with this project a large amount of work is achieved on Day1

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Good Analysis Rat
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Now I'm depressed.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                • Sep 2002

Rather unfortunately YARDRAT is on target. The Bills moves or lack therof baffle me. No one would contest the fact that Triplett is not a Pro-bowler but THE GUY STARTED EVERY GAME LAST YEAR. How bad could he be. And get nothing in return.

I believe that those prognosticators who felt that the Bills' front office was very weak, are now justified in their comments.

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

LOL

I think I'll judge the record of the Bills the past 10 season which says, yeah, this isn't going to get any better.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by fmr60
                    I believe that those prognosticators who felt that the Bills' front office was very weak, are now justified in their comments.
                    Thank You!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

MY biggest worry about losing Marv was probably losing the ability to convince players to come play for the bills. TD was good at it and Marv commanded respect just because he was Marv.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Procrastinators unite.... tomorrow!!
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Historian
                          It's still only the first day, Rat.
                          I didn't expect a boatload of signings, but I sure as hell was looking forward to more than one definite, one maybe, one possibly depending on the contract numbers and two or three rumored visits.

Our name should be all over the place, at least, of guys coming in for a look-see at several positions, not just a couple.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mayotm
                            That's why it's a progress report and not a final grade. Try and keep up.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• ImpendingDoom
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by YardRat
                              That's why it's a progress report and not a final grade. Try and keep up.
                              Would you rather have the bills overspend and give top dollar to lower lever FA

Comment

Working...
                              X