PDA

View Full Version : D. Roberton DT Jets.....

alohabillsfan
03-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Offer a 4th to the jets in exchange for D. Robertson contingent on a restructured contract. He counts 11.2 million against the jets cap and they just traded 2 picks to get Jenkins. Robertson does not fit Manginis 3-4 scheme.

Or wait until he is cut.

Height: 6-1
Weight: 317 lbs
26 years old
Only missed 3 games in five years

mayotm
03-01-2008, 06:46 AM
He's likely to get cut, so probably no need to give up a draft pick. Plus, doubtful the Jets would trade him within the division.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Wait until he gets cut and start again.

While he is ok, his production has been nothing to write home about and no better than Barry Cofield who started 16 games having been drafted in Round 4 of the 2006 draft.

Michael82
03-01-2008, 08:16 AM
If you wait until he's cut, he'll be a Bungle immediately. Then we would have nobody. :ill:

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Wait for him to get cut and then immediately get him in here.

TacklingDummy
03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
DT wouldn't be a problem for the Bills right now if Marv didn't screw up and draft Whitner. The right choice was Ngata.

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 08:22 AM
he is not a fit, or he just isnt even remotely close to being a good player and never should have been drafted at 3 or 4th overall pick where he was taken?

i dont know that i have heard a single jet fan that is even remotely concerned about losing this guy. i have no interest. we are just grasping at straws now because the bills screwed themselves.

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
he is not a fit, or he just isnt even remotely close to being a good player and never should have been drafted at 3 or 4th overall pick where he was taken?

i dont know that i have heard a single jet fan that is even remotely concerned about losing this guy. i have no interest. we are just grasping at straws now because the bills screwed themselves.

I dont think he was a good fit for a 3-4 alignment he is somewhat light for a NT, just barely over 315. The guy has skills without a question so I see no reason as to why we cant give him a shot to really stick it to his old team.

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 08:27 AM
again.. we would be paying a ton of money to a kid who has never played good in the nfl and is considered a bust by many. his current team really doesnt care if he walks and replaced him with a guy on the wrong side of 30 with an injury past, who also didnt play NT with his former team.

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
i would just assume we burn more draft picks on more dts in the draft, so we can watch them sit around for 2 years like mccargo.

TacklingDummy
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
again.. we would be paying a ton of money to a kid who has never played good in the nfl and is considered a bust by many. his current team really doesnt care if he walks and replaced him with a guy on the wrong side of 30 with an injury past, who also didnt play NT with his former team.

Langston Walker sucked for the Raiders. I thought he did well last year for the Bills.

Patti120
03-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Get er done MARV!!!

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Langston Walker sucked for the Raiders. I thought he did well last year for the Bills.

that is an excellent point, but we cant keep filling the most important positions on this team with guys that sucked with their prior team. langston walker was a risk that worked out great i think.. but i can point out a lot more than one guy who sucked with another team and then came here and blew chunks too.. i would prefer that we dont do that with a position that could very well have a huge part in how well the bills do in the upcoming years before they move to toronto.

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 08:34 AM

You have no idea how much we'd be paying him if we wait till he's cut. Im very confident that it would be at a reduced rate given his lack of production. And you know as well as I do that sometimes especially with young kids it takes a change in scenery to make an impact. Could he be a bust? Yes, but I see no reason to not at least give the kid a shot because we know how much talent he could have. Hell we gave Manny Wright a shot after he cried on a practice field.

TacklingDummy
03-01-2008, 08:34 AM
i would prefer that we dont do that with a position that could very well have a huge part in how well the bills do in the upcoming years before they move to toronto.

The sad thing is the Bills haven't had a good DT since Pat Williams left. And stopping the run has been a problem since then.

Maybe they will do something on draft day and draft Dorsey or Ellis.

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
that is an excellent point, but we cant keep filling the most important positions on this team with guys that sucked with their prior team. langston walker was a risk that worked out great i think.. but i can point out a lot more than one guy who sucked with another team and then came here and blew chunks too.. i would prefer that we dont do that with a position that could very well have a huge part in how well the bills do in the upcoming years before they move to toronto.

You make a great counter but if we sign this Spencer Johnson kid who played well with MIN as a starter and we still draft a guy like Moore, Laws, Pressley then we have adequate cover.

Michael82
03-01-2008, 08:36 AM

actually, he's a very good fit for a 4-3 and cover 2 defense. The Jets don't want him because they are trying to do that 3-4 and he's not a true nose tackle. But he would be solid in our defense alignment.

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 08:50 AM
DB, i hear what your saying, but obviously it is frustrating as hell to watch FOUR proven DTs that all would have been huge upgrades get traded for next to nothing.. even corey williams for a 2nd rounder.. that is nothing for an elite DT. we have got to fill this spot with a dominant player or our defense is not going to look different than it did last year.. people will run on us.. the ends will get no pressure because they can rotate protection out to them. the LBs will get exposed and so will the secondary. I am just beyond waiting and hoping that some back up for someone else or some 4th round project that is 290 lbs is going to work out and be a big time star for us... especially when their are big time stud DTs available.

and mikey, to your point.. how do you know he is a good fit in a 4-3? the jets were a 4-3 earlier in DW career right? he has never done anything in a 4-3 in the nfl. nor the cover 2.

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
DB, i hear what your saying, but obviously it is frustrating as hell to watch FOUR proven DTs that all would have been huge upgrades get traded for next to nothing.. even corey williams for a 2nd rounder.. that is nothing for an elite DT. we have got to fill this spot with a dominant player or our defense is not going to look different than it did last year.. people will run on us.. the ends will get no pressure because they can rotate protection out to them. the LBs will get exposed and so will the secondary. I am just beyond waiting and hoping that some back up for someone else or some 4th round project that is 290 lbs is going to work out and be a big time star for us... especially when their are big time stud DTs available.

and mikey, to your point.. how do you know he is a good fit in a 4-3? the jets were a 4-3 earlier in DW career right? he has never done anything in a 4-3 in the nfl. nor the cover 2.

I hear ya T but the fact is that the Bills targeted Stroud and missed on him apparently. They should of known before brining him in that he'd want a new deal. We have to move on now and the only way I know how to do that is to see who else is out there avail and keep thinking and analyzing them. Will Robertson work? Hell if I know, but I know Im gonna be pissed if we at least dont take a shot. The incompetence of this team at this moment is beyond ridiculous. How the Browns trade for Williams and Rodgers and we only target Stroud is beyond me. But its time to move forward and keep praying this three headed monster works itself out.

Tatonka
03-01-2008, 09:12 AM
i guess i just dont even have the confidence that they will go after robinson, so i am trying not to look at the positive here..

i, like most fans, am just incredibly disappointed right now because at one point yesterday it looked like buffalo could end up with a first day that included mitchell, troupe, stroud, and rogers.

now it is starting to look like mitchell is our big star player signing and the back up from the vikings (still have not seen it on bb.com) is our 2nd best DT.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I think we miss a significant point about McCargo

Yes he was a reach but it was a weak DT draft, of whom only Ngata has really performed. Buckley has not done nothing. There wasn't a DT in R2 and only Wroten and Dvoracek in R3

The 2006 class was poor, the 2008 class is DEEEEPPPP !!!

Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey
Kentwan Balmer
Pat Sims
Dre Moore
Trevor Laws
Red Bryant
Marcus Harrison
DeMario Pressley
Antyba Rubin
Frank Okam
Nick Hayden

All of these guys could start but such is the depth of the draft, some of these guys who all have starting potential could be there in Round 4.

Ask Barry Cofield. The Giants had DT trouble in 2006 so had to start a R4 guy. He rewarded them with a 44 tackle, 1.5 sack rookie season.

Sometimes kids mature and learn more quickly when learning on the job, not being buried on the depth chart.

Draft a guy in R2 and one in R4 and let them duke it out with Kyle Williams. We upgrade either way and maybe more so that giving a large contract to a vet who has lost his hunger.

DraftBoy
03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
i guess i just dont even have the confidence that they will go after robinson, so i am trying not to look at the positive here..

i, like most fans, am just incredibly disappointed right now because at one point yesterday it looked like buffalo could end up with a first day that included mitchell, troupe, stroud, and rogers.

now it is starting to look like mitchell is our big star player signing and the back up from the vikings (still have not seen it on bb.com) is our 2nd best DT.

Im saving my venom for the draft, so Ill give them the benfit of the doubt till they mess that up.