PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
What the hell happened in the second half of yesterday? Everything seemed so promising. We looked like we were going to be extremely aggressive.

I go out to a club last night, the last time I check in we cut Larry Tripplett. Obviously that excited me as I thought it was paving the way for STroud.

I come home last night, too crocked to check any signings, and wake up this morning excited to see what happened.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!????!??

Let me get this straight, we signed Mitchell (I like it) and then we CUT Tripplet and DONT end up with Stroud? WHY DID WE CUT TRIPPLETT? To get Wilson back the money he spent on MITCHELL??? By no means am I a Tripplett fan, but why cut him AFTER free agency starts unless y ou have someone clearly BETTER to take his place?

How did we not close a deal for STroud, isn't this organization smart enough to know BEFOREHAND STroud may want a new deal? Did our FO assume it was done and cut Tripplett?

Meanwhile, I see that Wilford signed with Miami for only 4 yrs and around 13 mill? His size isn't worth that to us?

Faneca signed with the Jets? Miami made a big amount of changes. Cleveland got ****ing Corey Williams AND Shaun ROgers???

Listen, I know its only been one day of free agency, I certainly know how to count. But this is NOT the start I think any of us were looking for.

I dont see a single DT left on the market other than Stroud that is worth a damn... is the plan to reach for a DT at #11 after Dorsey and Ellis are already gone?

WR worries me too now. We obviously aren't going to pay for Moss or Berrian, doubtful for Walker as well. It's down to Hackett or Johnson I guess.

I dunno.. I am totally baffled today about this Tripplett move. It's the kind of move that makes me despise this front office.

EVEn in a year we dont have a lot of our own FA's, its going to be that scummy "sign one, cut one in return" philosophy? WTF

raphael120
03-01-2008, 09:31 AM
I'll said it once and I'll say it again....

Are we really ****ing surprised?

don137
03-01-2008, 09:36 AM
After seeing the money that Williams and Jenkins got yesterday I think Rosenhaus pulled the rug underneath the Bills and changed the ante for Stroud's services. Stroud was seeking a trade but now is seeking a trade and extension.

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 09:37 AM
If they cut Tripplett last week or even 3 days ago I have no problem with it.

But they cut him, "coincidentally" after giving Mitchell a contract. Why cut him AFTER free agency already started, unless they already have an upgrade.

So it looks like our run defense will get more stout with McCargo/K. Williams/ Jefferson and a project draft pick. Unbelievable this organization if they don get this Stroud deal done.

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 09:38 AM
After seeing the money that Williams and Jenkins got yesterday I think Rosenhaus pulled the rug underneath the Bills and changed the ante for Stroud's services. Stroud was seeking a trade but now is seeking a trade and extension.
I dont put it past that scumbag Drew, no doubt. My question is wouldn't you agree that you don't cut Tripplett until you land Stroud or someone better?

I think our FO got played to be honest.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't think there is any need to panic.

Everyone holds up the example of how long McCargo has taken to develop but we must realise that 2006 was an awful year for DTs.

After Ngata, the best guy has been Barry Cofield taken in R4. Only 5 DTs were taken in the first 3 rounds.

This year, after Ellis and Dorsey, there are about about 10 more guys who could start on Day1 and we can put them into bands like -Balmer (308lbs), Sims (310), Moore (305), Laws (304), Bryant (318) - then - Harrison (317), Pressley (300), Rubin (315), Okam (347), Hayden 291). Ironically the two lightest and maybe slowest guys are at the top of the list - Ellis and Dorsey. And we could easily draft two in the first 4 rounds.

The interesting things about Cofield is that he had a really decent rookie season BECAUSE he had to start immediately rather than get buried on the depth chart.

Exactly how much does a rookie learn in practice compared to their learning curve on the field? We could quite easily pick up a 1-tackle to play with McCargo and a 3-tackle to play with Williams and have a much better and bigger line than last year.

Ask the Giants how long it took Cofield to develop? With Robbins they provided a 89tackle, 7sacks season despite the awful problems they had at DE that year

TacklingDummy
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Tripplett sucked no matter when he was cut.

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I just read we're interested in Jason Webster.

THAT Jason Webster?

Really?

raphael120
03-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Everyone holds up the example of how look McCargo has taken to develop but we must realise that 2006 was an awful year for DTs.

After Ngata, the best guy has been Barry Cofield taken in R4. Only 5 DTs were taken in the first 3 rounds.

This year, after Ellis and Dorsey, there are about about 10 more guys who could start on Day1 and we can put them into bands like -Balmer (308lbs), Sims (310), Moore (305), Laws (304), Bryant (318) - then - Harrison (317), Pressley (300), Rubin (315), Okam (347), Hayden 291). Ironically the two lightest and maybe slowest guys are at the top of the list - Ellis and Dorsey. And we could easily draft two in the first 4 rounds.

The interesting things about Cofield is that he had a really decent rookie season BECAUSE he had to start immediately rather than get buried on the depth chart.

Exactly how much does a rookie learn in practice compared to their learning curve on the field? We could quite easily pick up a 1-tackle to play with McCargo and a 3-tackle to play with Williams and have a much better and bigger line than last year.

Ask the Giants how long it took Cofield to develop? With Robbins they provided a 89tackle, 7sacks season despite the awful problems they had at DE that year

Just like how McCargo came in and was an impact. Riiight...

Not a single DT from last years rookie class dominated or made a big impact. Just doesn't happen.

Nighthawk
03-01-2008, 09:49 AM
The problem is not getting Stroud, but the fact that they let other DT's that could fit in our defense and help against the run sign elsewhere without even talking to them! That is what pisses me off so much. They left themselves with no viable alternatives and this team will again be soft against the run. Ralphy is one cheap son of a bi*ch! Also, what about that BIG WR were going to get to help the offense? We were so caught up in a guy that we might have let slip away and now our hands are tied regarding this position also. Like I've said, it's not just about blowing the Stroud trade, but it's the fact that it had a major effect on the rest of FA for this organization. Stupid..stupid...stupid.

Nighthawk
03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
I just read we're interested in Jason Webster.

THAT Jason Webster?

Really?

Of course we are! He's cheap and he sucks, so he'll fit right in here!

Scumbag College
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
The Tripplett cut is becoming more and more ponderous as time goes by. Jenkins, Rogers, and Williams all found new homes and Pat is right, there aren't any really good DTs out there after Stroud.

I don't want to believe that the Bills cut Tripplett before a Stroud deal was 100% done. I also don't want to believe that they cut Tripplett to save a million dollars after signing Mitchell earlier in the day. I also don't want to believe that the front office feels that Spencer Johnson is head and shoulders above Tripplett. But, I've been let down before by this front office.

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Just like how McCargo came in and was an impact. Riiight...

Not a single DT from last years rookie class dominated or made a big impact. Just doesn't happen.

Sorry - meant 'how long' - but McCargo is now a probable starter

Cofield made a decent impact in his rookie year.

You can't compare draft years like that but last year

Okoye started with 32 tackles and 5,5 sacks
Carriker changed position and had 30 tackles and 2 sacks

both better than Tripplett, but 2007 was even worse than 2006. Thats why a number of us wanted Ngata in 2006.

This year, the class could be as good and should be compared to the draft of 2001 - that draft produced in the first 2 rounds

Richard Seymour
Damione Lewis
Marcus Stroud
Casey Hampton
Ryan Pickett
Kris Jenkins
Shaun Rogers

With so many teams taking FA defensive tackles it is likely there will be decent quality in R2 and R3

don137
03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I dont put it past that scumbag Drew, no doubt. My question is wouldn't you agree that you don't cut Tripplett until you land Stroud or someone better?

I think our FO got played to be honest.

I agree about the timing of the Tripplett cut. If you golf you don't throw away your old putter because it sucks until you get a new one. The same applys for Tripplett. You don't cut him until you have a replacement.

Bmax
03-01-2008, 10:13 AM

Everyone holds up the example of how long McCargo has taken to develop but we must realise that 2006 was an awful year for DTs.

Cross Hayden, Okam unless he loses 25 lbs and Harrison of that list... All of the rest i would be happy with...

Balmer
Rubin
Sims

My choices in that order....

Bmax

acehole
03-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Because we wanted to assume his current contract. The other two then got new deals Rodger and the other one. Then Stroud wanted that kind of money as well. ..And Ralph DOESNT WANT TO PAY.

End of story.

So we will find a gem nobody has heard of for $1.47 ....

What the hell happened in the second half of yesterday? Everything seemed so promising. We looked like we were going to be extremely aggressive.

I go out to a club last night, the last time I check in we cut Larry Tripplett. Obviously that excited me as I thought it was paving the way for STroud.

I come home last night, too crocked to check any signings, and wake up this morning excited to see what happened.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!????!??

Let me get this straight, we signed Mitchell (I like it) and then we CUT Tripplet and DONT end up with Stroud? WHY DID WE CUT TRIPPLETT? To get Wilson back the money he spent on MITCHELL??? By no means am I a Tripplett fan, but why cut him AFTER free agency starts unless y ou have someone clearly BETTER to take his place?

How did we not close a deal for STroud, isn't this organization smart enough to know BEFOREHAND STroud may want a new deal? Did our FO assume it was done and cut Tripplett?

Meanwhile, I see that Wilford signed with Miami for only 4 yrs and around 13 mill? His size isn't worth that to us?

Faneca signed with the Jets? Miami made a big amount of changes. Cleveland got ****ing Corey Williams AND Shaun ROgers???

Listen, I know its only been one day of free agency, I certainly know how to count. But this is NOT the start I think any of us were looking for.

I dont see a single DT left on the market other than Stroud that is worth a damn... is the plan to reach for a DT at #11 after Dorsey and Ellis are already gone?

WR worries me too now. We obviously aren't going to pay for Moss or Berrian, doubtful for Walker as well. It's down to Hackett or Johnson I guess.

I dunno.. I am totally baffled today about this Tripplett move. It's the kind of move that makes me despise this front office.

EVEn in a year we dont have a lot of our own FA's, its going to be that scummy "sign one, cut one in return" philosophy? WTF

historypete
03-01-2008, 10:29 AM
What happened????

The team probably figured Stroud didn't fit their "style of Defense" because he can actually help stop the run and plug up the middle. This was completely unacceptable to the coaching staff, and when considering his "outrageous" demand for a new or restructured contract the team decided they would rather go with an undersized guy, who is cheap, and can penetrate the line of scrimmage (get blown off the ball).

Nighthawk
03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
What happened????

The team probably figured Stroud didn't fit their "style of Defense" because he can actually help stop the run and plug up the middle. This was completely unacceptable to the coaching staff, and when considering his "outrageous" demand for a new or restructured contract the team decided they would rather go with an undersized guy, who is cheap, and can penetrate the line of scrimmage (get blown off the ball).

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
What happened????

hahah, sad but true.

Especially the last part. Kyle Williams is the master of "penetrating the line of scrimmage" yet often in goaline situations I see a guard hit him into the 4th row of the end zone seats.

feldspar
03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
I hope you regret starting this thread, Pat Moran.

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I hope you regret starting this thread, Pat Moran.
lol, why? I asked "what happened' I wasnt around last night. Sounded like it was already done.

And if so, I have NEVER EVER had a problem on this board admitting about being wrong about ANYTHING.

feldspar
03-01-2008, 03:09 PM
lol, why? I asked "what happened' I wasnt around last night. Sounded like it was already done.

And if so, I have NEVER EVER had a problem on this board admitting about being wrong about ANYTHING.

Patience is a virtue, my son.