PDA

View Full Version : A mock draft after the Mitchell signing and Stroud non-signing

kernowboy
03-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Having picked up a starting WLB in Kawika Mitchell we are now set at this position.

However, the apparent miss on Marcus Stroud DT, and the lack of any quality players means this becomes a new focus in the draft. I could see this potentially happening, but feel free to flame away

R1. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, CB, 6ft1, 184lbs a 40 of 4.28
With Thomas cut we now have only 3 CBs on the books in Youboty, Greer and McGee, and realistically need to draft one. An immediate starter like DRC would be tough to pass on
R2. Dre Moore, DT, 6ft4, 311lbs, 4.88
A college 1-tackle and ideal compliment to McCargo. Plays the run well and can get into the backfield. Marcus who?
R3a. Martellus Bennett, TE, 6ft6, 259lbs, 4.69
Solid at the combine, but the biggest target after Cottram
R3b. Adarius Bowman, WR, 6ft3, 223lbs, 4.69
Faster on the field and the big presence we need - I do think we'll get a FA here as well though
R4 Nick Hayden, DT, 6ft4, 291lbs, 5.11
Light but very strong, who could add some weight. Bit of an Iron Man
R5a Jeremy Zuttah, OL, 6ft3, 299lbs, 4.99
Can play anywhere across the OL including LT
R5b Kirk Barton, OG, 6ft4, 310lbs, 5.08
Not very athletic but strong and good backup
R6 Ricky Santos, QB, 6ft2, 215lb, 4.80
Local lad with strong collegiate performances
R7a Andrew Studebaker DE/OLB, 6ft3, 245lbs, 4.49
Will fall because of level of competition but worth a pick by this round
R7b Martel Van Zant DB, 6ft1, 210lbs, 4.51
He's deaf but he can play and could be decent depth at both S and CB

Flame away

PECKERWOOD
03-01-2008, 12:10 PM
DRC is a CB not a WR. :D
Moore in the 2nd is a nice pick.
I like Bennett.
3b I'd rather see Ali Highsmith for LB depth.
Instead of Hayden I'd like Bowman or Hawkins there.

Jayhawk
03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
that's not a horrible one!

ParanoidAndroid
03-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I've seen Dre Moore on a lot of mocks, but the question marks about inconsistency, poor instincts, and a hot and cold motor really make me cringe. I'd really like a DE but it's hard to fit if we don't get Stroud.

1. Kelly or Sweed (WR)
2. Pat Sims (DT)
3a. Charles Godfrey (CB)
3b. Jacob Tamme (TE)
4. DeMario Pressley (DT)

If we do get Stroud swap Sims with Calais Campbell

Night Train
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Not bad at all.

I have some reservations about Bowman after watching his Senior Bowl practices. He dropped a lot of balls, which Mike Mayock pointed out is not unusual for him. Instead of plucking the ball with his hands, he kept trying to cradle it into his chest. That reminds me of an old Bills 1st Round bust named Perry Tuttle. There are plenty of good hands guys out there.
I'd take the same size, far more sure handed Jordy Nelson of Kansas St. in his 3rd round slot.

I like Dre Moore a lot but the Bills may want a slightly bigger 2 gapper, like Ahtyba Rubin of Iowa St. But Moore may indeed be strong enough at 305 to play the 1 gap.

Jayhawk
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't want PRessley, he doesn't try hard

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 07:43 AM
I've seen Dre Moore on a lot of mocks, but the question marks about inconsistency, poor instincts, and a hot and cold motor really make me cringe. I'd really like a DE but it's hard to fit if we don't get Stroud.

1. Kelly or Sweed (WR)
2. Pat Sims (DT)
3a. Charles Godfrey (CB)
3b. Jacob Tamme (TE)
4. DeMario Pressley (DT)

If we do get Stroud swap Sims with Calais Campbell

Calais Campbell is as slow as a tortoise ... he ran a 5.03

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Now that Stroud is on board, here is my slight modification

R1. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, CB, 6ft1, 184lbs a 40 of 4.28
With Thomas cut we now have only 3 CBs on the books in Youboty, Greer and McGee, and realistically need to draft one. An immediate starter like DRC would be tough to pass on

R2. Dre Moore, DT, 6ft4, 311lbs, 4.88
A college 1-tackle and ideal compliment to McCargo. Plays the run well and can get into the backfield. He was the much stronger than Sims or Bryant and was at a similar level to the others. He was much faster than DE Calais Campbell as well

R3. Adarius Bowman, WR, 6ft3, 223lbs, 4.69
Faster on the field and the big presence we need - I do think we'll get a FA here as well though. He has admittedly dropped a few but apparently made an incredible catch at the senior bowl which was ruled wrongly. Chris Chambers was apparently a cradle catcher coming out of Wisconsin. Its a skill easily changed - his size isn't

R4 BPA
If we sign Troupe or another tight end, then this becomes less on an urgency. If not John Carlson (6ft4, 255, 4.89) or Kellen Davis (6ft6, 262lbs, 4.58)

but ultimately I would like to go

Titus Brown, DE, 6ft2, 246lbs, 4.68
If he can add 10-15lbs he'll be a strong addition as a 3rd down rusher. He might also allow us to play the occasional 3-4

R5 Fernando Velasco, C/G, 6ft4, 328lbs, 5.06
The biggest of all the C prospects he is nimble enough to play G

R6 Kirk Barton, OG, 6ft4, 310lbs, 5.08
Not very athletic but strong and good backup

R7a Andrew Studebaker DE/OLB, 6ft3, 245lbs, 4.49
Will fall because of level of competition but worth a pick by this round
R7b Martel Van Zant DB, 6ft1, 210lbs, 4.51
He's deaf but he can play and could be decent depth at both S and CB

Flame away<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

patmoran2006
03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Your out of your mind if you think we're taking a DT early after investing heavily in STroud and Johnson, and already having McCargo and even Williams as a 4th DT now. I'll be shocked if we even draft a DT at all; they also tendered Jefferson.

yordad
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Your out of your mind if you think we're taking a DT early after investing heavily in STroud and Johnson, and already having McCargo and even Williams as a 4th DT now. I'll be shocked if we even draft a DT at all; they also tendered Jefferson.I think he is Dre Moore's third cousin.

kernowboy
03-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Your out of your mind if you think we're taking a DT early after investing heavily in STroud and Johnson, and already having McCargo and even Williams as a 4th DT now. I'll be shocked if we even draft a DT at all; they also tendered Jefferson.

Pat, have you checked Stroud's injury record over the last two years? He has missed 12 of 32 games. Or McCargo who has lost 11 of 32 games plus 6 of his last 13 games in college ... all the lower leg injuries on 300Lbs+ guys.

Do we think that if either or both went down in Game 10 while we were sitting on a 8-2 that we would finish better than 8-8? With Williams, Johnson and Jefferson we would.

Just because we tendered Jefferson doesn't mean we need to keep him out of camp. Just because we have Williams as the 4th tackle means we cannot upgrade.

We rotate our tackles constantly in the game. Opposition teams will simply wait until Stroud runs out of steam then take advantage, if we have Williams backing him up. A bigger guy in their backfield will cause pause for though.

And finally Pat and Yordad, a number of fans have been calling for us to draft Calais Campbell with this pick. The same Campbell who turned up at the combine 13lbs overweight and running at 5.03, whilst the bigger Moore turned up at playing weight and ran a 4.88, as well as impressing many at the senior bowl by 'blowing up' EVERY lineman in individual drills and getting to the QB in non-contact elements.

Personally if Stroud/McCargo or Kelsay/Denney get injured I know who I want coming in to the lineup.

Hopefully by the time of the draft we will be selecting BPA. I'd like a character guy who works hard on the field, in the weight room, and in the video room rather than a guy like James Hardy who thinks exercise is beating his girl. Hardy will get suspended long before Moore will.

gr8slayer
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Replace Santos with Brennan and I'm sold!

gr8slayer
03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Calais Campbell is as slow as a tortoise ... he ran a 5.03
And? When was the last time you saw a DL have to run 40 yards at a time?