PDA

View Full Version : Stroud contract details for Bills

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
PFT:

POSTED 4:02 p.m. EST, March 1, 2008
BILLS, JAGS COMPLETE STROUD TRADE by Michael David Smith
Jay Glazer of Fox is reporting that the Buffalo Bills have completed a trade (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7859190/Source:-Jags-trade-Stroud-to-Bill-for-picks) with the Jacksonville Jaguars for defensive tackle Marcus Stroud.
The price the Bills paid to the Jaguars was a pair of draft picks, third- and fifth-rounders. That makes it official that the going rate for defensive tackles in the NFL is third- and fifth-round picks. Earlier this week, the Panthers sent Kris Jenkins to the Jets for third- and fifth-round picks, and the Lions agreed to trade Shaun Rogers to the Bengals for third- and fifth-round picks, although that trade was voided and Rogers was ultimately sent to the Browns for a third-round pick and Leigh Bodden.
The Bills paved the way for acquiring Stroud by cutting defensive tackle Larry Tripplett. An Associated Press story saying Stroud "cut short his visit with the Bills in Buffalo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtazRLJh3nQLZxnYkOnq8yo5nYcB?slug=ap-bills-mitchell&prov=ap&type=lgns) on Friday after the team's interest cooled upon learning Stroud was seeking a significant raise" was incorrect.

In fact, a league source tells PFT that although Stroud re-worked his contract in a way that gives him more of the money he's due on his current deal upfront, no "significant raise" was part of the deal with the Bills. Stroud still has three years left on his deal and is still scheduled to make $16.5 million in those three years.

m1orenz
03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
thats quite a good deal for the bills then, imo

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
One step closer Pat, one step closer......

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 03:13 PM
It's been a while since I've been this happy to be a Bills fan.

Doesnt mean we'll win a single game more.. What I am loving is that this front office just showed a set of huge brass balls and STroud and Mitchell show me they are back to being SERIOUS about winning.

Kal-El
03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Now if only we can keep Stroud off Chippewa Avenue ...

Scumbag College
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
It's been a while since I've been this happy to be a Bills fan.

Doesnt mean we'll win a single game more.. What I am loving is that this front office just showed a set of huge brass balls and STroud and Mitchell show me they are back to being SERIOUS about winning.

With a combination of any type of upgrade at WR, TE, DE, and possibly even CB, we'd have a "successful" offseason in my eyes.

yordad
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Giving him the money upfront allows us to chew up this year significant cap space; space we weren't likely to use. And, frees up future cash money. Sweet.

shelby
03-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Please, for the love of God, post links, people!

This is good news indeed~:jig:

patmoran2006
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Giving him the money upfront allows us to chew up this year significant cap space; space we weren't likely to use. And, frees up future cash money. Sweet.
ABsolutely true.. VERY very good point.

Buffalogic
03-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Can't wait to see the whole contract picture.

Michael82
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
yeah baby!!!! :bf1:

feldspar
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Stroud and Mitchell.

Mitchell and Stroud.

Our defense is automatically upgraded hugely. I like both these guys a lot. Now we have two first rounders at DT on the team, one who is a Probowler and one who made strides last year. Being next to Stroud is going to make McCargo so much better IMO.

And with players coming back from IR...Poz and Ko Simpson, etc., we'll be a completely different and better defense.

Now we need a WR, TE, and CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills draft another DT as well.

shelby
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Here is the link (http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/01/bills-jags-complete-stroud-trade/)

Meathead
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
is it ok if i just continue to panic and overreact

feldspar
03-01-2008, 03:24 PM
is it ok if i just continue to panic and overreact

Somebody's got to do it or else it just won't feel like home.

shelby
:rofl: No doubt~

TacklingDummy
What I am loving is that this front office just showed a set of huge brass balls and STroud and Mitchell show me they are back to being SERIOUS about winning.

To most fans the Bills have been SERIOUS about winning for years. It just hasn't happened. Every franchise goes through low points in their history.

Ebenezer
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
it is a good day indeed.

SquishDaFish
03-01-2008, 04:02 PM
HELL YES BABY!!

Mitchy moo
03-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Bills are now in it to win it!

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Where are the apologies from all the whiners?

Forward_Lateral
03-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Where are the apologies from all the whiners?

:rofl: or the people who said "Stroud sucks" as soon as they thought he wasn't going to be a Bill.

Philagape
03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
The contract change is simply conforming it to a cash to cap structure.

Hey cap guys, what's left? I'm guessing we can do one more signing, not a big one, or that may translate to extensions.

yordad
03-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Hey cap guys, what's left? I'm guessing we can do one more signing, not a big one, or that may translate to extensions.Jeff Faine, and extensions.
Edit: Awe darn, yardrat informed me Faine is gone.

Dr. Lecter
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Faine signed with Tampa.

With Triplett gone, the Bills MIGHT have the money to get Johnson, but not at 5-6 per year (Which he should not get and the Bills should NOT give him)

Al the Bills Fan
03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank God this finally happened! This signing has me excited. Stroud will make McCargo better, we will get more pressure which will translate into more turnovers. Pressure = picks.

Just hope he stays healthy. A healthy Stroud = beast

colin
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
we still have a quick young and game tested D, but we are now a WHOLE lot bigger and stronger in the front 7.

donte, ko, poz, stroud, mccargo.

say what you want, but IMO that is a good strong solid middle of the D.

and watch our pass rush get a whole lot gamer too.

TigerJ
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
is it ok if i just continue to panic and overreactWe have other poster who are better at it than you, or at least much more experienced.

VeggieMan14
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Does anyone else think we got him extremely cheap???

clumping platelets
03-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Hey cap guys, what's left? I'm guessing we can do one more signing, not a big one, or that may translate to extensions.

It was already cash to cap............they actually moved away from casg to cap because it appears to be a simple restructure.........know more later

Cap space left? Plenty.....no need to update after ever single signing

Michael82
03-02-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm betting that there is some kind of incentive in his contract that makes it so he will get a big raise if healthy and if he produces.

njsue
03-02-2008, 02:41 AM
He is worth it.

This is Dick Jauron's make it or break it year. He will make it.

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 03:21 AM
It became a good deal because we didn't over pay, either in compensation to him or to the Jags - people saying we should give up a Day1 pick we mad.

We can now bring in a decent young DT in the draft to replace high effort but low ability Williams and to be mentored by Stroud.

Most importantly though, Brandon has shown, that although everyone knew that this was a critical need for the Bills, as a team we did not allow ourselves to be bullied by the other team, the player or his agent. This is an incredibly important reputation to establish for all future deals.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I think that this was a sound, solid move for the Bills in a lot of ways. See my article on the BZ front page about it when they post it there.