PDA

View Full Version : new developments on why Brian Campbell rejected the deal and was traded to San Jose

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Randy Smith (WNY Hockey News) was just interviewed on the Fan590 about the Campbell trade.

Not that this is new info...but he said he firmly believed that the deal with Campbell's contract (and now the trade involving San Jose) was strongly influenced by the NHLPA.

He said he had spoken to at least two different individuals who said the PA was pressuring Campbell NOT to sign with Buffalo and to get to free agency.

He believes there's no way Campbell will sign with San Jose before July 1st, barring some astronomical offer that he absolutely can't refuse. Doesn't believe Campbell is worth $6.5 and thought if Brian was following only what he wanted to do he might have signed that 3 year deal.

When Mike (don't recall which one) commented about Campbell having the ultimate say, Randy agreed to a certain extent but also talked about Campbell being a stand-up/honest guy that was in an impossible position of trying to "do what was best" for everyone.

In thinking about Campbell's personality (not that I know him personally) but just from watching him in interviews over the years - I can believe that he would be the type of person that would feel and react to the pressure of "being a good guy" and trying to "please" everyone, particularly if it was presented that it was his responsibility as a player to the league.

Maybe I'm just looking for a palatable explanation, but I could understand if this were the way things went down and that a lot of the anxiety and frustration we saw over the past few weeks was a result of feeling "squeezed".

http://sabresfans.proboards66.com/index.cgi?board=Sabres&action=display&thread=1204128657&page=1

Ebenezer
03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Randy Smith (WNY Hockey News) was just interviewed on the Fan590 about the Campbell trade.

Not that this is new info...but he said he firmly believed that the deal with Campbell's contract (and now the trade involving San Jose) was strongly influenced by the NHLPA. http://sabresfans.proboards66.com/index.cgi?board=Sabres&action=display&thread=1204128657&page=1

I still say that years ago the NHLPA targetted Peca and told him to sit...likewise the NHL owners told the Sabres not to resign him. This is the crap that destroys sports.

SabreEleven
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Let see how happy the NHLPA is when all of their clients are sitting for another whole year.

mchurchfie
03-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Another lockout is defnitely coming. Salaries are getting back to ridiculous again.:cynic:

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
This really didnt take very long to get out of hand, when will this CBA expire?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Another lockout is defnitely coming. Salaries are getting back to ridiculous again.:cynic:

No not a lockout a few hockey columnists I've listened to Hockey Night in Canada, and HOF Hockey writer and ex Buffalo News hockey writer Jim Kelley said that the NHL could go bankrupt if there's another work stoppage. This could be the end of the NHL, with Europe and Russia are going to start their own leagues.

Typ0
03-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I still say that years ago the NHLPA targetted Peca and told him to sit...likewise the NHL owners told the Sabres not to resign him. This is the crap that destroys sports.

I would go further and gather there is some bitterness between the players and the Sabres organization as evidenced by statements from Hasek and Griere: both said the organization was going backwards and we can only assume that is because of bad feelings between the two entities.

Typ0
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
No not a lockout a few hockey columnists I've listened to Hockey Night in Canada, and HOF Hockey writer and ex Buffalo News hockey writer Jim Kelley said that the NHL could go bankrupt if there's another work stoppage. This could be the end of the NHL, with Europe and Russia are going to start their own leagues.

it would be nice to see the NHL be the first organization to cross the pacific instead of those NFL bone heads.