PDA

View Full Version : Browns Add WR Stallworth

Midwesternbillsfan
03-01-2008, 04:15 PM
According to the NFL Network's scanner, the Browns, who were scheduled to host Donte Stallworth this afternoon, reached an agreement with him. With Stallworth in tow, that offense looks to be every bit at least as dynamic and explosive as it was last year; the rest of the league has to hope that Williams/Rodgers will be poor fits in the 34 and that Derek Anderson has a bit of a 'sophomore slump (yes, I realize he's going into his fourth season; it's only his second as the primary starter). The good news is that the AFC North faces both the AFC South and the NFC East next year; I don't think more than the divisional champ will be playing in January.

Mr. Miyagi
03-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I really don't know how they're doing this. Where's all the money coming from?

Midwesternbillsfan
03-01-2008, 04:39 PM

They've been sitting on this money- cap room- for some time. After their immersions into the market the last two seasons by adding Eric Steinbach, Corey Williams, Shaun Rodgers, and Donte Stallworth, and giving Jamal Lewis and Derek Anderson significant raises through their contract extensions, they're probably done for now- at least they don't have any 1st-3rd round draft picks to pay for- and in future years will be close to "capped out" with the exception of extending some of their young guys.

Mr. Pink
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM

They were approcximately 26 million under the cap entering Friday.

That's where.

yordad
03-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow. They were not messin around.

B-DON
03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
MORE ON STALLWORTH DEAL

We've gotten some more information about the contract signed between the Cleveland Browns and receiver Donte' Stallworth.

The $10 million in guaranteed payments are part of a five-year, $35 million deal.

It's not bad at all for a guy who couldn't parlay a strong 2006 season in Philly into a big-money deal last year in free agency. Instead, he got only (only?) $1 million in guaranteed money last year as part of a deal one-year "prove it" deal with the Pats.

Stallworth likely will be the starting receiver across from Braylon Edwards, with Joe Jurevicius relegated to second string.

Meanwhile, we need to echo MDS's comments regarding the absence of a first-round, second-round, or third-round pick this year in Cleveland. As a good friend of the site has previously explained to us in connection with the struggles of the Dolphins, the absence of multiple draft picks eventually could rob a team of its nucleus.

The Browns likely will overcome a single season without draft picks in the first three rounds. However, we're hoping that they don't make a habit of it.

Mr. Miyagi
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
They were approcximately 26 million under the cap entering Friday.

That's where.
Uh, aren't we like 38 million under?

If Cleveland can sgin all these premier players, I want to see us going after Roy Williams AND Moss by tomorrow.

Mr. Pink
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Uh, aren't we like 38 million under?

If Cleveland can sgin all these premier players, I want to see us going after Roy Williams AND Moss by tomorrow.

I can't even begin to imagine the contract it's gonna take to land Moss at this point. Especially with what Berrian got.

Berrian got a 6 year 42 million contract with 16 mill guaranteed.

What's it gonna take to sign Moss? 5 years 45 million with 25 mill guaranteed?

Don't Panic
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
They're making a run... I applaud them for the effort. Seems a little bit more like a collection of talent than wise building, though. Assuming we have a good draft, I like the direction we're headed in a lot better. Still... they should be back in the playoffs next year.

YardRat
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM
They certainly are turning up the heat in their division.

Ickybaluky
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM
What's it gonna take to sign Moss? 5 years 45 million with 25 mill guaranteed?

You have to think teams, including NE, are still Leary of Moss.

There is nobody more appreciative of what Moss brings to a team than me. It was easy to see the dramatic impact he had on the Pats offense, and the 23 TDs he scored are only part of that. He is one of the most dynamic talents in the history of the NFL.

That said, NE is still hesitant to offer him as much as he is looking for, even after what happened last year. One has to believe they are worried that if they guarantee him too much he might go Mr. Hyde on them at some point, despite his being Dr. Jeckle all last season. I don't think money is the problem, I think giving him less incentives (the basis of last year's deal) and more guaranteed money is where the hangup is.

The rest of the league might still feel the same way, and is still leary about offering him the large guaranteed dollars. As great as he played last season, the stink from his 2 years in Oakland is still fresh enough in people's minds.

That said, you have to think as some point a team will step into the breach and up the ante with him, giving him something closer to what he is looking for. One would think a team in the division would get involved thinking they might take away the Pats most dynamic weapon, or at worst driving up the price for NE.

I'd bet the Pats are willing to offer him pretty good money, but they want more in incentives and less up front. If another team comes along that is willing to guarantee a lot more, I am just as certain that Bill Belichick will walk away and move on. He has done it before many times.

Lexwhat
03-01-2008, 11:55 PM
You have to think teams, including NE, are still Leary of Moss.

There is nobody more appreciative of what Moss brings to a team than me. It was easy to see the dramatic impact he had on the Pats offense, and the 23 TDs he scored are only part of that. He is one of the most dynamic talents in the history of the NFL.

That said, NE is still hesitant to offer him as much as he is looking for, even after what happened last year. One has to believe they are worried that if they guarantee him too much he might go Mr. Hyde on them at some point, despite his being Dr. Jeckle all last season. I don't think money is the problem, I think giving him less incentives (the basis of last year's deal) and more guaranteed money is where the hangup is.

The rest of the league might still feel the same way, and is still leary about offering him the large guaranteed dollars. As great as he played last season, the stink from his 2 years in Oakland is still fresh enough in people's minds.

That said, you have to think as some point a team will step into the breach and up the ante with him, giving him something closer to what he is looking for. One would think a team in the division would get involved thinking they might take away the Pats most dynamic weapon, or at worst driving up the price for NE.

I'd bet the Pats are willing to offer him pretty good money, but they want more in incentives and less up front. If another team comes along that is willing to guarantee a lot more, I am just as certain that Bill Belichick will walk away and move on. He has done it before many times.

I could see Dallas offering him what he wants. They were able to control TO, and I think they could also control Moss. If the Cowboys were to acquire Moss, they have to become NFC favorites. Jerry Jones is always willing to pay.

Moss playing for the Eagles or Chargers makes TOO much sense. However, with their GMs, I doubt they would bring in Moss.

IMO, if the Pats let him go, it will be a huge mistake for them (great for us). Tom Brady's only legitimate WR option will be Wes Welker (a great slot receiver). They are still a playoff team without Moss and Stallworth, but I don't think they are Super-Bowl favorites anymore.