PDA

View Full Version : My first mock... zoned to the bone!

coastal
03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Greetings everyone! Here is my stab at an all Bills mock draft with comments. This mock takes into account the signings of out 2 new DT's and LB. I am also assuming the signing of Troupe and Antonio Bryant.

Here goes...

Round 1. Derrick Harvey, DE Florida - Did anyone else get a hard-on watching Justin Tuck personally make the Patriots oline and Tom Brady his collective *****? Dude has an 82" wingspan and still put up 32 reps of 225# at the Combine. He is 6'5" and now weighs 291. I personally think he made a mistake by coming out as a junior, but he will be surrounded by an awful lot of veteran and young talent here. He will have every opportunity to succeed here.

Round 2. Martellus Bennett, TE Texas A&M - With the signing of Troupe the Bills will stabilize the position on the team. Troupe is never going to dominate a game or have to be accounted for, but he is a solid football player. With the addition of Bennett, who is 6'6" with a very good basketball background, I'm thinking the Bills will have solved their red-zone defeciencies as well. Bennett is actually a very good blocker as well. He also is a total piece of work of a personality too. Every locker room needs someone like this.

Round 3. Chevis Jackson, CB LSU - A good solid, physical corner from an SEC team. He played extremely well throughout the year and had a solid Senior Bowl week. This would be a steal here. Once camp starts there would be no question in mind that Chevis would push Youboty down the depth chart.

Round 4. D.J. Hall, WR Alabama - so what if I like SEC teams? so what if DJ has been reported as a divisve member of the Crimson Tide. All he did was show up and become the all-time leading receiver of the Tide. This kid has a fire in his belly. Direct him in the right way and he'll pay off for you. He is also insurance should we not be able to resign Lee Evans.

Round 5. Gary Guyton, OLB Georgia Tech - He was overshadowed by Philip Wheeler, but this kid can play the game too. He needs the coaching but might flourish in a year or two in this system.

Round 6. Fernando Valasko, C/G Georgia - It will take him a year or two to get "coached up" but once he does, no one is going to get around, by or through him. I don't know what the kid has going on upstairs but if he is a student of the game, he might be the answer at center in a year or two. The other option here is Jamey from UB. He's got the upstairs but not the power presence that Fernando does. Two different football players.

Round 7a. Zackary Bowman, CB Nebraska - He is not compeltely rehabbed yet in spite of his quick 40 time at the Combine. If he can be 90% of of what he could have been, then this pick is a steal.

Round 7b. Jerome Felton, FB Furman- An all around football player who can run, pass, and block. He also had a very good showing at the East West Shrine game on special teams. Something is telling me that did not go un-noticed in this organization, especially considering that we stand to lose some of our veteran specail teams starters.

Confused
03-01-2008, 06:42 PM
2 cb's is a bit much. Not sold on Harvey.how bout an LB in the 3rd, and DRC @ 11?

coastal
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
2 cb's is a bit much. Not sold on Harvey.how bout an LB in the 3rd, and DRC @ 11?I'm not sold on Harvey either... Merling can be counted on play in and play out, but Harvey is a freak that could change a game by himself. Put him around people like Schobel, Kelsay, Poz, Crowell, and Stroud... he won't take a play off. I like the gamble on this kid.

I agree... if we go CB in the 3rd, we might not need another one. I do think we need another offensive linemen in the mix as well. Losing the extra 5th hurts. You can usually find real good offensive linemen in the 5th. Stroud better be worth it.

I'm sorry... I just don't want CB in the 1st. If the Giants aught us anything is that the way to beat Tom Brady is to get after him. We need to pimp this dline out.

Jan Reimers
03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I think we need a WR before the 4th round.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Not too bad. 2 CB's is fine. Once the 3rd round starts, it is all BPA anyway.

DraftBoy
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Not too bad. 2 CB's is fine. Once the 3rd round starts, it is all BPA anyway.

That's an interesting theory to have

alohabillsfan
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree (I think?) with the Harvey pick in round 1! Look at all the teams that will try to move up to get a DE. I believe we can get a WR/CB in rds 2 and 3.

cookie G
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Coastal,

Get your ass back where you belong.

Gil

Jaybird
03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
chevis would be a steal in the third

Ron Burgundy
03-11-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm not sold on Harvey either... Merling can be counted on play in and play out, but Harvey is a freak that could change a game by himself. Put him around people like Schobel, Kelsay, Poz, Crowell, and Stroud... he won't take a play off. I like the gamble on this kid.

I agree... if we go CB in the 3rd, we might not need another one. I do think we need another offensive linemen in the mix as well. Losing the extra 5th hurts. You can usually find real good offensive linemen in the 5th. Stroud better be worth it.

I'm sorry... I just don't want CB in the 1st. If the Giants aught us anything is that the way to beat Tom Brady is to get after him. We need to pimp this dline out.
Oh Coastal, still relying on Mommy to do your draft homework for you? Tell that ***** to use the Jaws of Life to get out of my bed, get in the kitchen, and make me a sammich.

I'd dearly love to go into next season with Evans and Josh Reed starting at WR. Fer chrissakes. :no:

Dr. Lecter
03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
That's an interesting theory to have

It is the theory the Bills follow for the most part.

DraftBoy
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
It is the theory the Bills follow for the most part.

By that logic however say Jamaal Charles or Kevin Smith fall to Round 3 and become the arguable BPA, you take them? Draft theories are meant to be flexible not sturdy.

Dr. Lecter
03-12-2008, 07:42 AM
By that logic however say Jamaal Charles or Kevin Smith fall to Round 3 and become the arguable BPA, you take them? Draft theories are meant to be flexible not sturdy.

Of course they are flexible.

Hence the "for the most part" disclaimer. Don't reach for a position of need in the 3rd round and waste the pick.

kernowboy
03-12-2008, 10:19 AM
In last years draft NYG picked up Aaron Ross, allowing the oppositions WRs to be better covered, their QB held the ball longer and couldn't find someone open and either failed to connect or were connected with. Therefore

R1. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, CB, Tennesse St - 6ft2, 185lbs, 4.28 in the 40 dash

Tuck did excellent work on the DL but it was from the middle. Strahan and Umeyiora were applying pressure from the outside and Tuck seemed to be rotating with Cofield and Robbins. Now Tuck runs a 40 of 4.61 but our 3rd down guy Spencer Johnson runs a 5.10. Surely with Kelsay, Denney and Schobel applying pressure from the outside, we need someone in the backfield from the middle.

R2. Dre Moore DL, Maryland, 6ft4, 310lbs, 4.82

Clearly what we need in our WR corps is a guy over 6ft and 220lbs able to 'bully' the opposition secondary .....

R3. Adarius Bowman WR, Oklahoma St, 6ft3, 223lbs, 4.69 but faster than that

a pass catching DE from a pro-offence would be good but several are much of a muchness

R4a. John Carlson TE, Notre Dame, 6ft6, 255lbs, 4.89

We apparently may get a supplementary pick in R4 and here some depth to work in behind Schobel would be good

R4b. Jeremy Thompson DE, Wake Forest, 6ft4, 264lbs, 4.73

We need to add some depth on the OL as Whittle, Estes, Chambers and Preston are merely journeymen

R5. Kirk Barton G/T, Ohio St, 6ft4, 310lbs, 5.09

R6. Drew Miller C/G, Florida, 6ft5, 298lbs, 5.08

Some depth at LB would be good but no more small guys - a college DE converted to SLB would be good. We apparently also may get a supplementary pick.

R7a. Andrew Studebaker, SLB, Wheaton, 6ft3, 245lbs, 4.49

More depth and height at WR would be good

R7b. Marcus Henry, WR, Kansas, 6ft4, 210lbs, 4.50

And a quarter back with all the physical intangibles and work ethic and simply requiring conistent coaching

R7c. Kyle Wright, QB Miami, 6ft4, 225lbs, 4.80

venis2k1
03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Why does everyone want to follow the Giants model, they just made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth in a much weaker NFC.

mysticsoto
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Why does everyone want to follow the Giants model, they just made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth in a much weaker NFC.

B'cse they've established how to beat the Patriots...

coastal
03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Now that we have lost out on both Troupe and Bryant, I have updated my mock draft....

Round 1. Devin Thomas, WR Michigan State - Production, Production, Production! For those of you whining about how he only did it for one year... that's just dumb so stop. This kid is a football player first and foremost. He is basically 6'2" and weighs over 200# along with running a 4.4 40. He has stickum hands and knows how to run after the catch as he started in high school as a RB. The kicker (pun intended) is that he returns kicks extremely well. Bobby April would have the opportunity of putting him back there with McGee. I am so tried of the Limas Sweed and Malcolm Kelly crap. If we take either of those stiffs over this kid, I'll puke.

Round 2. Antoine Cason, CB Arizona - Seems to me that everyone in the world is jacking their puds over these Kansas, Middle Tenn St, Boise St, and Troy corners who look really cool at Combine-type places. **** that ****. Not saying that these guys aren't going to make it, but my money is on Antoine to be more than successful in this league for a longtime. Not just that, but he is ideal for our system and can be plugged in immedaitely because of his experience, knowledge and study of the game. Martellus Bennet's presence on the board might cause me pause here, but the need of CB is glaring seeing who we play twice a year.

Round 3. Tavares Gooden, LB Miami - There is little to no depth behind our solid starting group. Tavares changes that dynamic immediately as he has experience playing all 3 positions. Philip Wheeler is also an option here.

Round 4. Kellen Davis, TE Michigan State - This kid has all the potential in the world to go boom. As with most players of this type... the opposite is equally as true. With a coaching staff like ours he'll have every opportunity in the world to succeed here. At a minimum he will bring some red zone options into play during his rookie year.

Round 5. Brandon Keith, OT Northern Iowa - Dude is a physical freak and could very well be a starter in this league. He had some man-child issues and that needs to be looked into. He could be a more than solid back-up to Peters and Walker.

Round 6. Fernando Valasko, C/G Georgia - It will take him a year or two to get "coached up" but once he does, no one is going to get around, by or through him. I don't know what the kid has going on upstairs but if he is a student of the game, he might be the answer at center in a year or two. The other option here is Jamey from UB. He's got the upstairs but not the power presence that Fernando does. Two different football players.

Round 7a. Zackary Bowman, CB Nebraska - He is not compeltely rehabbed yet in spite of his quick 40 time at the Combine. If he can be 90% of of what he could have been, then this pick is a steal.

Round 7b. Jerome Felton, FB Furman- An all around football player who can run, pass, and block. He also had a very good showing at the East West Shrine game on special teams. Something is telling me that did not go un-noticed in this organization, especially considering that we stand to lose some of our veteran specail teams starters.<!-- / message -->

ParanoidAndroid
03-16-2008, 02:32 PM
On Thomas.....whay the rudeness about the question mark on where he was before his senior year? I mean, your rebutal is "That's just dumb, so stop?" I mean, the first thing you say is "production, production, production," but he only produced for one year. Compare his production to Hardy and tell me he still deserves all that hype. It's fine if you think otherwise, but don't dismiss a disagreement as dumb. Not everyone is going to agree with you because you try really hard to make them.

coastal
03-16-2008, 06:03 PM
On Thomas.....whay the rudeness about the question mark on where he was before his senior year? I mean, your rebutal is "That's just dumb, so stop?" I mean, the first thing you say is "production, production, production," but he only produced for one year. Compare his production to Hardy and tell me he still deserves all that hype. It's fine if you think otherwise, but don't dismiss a disagreement as dumb. Not everyone is going to agree with you because you try really hard to make them.Okay... it's not dumb.

It just doesn't fit in with the reality of who Devin is as a football player.

Is that better?

alohabillsfan
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
RD 1 - WR D Thomas #2 WR
RD 2 - CB T. Porter Starts at Nickel Back
RD 3 - WR J. Nelson Slot guy faster than J Reed and better blocker
RD 4 - TE J. Tamme Another weapon for Trent to work with long term!
RD 4* RB M. Hart Yes he may fall this far and if he does... Could live with O. Schmit
RD 5 - DE B. Johnson, Small school, can't have to many white DE's :o)
RD 6 - FB J. Hester Another Buffalo kind of guy.
RD 7 - C J Richard Univ. of Buffalo
RD 7 - QB R. Santos New Hamshire

The FO has picked their QB, it seems to me that the pressure is on for him to succeed, so let load up with weapons!