PDA

View Full Version : Spencers Contract

Devin
03-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Johnson's deal is for five years and a total of $17.5 million, according to a league source. The deal includes $6 million in guaranteed money.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/288871.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/288871.html)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

It is also worth noting that the general feeling appears to be that Johnson will compete with McCargo to start. He wasnt brought in to just be a backup.

hydro
03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Worth as much as Mitchell? There has to be more to this guy than just the medicore numbers he has put up.

Don't Panic
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Worth as much as Mitchell? There has to be more to this guy than just the medicore numbers he has put up.

The numbers are limited because of playing time... 3 sacks on the season from a DT when you see the field MAYBE one of every four downs is a nice place to work from. At that money though, he better be competing to start. $3.5 million per for a backup isn't going to fly.

YardRat
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
The manner in which the Bills rotate their linemen, it really isn't going to matter who is on the field to start the game. They'll all see significant PT, and they all better produce.

No excuses for the defense this year...it's time to put up or shut up.

Devin
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Yeah he was playing behind 2 pro bowl DT's and used as a situational rusher.

Im not saying hes the answer or anything, just that there is a bit more to it then just that. We shall see.

colin
03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
this kid is a hustler.

he is small but plays low and with lots of power. expect him to blow through the line and make running backs fall down.

i want us to sign one more dt (or draft) and then we'll have a real solid rotation of guys that can all get after the passer or play the run well.

jmb1099
03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't even say why because I don't know myself, but I have a good feeling about this guy

Al the Bills Fan
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
The manner in which the Bills rotate their linemen, it really isn't going to matter who is on the field to start the game. They'll all see significant PT, and they all better produce.

No excuses for the defense this year...it's time to put up or shut up.

I have to agree with you. We rotate our DT so much that the top four DT will all see about the same amount of time.

Al the Bills Fan
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I can't even say why because I don't know myself, but I have a good feeling about this guy

I have been on the Vikes boards for awhile trying to guage the posters views on him. Most have only good things to say about him. The general mood of the boards over there is that they are sad to see him leave. He may turn out to be a heck of a DT.

hydro
03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Totally under the radar too. I had never ever heard of him for his name came up here.

jmb1099
03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I have been on the Vikes boards for awhile trying to guage the posters views on him. Most have only good things to say about him. The general mood of the boards over there is that they are sad to see him leave. He may turn out to be a heck of a DT.
I was snooping around as well, got the same vibe. Like I said, I don't even know why, but I just have a good feeling about this. Our defense is better by leaps and bounds in one weekend.

The Jokeman
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Johnson falls in lines of other signings like Royal, Tripplett and Nall in recent years ie backups that we hope will become more then backups when given the chance to start. I think we overpaid for him as it sounds like he's set to earn twice as much as Tripplett was set to earn. All things considered he might be better then Tripplett but as of now can't say that with any certainty.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-02-2008, 05:25 AM
He's more versatile than Tripplett and less likely to make a fuss about not starting if McCargo and Stroud are the starters.

He can be the # 3 guy at DT or at DE--especially if Denney's foot proves to be a problem--and, if he does that, he will be playing a key role in the rotation. Gives the Bills lots of flexibility to put in different rush packages on defense now.

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 06:31 AM
He's too slow to be a DE

However in R2, we may find Dre Moore available.

He played the NT/1-tackle at Maryland so has experience and is an automatic upgrade over Williams who can't be questioned for effort but can for everything else.

More important is his 40 time. Verying between 305-311lbs, this guy ran at 4.88 in the 40 at the combine and has unofficially ran a 4.82.

By way of comparison, Calais Campbell, who everyone says has 'potential' ran a 5.03 at the combine whilst weighing 290lbs

Moore is heavy, faster, and can be more versatile in this defensive rotation.

B-DON
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
games are won on the line. Stock pile as many lineman as possible ala Giants

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Love this signing, I think he could really surprise a lot.

Saratoga Slim
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Love this signing, I think he could really surprise a lot.

I do too. In any event, with the way we rotate our DTs, we now have 4 serviceable DTs, with Stroud, McCargo, Johnson and Williams. Johnson and Williams may not be ideal starters, but they're definately not scrubs. That's a much better DT collection than we've had in a while.

raphael120
03-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Tell you what...it'd be interesting to know how much money we have invested in our D-line...it's got to be a lot.

And for all the money we have AGAIN tied up in the line, it BETTER be damn good.

B-DON
03-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Games are won and lost in the trenches. Given our new found talent on both sides of the line and i think we should be a viable playoff contender this season and beyond