X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

Bryant Johnson and Ben Troupe

I remember when Arizona drafted this guy out of Penn State. A lot of "experts" said he has the talent and size to become a number 1 target in the NFL. In fact he was talented enough to start right away his rookie season but was lost in the shadow of fellow rookie Anquan Bolidn.

The point is Johnson has put up pretty solid stats for a number 3 reciever and im my opinion is ready to be a number two, he just needs a chance.

He has the size and leaping ability this offense is DYING for and would be an absolutely awesome signing...as long as we dont end up paying him around 4-6 million a year which is what many people were predicting.

as for Troupe...

He was projected to be in the same class as Ben Watson (who went in the last pick of the 1st round that year). As for raw talent many considered Troupe to be the more talented one, but it was just the question of whether or not he could pick up the game at the next level.

Watson has turned out to be a great pro, and Troupe (much like Bryant Johnson) hasn't had a chance to start in the NFL as he was stuck being Erron Kinney for his first couple years, and lost playing time to Vince Young's former collegiate teammate Bo Scafie in the Titans offense.

I think that this guy would be a great addition, once again depending on the contract that he demands, but if we can get him for around what we signed Royal for...the Bills should do it in a heart beat.
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bryant Johnson and Ben Troupe

i like troupe but hope that we still go after a TE in the draft.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

If the price is right for Johnson = sign. Like others have said, Troupe doesn't improve the roster.

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

"stuck behind" = "isn't as good as"
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by more cowbell
          I remember when Arizona drafted this guy out of Penn State. A lot of "experts" said he has the talent and size to become a number 1 target in the NFL. In fact he was talented enough to start right away his rookie season but was lost in the shadow of fellow rookie Anquan Bolidn.

The point is Johnson has put up pretty solid stats for a number 3 reciever and im my opinion is ready to be a number two, he just needs a chance.

He has the size and leaping ability this offense is DYING for and would be an absolutely awesome signing...as long as we dont end up paying him around 4-6 million a year which is what many people were predicting.

Bryant Johnson would be an absloutely phenomenal pickup for the team. Excellent.

There is an huge amount of truth to the fact that his numbers have suffered from being behind two Probowl receivers. First of all, Anquan Boldin was picked in the second round of the same draft as Johnson...only Johnson was picked in the first round (17th overall), Boldin in the second. This was in 2003....that very same year (his rookie year), Boldin had 101 catches for 1,377 yards. He has broken several NFL records.

Then, the very next year, the Cardinals picked Larry Fitzgerald in the first round, 3rd overall. This guy is a beast. Fitzgerald and Boldin are a pair of receivers that have both had 100 catches in the same year, only the 3rd WR duo to do so in the entire history of the NFL. Fitzgerald and Boldin both had over 100 catches and 1,400 yards each in 2005, which is unreal.

Bryant Johnson's number's, being the thrid seed by default, have still been better than our #2's numbers. I'm telling you, that there is a good reason why he hasn't been more noticeable in the NFL. As an extreme example, say you have Jerry Rice, Andre Reed, and Randy Moss on the same team...someone ain't gonna have the numbers to equal his talent level.

Getting Bryant Johnson would automatically put us into a higher tax bracket.

Arizona has been doing what Detroit has been doing, and that's trying to land any number of great receivers through the draft, only Arizona has been much more successful at it.

Trust me, Bryant Johnson is our man. If we get him, he'll get close to 1,000 yards as the #2, something we haven't seen here in a long time.

Comment

Ben Troupe could be an outstanding pickup if he returns to his 2005 form where he had 55 rec for 530yds and 4TDs.

He has been used far less since Young got drafted and maybe just needs a TE friendly QB like Edwards.

My concern about Bryant Johnson that although he'd be a good pickup, he may considerably over value his skills for the team and this will set a very uncomfortable bench mark when it comes to negotiations with Lee Evans

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
              "stuck behind" = "isn't as good as"
              I agree hes not as good.

But isnt a guy who isnt a pro-bowler still potentially better than Josh Reed? I mean seriously, Bryant Johnson or Josh Reed?

Thats an easy one.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kernowboy
                Ben Troupe could be an outstanding pickup if he returns to his 2005 form where he had 55 rec for 530yds and 4TDs.

He has been used far less since Young got drafted and maybe just needs a TE friendly QB like Edwards.

My concern about Bryant Johnson that although he'd be a good pickup, he may considerably over value his skills for the team and this will set a very uncomfortable bench mark when it comes to negotiations with Lee Evans
                Vince Young isnt exactly a classic pocket passer who picks defenses apart and spreads the ball around either.

I still would prefer Crumpler

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

I think Troupe has the ability to offer the Bills more than Johnson.

If he is fully healthy, Troupe actually is exceptionally athletic and has done some nice things when he wasn't hurt. The fact that Scaife, V.Young's college TE took over the starting job when he was hurt made things tough for Troupe in Tenn. He could have done better last year, but who knows with V.Young at QB.

L.Johnson, on the other hand, had plenty of opportunities to shine--when Boldin was hurt and missed half of a season, for example--and has not done much, even though he has played in a passing offense. His numbers look good for a # 3 WR, but you have to consider that the #1 and # 2 WRs were Fitz and Boldin and they were getting most of the coverage. How would his numbers look if he were the # 3 in another offense? (Consider how good J.Reed's numbers or Parrish's numbers would be if they were playing in that situation!) I just don't think they would be good enough to convince me that he could step up to the # 2 WR job with the Bills.

While I wouldn't be totally upset if the Bills signed L.Johnson, I would not want them to give him a lot of money or years because I really think that all he is going to be is a "stop-gap" until the WR that they take early on in this year's draft is ready to take the starting job from him.

Of course, if the Bills do get Johnson that would also allow them to part company with J.Reed after the rookie they draft is ready to start. And, having him and the rook might give them a tad bit of leverage in trying to get Evans to sign a contract extension.

But, I still have a lot of doubts about L.Johnson.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Larry Johnson would be a great backup RB....lol

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't be excited about either of them, but I'd give them a chance. They're both unproven, so they'd have to earn my excitement. Troupe fell to THIRD STRING in Tenn, and Johnson has looked good against nickelbacks in a pass-happy offense ... kinda like Az-Zahir Hakim a few years back. Johnson had five games last year to prove what he can do as a starter, and he had 21 catches for 210 yards and 2 TDs. Not bad, but nothing special. He'd be an upgrade, and in this weak FA class, that's the most you can ask for I guess. He better not get more than Wilford money, that's for sure. And I'd still want a day-one WR in the draft, which would be prudent anyway considering Evans' contract situation.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                      X