PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts ...

Lexwhat
03-01-2008, 11:25 PM
I am not trying to whine or be negative, but I don't think this team is playoff-bound yet. I like the moves we made so far, but I still think we are lacking talent overall.

Anyways, my thoughts:

- We basically traded Willis McGahee (and a 5th rounder) for Trent Edwards and Marcus Stroud. Looks good on paper.

- This O-Line is 1 injury away from chaos. Duke Preston and Kirk Chambers suck. IMO, we need to sign a 1 Tackle in FA.

- I don't like the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st round (I would rather sign a #2 via FA and then extend Evans).

- I wouldn't mind drafting a CB, but I think we could still get a good one in the 2nd round. I would rather consider DT or DE, as long as one is worthy at the #11 spot (grab the B.P.A. out of the 2 positions). In today's NFL, our D-Line is still not good enough.

- I think we should draft a Center with our 3rd rounder. Fowler would make a good back-up.

- I am unhappy with both Safety positions. IMO, I think Whitner would be better at FS. However, I don't know who to put at the Strong Safety position, and this is not a good year to address that position. Perhaps next year...

- I hope these players never wear a Bills uniform again: Sam Aiken, Josh Stamer, Coy Wire. I don't dislike them personally, but even with so many injuries, they will never crack a starting lineup. Out with the old, in with the new.

- I wish Alge Crumpler would sign his name on a Buffalo Bills contract.

Moral of the Story? Our O-Line isn't good enough to stand up to good D-Lines. And our D-Line isn't good enough to stand up to good O-Lines. With our lines, we can't stand up to AFC teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Colts, Chargers, or Browns.

patmoran2006
03-02-2008, 01:39 AM
First.. good post.. 2nd.. I apologize if I mess up your thoughts.however, Im really drunk as hell.. so...

I am not trying to whine or be negative, but I don't think this team is playoff-bound yet. I like the moves we made so far, but I still think we are lacking talent overall.

Anyways, my thoughts:

- We basically traded Willis McGahee (and a 5th rounder) for Trent Edwards and Marcus Stroud. Looks good on paper.
Looks more than good. thats' f'n ridiculous.

- This O-Line is 1 injury away from chaos. Duke Preston and Kirk Chambers suck. IMO, we need to sign a 1 Tackle in FA.
So are about 29 teams in the NFL.

- I don't like the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st round (I would rather sign a #2 via FA and then extend Evans).
Almost agreed.. They need an upgrade NOW. They should draft a WR early, possibly the 1st round too.. You cant defend 3 good WR's, and im not talking about that bum Josh Reed. Evans needs to EARn an extension, he did nothing last year, though I think its more the "systems" fault than his.

- I wouldn't mind drafting a CB, but I think we could still get a good one in the 2nd round. I would rather consider DT or DE, as long as one is worthy at the #11 spot (grab the B.P.A. out of the 2 positions). In today's NFL, our D-Line is still not good enough.
You're wrong.. Our DLine just became more than good enough... Having said that, I would draft a Cb, probably in round 2, but I need to do more research.

- I think we should draft a Center with our 3rd rounder. Fowler would make a good back-up.
Folwer starts in 2008.. Otherwise agreed, time to develope someone.. dont know how.. Draftboy can give you a 3rd round center, I cant.

- I am unhappy with both Safety positions. IMO, I think Whitner would be better at FS. However, I don't know who to put at the Strong Safety position, and this is not a good year to address that position. Perhaps next year...
I'm not a fan of whitner's.. I think he's very "average". In fact, I like Simpson better than Whitner and this goes back before he got hurt. horrible 8th overall pick.. Umm.. ernie simms.. haloti ngata.....however, he wont "hurt" us and I think Whitner will get better.. WE have FAR more pressing needs.

- I hope these players never wear a Bills uniform again: Sam Aiken, Josh Stamer, Coy Wire. I don't dislike them personally, but even with so many injuries, they will never crack a starting lineup. Out with the old, in with the new. Wire is gone already.. l like Aiken he has a spot on my roster anytime

Moral of the Story? Our O-Line isn't good enough to stand up to good D-Lines. And our D-Line isn't good enough to stand up to good O-Lines. With our lines, we can't stand up to AFC teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Colts, Chargers, or Browns.
With stroud, we just made a major step.. offensively, give Edwards more time he'll make the OL look better

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Agreed

1. Stroud and Edwards is good on paper. Hell, just Edwards is good on paper compared to McGahee

2. For me the crucial selection is a backup LT - we can get someone who can cover the interior OL positions in the draft. I reckon we need to have a look at Mike Pearson of the Argos who a) is a former NFL LT b) started 31 games before injury c) is only 27 d) will be cheap

3. I think we can get a WR in Free Agency but I am uncertain as to the depth of talent - is Bryant Johnson good enough? Will Hackett last beyond midseason? I think we can get a No2 in R3 - we don't a No1, we need a big physical receiver like ... well Adarius Bowman who will be available here.

4. Based on Free Agency, we need to go CB in R1 - it is likely to be BPA too. Free Agent CBs are ridiculously expensive and we cannot rely on always being cheap here - talent as well as money. Even Cover2 benefits from a top CB, and we lack height in the secondary - someone like Dominique Rogers-Cromartie will be a decent selection.

5. The top centers in this years draft are small like Pollak and Justice - less than 300lbs - so we don't gain over Fowler. Bigger guys like Legursky (311) and Velasco (328) are likely to be available lower down the draft in the 5th round where we still have another 5th from the Walker/Bears trade.

6. I think Whitner has been a decent SS. Ask Huff and Jason Allen. No8 was too high but there you go. I'm surprised at the hate towards Simpson. He had a top rookie season and is still very young. He'd be better by now if Webster hadn't broken his ankle. I would like to Wendling be given a look as well. We seem to have forgotten we drafted him last year

7. Agree, and though Pat Moran will hate me, we need to replace Stammer with someone like Teddy Lehman. Plays ST for the Lions, started and played well at SLB under Jauron. He is back from his injuries. We also need to get a proper dedicated LS to replace Neill. Greg Warren is a RFA at the Steelers and our last guy from that source, Mike Schneck became a probowler with Moorman. We have a 6th rounder and two 7th ... we need to ask Bobby April who he'd like.

8. Disagree. Crumpler is too banged up as is Eric Johnson. We need Gaines back on board and a draft pick. Despite losing our Third Rounder, someome like Jermichael Finley, John Carlson or Kellen Davis could be available in the 4th after their combine performances - Kevin Boss did ok at the SuperBowl :) However if Ben Troupe can return to his 2005 form ( 55rec, 530yds, 4TDs) then for a reasonable contract he'd be a great pickup

A greater need is Full Back - bringing in MacIntyre means Barnes hasn't convinced yet Dan Kreider is still available and at 31, 5ft11 and 255lbs with a record of also having blocked for a 1000yds solely or combined, he'd be a great veteran pickup

We needed a bigger DL not a massive one, as the NYG proved, and Stroud gives us that meat in the middle. There is little wrong with the OL (26sacks) but Lynch could benefit from a headbanger like Kreider and Edwards from either better targets or after Fairchild's playcalling, maybe just a better use of targets.

YardRat
03-02-2008, 07:11 AM

Looks GREAT on paper...If Edwards can progress and Stroud can stay healthy this is a no-brainer.

I agree, and wouldn't mind seeing the team re-sign Whittle for depth, actually, and am kind of warming up to kern's idea of bringing in Pearson at least for a look.

I want all three. A FA #2, a high pick to groom for a year or two, and Evans extended.

I think our d-line is good enough now, but need to grab a corner in the first two rounds.

Agreed...We can live with Fowler for another year, but in '09 he needs to be replaced with either an '08 draft pick or a FA.

I like the core of Whitner, Simpson and Wilson. It's going to be fun to see how these guys perform now that the front seven has been upgraded.

- I hope these players never wear a Bills uniform again: Sam Aiken, Josh Stamer, Coy Wire. I don't dislike them personally, but even with so many injuries, they will never crack a starting lineup. Out with the old, in with the new.

Stamer and Wire, OK...I'd rather see them re-sign Aiken, though, for ST's and to fill a sixth receiver spot. Evans, FA, High draft pick, Parrish, Reed, and Aiken looks pretty solid to me.

It'd be nice if the FO at least gave him a solid look.

don137
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
I do think the OL needs to be addressed especially at center and maybe at RG. The OL did better as the season wore on however they never did a good job at moving the pile on 3rd and short situations and at goal line. If the Bills want to make the playoffs they need to run the clock out with the lead and converting 3rd and short plus getting TDs instead of FGs when inside the opponents 5 yard line is critical.

alohabillsfan
03-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Still need

WR Physical, maybe 2 (1 FA Walker or Johnson)
TE that can stretch the field
CB
C B/U Fowlers eventual replacement
DE

With that said I would like to trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder (maybe with Jax we seem to have a good relationship and they desire > Harvey DE Florida who may not be there when they pick.

Draft
CB RD 1
TE RD 2
DE RD 2
C RD 3