PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Picks for 2008 draft

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 03:13 AM
What is the current indication about how the Compensatory Picks will be handed out this year?

Will the Bills get any?

My other thoughts are that how these picks are distributed might have an impact on the trade value for Losman.

If a team is getting compensation at the end of Round3, they might be more willing to give up a their own R3 or R4 for Losman, where otherwise they might wish to hold onto their picks.

I say this because I understand you cannot trade compensatory picks. Is this true?

Bert102176
03-02-2008, 04:31 AM
I don't believe the Bills are getting any this year cause of signing Dockery and Whittle and all the guys they signed

Al13
03-02-2008, 06:09 AM
bills will get a good pick for the loss of clements i think

Al13
03-02-2008, 06:09 AM
you cannot trade compensatory picks. Is this true?

thats true

LifetimeBillsFan
03-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I don't think anyone knows yet whether the Bills will be getting any Compensatory Picks. But it is true that those picks cannot be traded.

The league uses a complicated, secret formula for figuring out whether a team gets a Compensatory pick or not that only Houdini knows or can figure out and he's not telling....

Supposedly it is based on how much the players coming and going signed for and how much playing time they got, etc., but whatever it is, nobody outside of the league seems to know.

Given that salary and playing time are factors in it, though, it is tough to tell whether the Bills would be eligible for a Compensatory Pick or not based on the fact that they signed Dockery, L.Walker and Whittle and had to bring in guys like Gaines, etc. (who were technically free agents, although how "street free agents" figure into the process or if they do is unknown). And, Dockery and L.Walker started all 16 games for them.

On the other side of the coin, the money that they spent on those guys was at least offset by what was given to N.Clements and L.Fletcher and those guys had 16 starts apiece as well. Spikes, D.Walker and Holcomb were all traded, so they won't count into any calculations. So, who knows.

The league will announce what teams will be getting Compensatory Picks and what rounds they will come in, but I don't know when that will be. Historically, though, the Bills haven't fared as well in that process as many have thought they might, so I'm not going to count on them getting anything at all and feel that they will be lucky if they get one in the 6th or 7th round, if they even get that.

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Other teams will get picks however ... and depending where these are they may then be happy to give up a similar round pick for Losman.

If the Vikes get a 3rd rounder for compensation, might they then think about trading their own 3rd for Losman?

YardRat
03-02-2008, 06:56 AM
I think they'll be determined at the owners meeting just previous to the draft, late-March, early-April.

clumping platelets
03-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Comp picks cannot be traded

Bills will likely get one comp pick in the 5th or 6th rd

Mitchy moo
03-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Comp picks cannot be traded

Bills will likely get one comp pick in the 5th or 6th rd

woo-hoo, who do we take?

VeggieMan14
03-02-2008, 09:42 AM
woo-hoo, who do we take? the guy with the coolest name