PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report - 48 HRS

YardRat
03-02-2008, 06:43 AM
With Saturday's action now out of the way...

DT-Traded for Stroud, signed Johnson, cut Tripplett. Net difference = HUGE plus.

WR-According to reports, Johnson is either already in town or coming today. Even if Johnson doesn't sign this is a clear indication that Jauron is going to follow through with his desire to attempt to upgrade the #2 WR through FA and if we miss here there are still a couple of guys available for 'Plan B'. Based on effort = plus.

TE-Troup supposedly is here with Johnson. Same as WR, effort = plus.

LB-Mitchell was a good signing and a definite upgrade to the line-up. Plus.

CB-No rumours, no visits...nothing. Cut Thomas. Loss.

#2 QB-Nobody on the radar, apparently, and JP most likely out the door. Loss.

C-Again...Nobody on the radar, but at least we haven't cut Fowler yet. Push.

RG-Nary a mention, and probably the least likely position to be expected to be addressed via FA, so not really a big deal IMO.

FB-The kid from Atlanta, who I believe is a RFA, is coming in Monday for a visit. Maybe an 'E' for 'effort'.

Overall - The moves made by the team the first two days of FA significantly upgrade our defensive starting line-up on paper...The new players came in at positions of need, and they were acquired for fair compensation and given fair contracts. If Stroud can stay healthy, Mitchell and Johnson can play as well or better than they did for their former teams we're pretty close to 'golden' on that side of the ball.

It would be nice to get another corner in here to at least replace Thomas, but if we pass on CB's to get a TE, WR, and FB for the offensive side of the ball you can't really blame the front office for not addressing every perceived need through just FA.

We still need a vet #2 QB, but that can come later when other positions have been addressed. Same with C and RG...Fowler definitely needs to be replaced eventually but if we need to make do for one more year while a rookie develops or a vet becomes available next year it won't be the end of the world. One can also hope (expect?) Butler to continue to progress and possibly make RG a moot point.

Night Train
03-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Well done.

Johnson is supposed to be here today or tomorrow, according to the Buffalo News. Same with Troupe.

If we sign Johnson or another WR, then I'm thinking one of those talented CB's like DRC or McKelvin could be our 1st round pick.

TE's are all over the place on Draft day, so I'm not concerned if Troupe doesn't sign. They'd probably select one in the middle rounds regardless, since he has an injury past.

I still think they'll pick another big 2 gapper DT to backup Stroud. Williams gets pushed around too easily.

We need to get Losman moved and find a Vet backup, prior to the Draft.

Center will be hard to find, now and on Draft Day. Might have to pick a big Guard who has played some Center. The natural ones are all too small.

kernowboy
03-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Overall I see this

CB - with prices so high in FA, this may be a high draft pick - Dominique Rogers-Cromartie?

TE - if we sign Troupe that will be excellent. I doubt with Royal and maybe also Gaines we'll use a pick on a TE. This might be something like a R4 can go on a DE behind Schobel

WR - Johnson might be too expensive, but I still want Hackett considered as I don't want Bryant getting so much it upsets Evans. Also we should look at big WR at the draft, maybe someone like Adarius Bowman in R3?

DT - an pick like Moore to replace Kyle Williams will give us the best interior in the League -no more FA activity though

C - a draft pick here. The biggest guy is Fernando Velasco at 328lbs who has also played guard as well

RG - I think they're happy with Butler. Another Day2 pick could come in.

QB - nothing will happen until we know what is happening with JP

FB - very disappointing. Email or phone Dan Kreider now

LS - we need to see if we can get a better guy than Neill

jmb1099
03-02-2008, 08:10 AM
I wonder if the rumors about Losman being in Detroit have any merit. That still doesn't address our QB needs, but it may our WR need.

Meathead
03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
ralph is cheap

LifetimeBillsFan
03-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I think that whoever the Bills get now in free agency will be a "stop-gap" or role player.

Troupe has the talent to be a big-time threat at TE, but he has had health issues so there will be a risk there, even if he fulfills the promise that he had coming into the league and seemed on the verge of fulfilling before he got hurt. The Bills will probably still want to bring in a TE in the draft, even if they sign him, but can wait until Round 3-4 to get one if they sign him.

I'm not a big fan of Johnson--I prefer Hackett--and don't want the Bills to spend a lot to get him. Even if they sign him, I still think that they go for a WR early in the draft if they get him, but can wait until Round 2 if they get him or Hackett.

BTW: Johnson and Troupe have the same agent, so having them in Buffalo at the same time makes sense.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but I do NOT believe the Bills will be signing a center in free agency. They may draft one now, maybe. But, I think that they are a lot happier with Fowler than the fans are and, more importantly, they want to start to establish some kind of continuity on their offensive line--which they have not had in a VERY long time--which many coaches feel is the key to an offensive line's success. They may draft a center to groom as Fowler's replacement once he learns the system and has a chance to work with some of their starters in practice, but I think the odds of them bringing in one in free agency are very, very slim.

The same goes for right guard. I think they like Brad Butler a lot and want to give him a chance to develop and establish himself. The guy has only been a starter fro a season and didn't even get to work with the other starters before the season began, so they are going to give him a chance to get settled in at the position before they start thinking about replacing him.

If the Bills do bring in an offensive lineman in free agency, it will probably be a guy who can challenge for a back-up spot who isn't very expensive--but I see that more likely being an OT who can challenge Chambers than an interior lineman. They will probably also draft a guy that they might be able to develop as well.

I can see them possibly bringing in a lower-tier free agent at CB to add depth, but I have a feeling that they will be looking to the draft for a CB instead. They know that they can get by with McGee and Greer as starters and that Youboty can contribute now as well. They've expressed some interest in Webster again, but probably won't want to pay what he will want, if he is looking for starter money. They may be willing to give another guy a shot to insure that they have sufficient depth, but won't want to invest too much if they intend to draft a CB with one of their first three picks in the draft.

They may bring in a veteran QB, but may wait until later, when the prices come down and the guys get more desperate. And, they have a chance to see what is going to happen to Losman. There are still some guys that are out there that could really help them as a back-up at QB, but they can't even think of making a move on them if they still have Losman on their books.

And, don't underestimate that: the money that the Bills have tied up in Losman could have a big impact on what they do at that position and perhaps even somewhere else.

DE is a position that, if they aren't going to (or aren't able to) make a big move at in the draft, the Bills could look to add someone at later on in free agency. There isn't a lot out there that doesn't come with big concerns, so, with Spencer Johnson able to take some snaps at DE, they may not be inclined to spend big money there until they see what they can do there in the draft. And, they may not think that they will have to do much other than bring in a pass-rushing DE who needs some time to develop in the 4th or 5th round of the draft in any event with the people that they already have now.

I don't think that they are going to do anything much at FB--D.Barnes isn't as bad a blocker as some seem to think and, if that's all they want their FB to do, I don't think they will go out of their way to get someone better than him, let alone pay big money (as in for Neal or Richardson) to do so. The kid from Atlanta would be a back-up and primarily a big STs addition (if you're letting Stamer, Haggan, Wire and Aiken go, you have to bring in someone who can be a leader on STs and this guy is one).

IMHO, what they do at TE and # 2 WR in free agency--be it today or over the next week--will pretty much determine what, if anything else, they may do in the rest of free agency. With Stroud, Mitchell and S>Johnson coming in, I'm not expecting them to do a whole lot more: a TE like Troupe and maybe a # 2 WR, if he isn't too expensive, would be it. And, if they can't get a # 2 WR at a reasonable price, they can go after a slightly better CB and take their chances with J.Reed starting opposite Evans until their rookie WR beats him out for the starting job (it only took Evans half a season to do that when he was drafted).