PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Gray any good as a cooridnator?

Novacane
08-24-2002, 08:56 AM
I have heard a lot of bragging about this guy in the media and some even say he will be a head coach in this league. He has showed no more than Mike Sheppard did IMO.

BambinoSux
08-24-2002, 09:43 AM
Well, come on that's a little insulting isn't it. I think everybody on this board could have coached better than Sheppard. He was pathetic. I think it was obvious that the defense was much better than the offense last year. Of course, they had more talent too but that's beside the point. If anything, we can say he owns the "Champs", because they scored like one TD in two games against us. And I think half the sacks we got as a team last year came against the Pats.

Seriously though, I think he's a pretty good coach.

Novacane
08-24-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BambinoSux
I think it was obvious that the defense was much better than the offense last year.

Huh? Giving up 26+ points a game and they were our strength? I don't know about that. I think the O and D sucked equally last season.

WG
08-25-2002, 06:17 AM
In any event, much like last year, I don't think it's particularly fair for Gray to take all the heat for the play of the D when he's been dealt a bowl full of crap!

TD and the mgt. didn't do jack to help him beef up the DL. While I'll side w/ most football strategists in that the two lines is where you establish the success of your team first and foremost, apparently our Mgt. thinks differently.

But our woes on D this season will be primarily b/c we cannot stop the run and that will spill over, very quickly, into other aspects of our defensive play. We'll be down early due to teams running the ball down our throats, then they'll try and run out the clock by running, then they'll hit on big plays passing b/c we'll need to devote our front 7 to stopping the run in order to get the ball back w/ some time to do something.

Gray cannot be held accountable for not being able to do anything w/ 1 and a half bonafide starters on the DL. It just wouldn't be fair. He may be made the scapegoat at season's end, but it won't be entirely his fault.

DraftBoy
08-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Actually from what i have heard is that he may be in line to take GW job next season. He is a good coach, a good accesor of talent, and a great player developer. I really liked him over GW for the job to begin with. If you are to blame anyone for not beefing up the line blame GW, he was the one who said he wanted to be more offensively dangerous and TD helped him out there.

casdhf
08-25-2002, 06:58 PM
He needs talent ro be successful...we don't have that on defense

Bufftp
08-25-2002, 08:37 PM
I think the book on Grey is still out?

Rebecky
08-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Gray coached the secondary at TN -- Schwartz, now DC at TN, coached the linesmen. I'm not sure how much input GW had there -- from what I read in local rags (I live in TN) and heard on the rumor mill, very little. Apparently GW was little more than a flunkie for the REAL Titans DC, Jeff Fisher, during GW's tenure in TN. Fisher was clearly grooming Schwartz to take over as DC as far back as 1999. I've never really heard much about Gray.

TigerJ
08-25-2002, 11:41 PM
I think the problem is and has been on defense that the Bills don't have enough good horses up front. They have no first round draft choices on the defensive line. They got lucky that Pat Williams developed from a rookie free agent to a decent player. Denny and Schobel are the only second round picks that play on the defensive line. Moreover there are no premium veteran free agentsWhen you don't have enough high picks on either defensive or offensive line, you eventually pay a price. The Bill has come due and the Bills are going to have to start drafting defensive linemen high. Though some second rounders are ready to start their first year(Schobel) some are not (Denney?).Fortunately, The Bills appear to have gotten lucky with Jennings and Sullivan (cross your fingers). They've got a 12 year stud in Mike Williams. They are reasonably talented (on paper at least) at most other positions. That means they can afford to focus on the D-line in the next couple of drafts. Moreover, they'll have cap dollars to spend on a premium veteran free agent defensive lineman if TD is willing. I'm not ready to blame Jerry Gray for this. It's a personnel issue.