PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: If the Bills want to keep Evans then get ready to pay big time !!!!

YardRat
03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Forked from: If the Bills want to keep Evans then get ready to pay big time !!!! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2354735)

$8 million/year with $16-18 million guaranteed <------prediction

Just to go a little off topic with an observation...Pretty hard to believe that just a scant 20-25 years ago, around the time the USFL got kick-started, the average salary for the players in the NFL was 125k per year.

We're throwing around numbers today for individual players that would have not only paid for an entire roster, but coaching staff, management, and on and on around the time Jim Kelly came out of Miami.

Incredible.

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I think Evans is looking between 8-9 million a year

B-DON
03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
And he will easily get that from someone else if we dont pay him

Mr. Pink
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM

I think he can keep looking with those type of delusional thoughts.

If he was on the open market this year, no way would he get between 8-9 million from anyone. More like 5-7 million.

YardRat
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
16 to 18 million guaranteed, per clump's prediction, for one player.

At 125k per, 60 guys would cost you 7-1/2 million dollars....Total...for the entire team.

Kind of boggles the mind.

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
16 to 18 million gauranteed, per clump's prediction, for one player.

At 125k per, 60 guys would cost you 7-1/2 million dollars....Total...for the entire team.

Kind of boggles the mind.

I guess being young, it doesnt really surprise me. Its human nature to always want more so as time went along and money and wealth became more readily available this was bound to happen. Simply the way we are all made.

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I think he can keep looking with those type of delusional thoughts.

If he was on the open market this year, no way would he get between 8-9 million from anyone. More like 5-7 million.

I disagree with you, Jerry Porter got what 5-6 a year? Evans easily eclipses that

Mr. Pink
03-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I disagree with you, Jerry Porter got what 5-6 a year? Evans easily eclipses that

In a what have you done for me lately driven league what did Evans do last year to distinguish himself from the Bernard Berrians and Donte Stallworth's of the league?

He'd get a contract similiar to them on the open market.

Now if he puts up an 80 catch 1200 yard 10 TD year next year, then yeah I can see him getting around 9 million a season. However, he didn't have a very productive season last year and at times completely disappeared in games.

DraftBoy
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
In a what have you done for me lately driven league what did Evans do last year to distinguish himself from the Bernard Berrians and Donte Stallworth's of the league?

He'd get a contract similiar to them on the open market.

Now if he puts up an 80 catch 1200 yard 10 TD year next year, then yeah I can see him getting around 9 million a season. However, he didn't have a very productive season last year and at times completely disappeared in games.

You know he's going to say it was instability at the QB posistion. Year before with JP all year he had 82 catches, 1292 yards, and 8 TDs. So that will be his justification and in his defense he has a good point.

colin
03-02-2008, 08:40 PM
with a decent guarantee and some incentives we should be able to sign evans to a deal that suits both team and player.

if we draft a wr and TE in 2nd and 3rd (or 4th if possible) then we might just end up having a pretty friggen good O!

feldspar
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
What makes anyone think that Evans is worth $8 million a year?

He's had one season over 1,000 yards.

He's been in the NFL for 4 years.

His receptions for each year have been 48, 48, 82, and 56.

His yardage for each year has been 843, 743, 1292, and 849.

These numbers aren't great.

I'm not saying that it's all his fault or that he doesn't deserve a big payday, but $8 million a year is ridiculous...it's too much.

justasportsfan
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
You know he's going to say it was instability at the QB posistion. Year before with JP all year he had 82 catches, 1292 yards, and 8 TDs. So that will be his justification and in his defense he has a good point.

some people forget that.

BTw, he can also blame it on the scheme and the playcalling and he would be justified.

Typ0
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
some people forget that.

BTw, he can also blame it on the scheme and the playcalling and he
would be justified.

how do those things equate to his never drawing double coverage last season? We had a lot of challenges on offense last year and he didn't step up and help things get better. He will get that money but I hope it's not from us.

feldspar
03-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Sure it is, and the powers that be are smart enough to take that under consideration.

But at the same time, this will, at least in part, be seen as a copout.

"Our #1 receiver hasn't exactly been producing up to level we'd like, and he blames it on something other than himself. He shouldn't take resposibility for his own actions because it's someone else's fault."

That only goes so far. Nobody likes a whiner or someone who scapegoats his own teammates for his own benefit.

The bottom line is what he has done, not what someone else hasn't done. It's conjecture, anyway.

The bottom line is that he has had one good year, and if we pay him astronomical amounts of money, that will be based on potential and hope of a repeat performance that may or may not come.

Don't get me wrong; I like Evans. But if they are even thinking of paying him up there with the big boys, his deal should be laced with incentives. He definately hasn't proven that he can perform consistantly, and he shouldn't be considered a top 10 receiver in this league at this point. Not close, really.

justasportsfan
03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
how do those things equate to his never drawing double coverage last season? We had a lot of challenges on offense last year and he didn't step up and help things get better. He will get that money but I hope it's not from us.
He can't fight a failing scheme to go with a qb carousel by himself. Even Steve Smith would've failed here last year.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Pay the man, he will be much better this season with a few weapons on offense taking some pressure off of him. If he won't sign now, then he probably won't sign next year and we will lose him, unless we tag him, then we certainly will lose him the following year. If he won't sign we might want to try to trade him.

I love Evans. I think he is a great reciever who has never really been surrounded by a group like he will be surrounded by this year but we can't allow him to leave and not get anything in return if he won't re-sign.

njsue
03-03-2008, 04:43 AM
He is a great WR who is worth the $$$$.

Night Train
03-03-2008, 04:53 AM
Going by Berrians contract, Lee may get 6 years, 45-50 Mil, which includes a signing bonus upfront and backloaded for the last 2 years.

It will look bigger than it really is but he'll take it.

Captain gameboy
03-03-2008, 05:37 AM
The conflict about his value is exactly why I am so excited about Lee this year.
For whatever reason, he had a bump in the road last year.

Lots of instability at QB, and a rookie who wasn't into waiting for a play to develop before dumping to a checkdown.

But...Lee dropped a 'tween the numbers pass that might have gone for a touchdown against the Redskins all on his own, at a crucial time.

So, it all adds up to him knowing he's playing this season as an audition for his greatest payday.

Not a bad situation for us.

He's got to do what he's got to do before the FO has to do much about him.

kernowboy
03-03-2008, 05:45 AM
We need to compare his figures with Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams who entered the league in the same 2004 draft.

Fitzgerald has been outstanding, but Evans figures are not too far away from Williams.

Whilst Williams had faster track speed, Evans is the quickest on the field of play and this speed has a contributory factor on his salary - even if he is not making receptions, in a decent offence, he is creating space for others and this will be factored in to his salary.

At the end of the 2008 season I think the following will happen

1) Evans will get the franchise tag
2) Crowell will sign elsewhere - he has had injuries and this will be a consideration if he asks for too much.
3) We will draft someone like Sean Lee or Brian Cushing in R1 of the 2009 draft to replace Crowell.