PDA

View Full Version : Calling all capologists....

yordad
03-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Please help: Clump, Ebs, and others... Am I reading this right? Seems to me we have a lot more money... http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

Now, I'm not a cap guru, so these are questions.

How would a 5 year, 17.5 million with 5 million guaranteed effect this years cap (Mitchell)? 7.5 Million this year?

How would 16.5 million over three years, restructured so a good portion is in the first year effect the cap (Stroud)? 8 Million this year?

How would a 17.5 million, 5 year with 6 guaranteed effect it (Spencer Johnson)? 8.3 million against it this year?

Now, I am probably not right, but 58 mil - 7.5 mil - 8 mil - 8.3 mil = 34.2 million left.

Now, I think I read somewhere speculating Johnson wanted 5-6 million per w 10 million guaranteed. How would signing him effect our situation? Would that be like 14 million against the cap for this year? Would that leave us with 20ish million? Is that enough to extend Lee? Crowell? Sign rookies? Account for in season injuries? Or, am I way off?

I am no capologists, but I am trying to learn here. I'm sure I'm not the only clueless one. Any help or explanation would be appreciated.

yordad
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess I need a flashier title.

RedEyE
03-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Might want to take your question to the Cap forum.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/forumdisplay.php?f=3

clumping platelets
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I saw this earlier, I just didn't have time to address it

I'm working on something...........get back to it later today :D

Ebenezer
03-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Please help: Clump, Ebs, and others... Am I reading this right? Seems to me we have a lot more money... http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/02/24/billszones_2008_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php

Now, I'm not a cap guru, so these are questions.

How would a 5 year, 17.5 million with 5 million guaranteed effect this years cap (Mitchell)? 7.5 Million this year?

How would 16.5 million over three years, restructured so a good portion is in the first year effect the cap (Stroud)? 8 Million this year?

How would a 17.5 million, 5 year with 6 guaranteed effect it (Spencer Johnson)? 8.3 million against it this year?

Now, I am probably not right, but 58 mil - 7.5 mil - 8 mil - 8.3 mil = 34.2 million left.

Now, I think I read somewhere speculating Johnson wanted 5-6 million per w 10 million guaranteed. How would signing him effect our situation? Would that be like 14 million against the cap for this year? Would that leave us with 20ish million? Is that enough to extend Lee? Crowell? Sign rookies? Account for in season injuries? Or, am I way off?

I am no capologists, but I am trying to learn here. I'm sure I'm not the only clueless one. Any help or explanation would be appreciated.
love to help but I am just too busy right now...clumpy will come up with something.

cba fan
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Can't give an answer unless we know the exact dollar figures of each year, the sign bonus total, and, when the sign bonus, if not all due at signing, is due to be paid.

One example I can give is the following:

20 million dollar 5 year contract which includes 10 million sign bonus due at signing and salaries of .5 million 1.5 million 2 million 3 million and 3 million.

Sign bonus is prorated for 5 years so is a cap hit of 2 million each year.
cap hit yr 1-5 is 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5, and 5 million.

If cut, the outstanding prorated portion of the sign bonus accelerates for cap purposes to the year he is cut otherwise sign bonus continues to be prorated for the duration.

Players gets sign bonus upfront and when they complain their contract is below market value when they get to later years in the contract they will continue to refer to their base salary as the reason why, forgetting that the sign bonus is actually worth more than 10 million as it was paid up front and does not decrease every year due to inflation.

The Bulls Scottie Pippen was the worst offender of this before the NBA CBA outlawed renegotiations of contracts.

Hope that helps. Sorry can't help with Bills new signings.

yordad
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Can't give an answer unless we know the exact dollar figures of each year, the sign bonus total, and, when the sign bonus, if not all due at signing, is due to be paid.

One example I can give is the following:

20 million dollar 5 year contract which includes 10 million sign bonus due at signing and salaries of .5 million 1.5 million 2 million 3 million and 3 million.

Sign bonus is prorated for 5 years so is a cap hit of 2 million each year.
cap hit yr 1-5 is 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5, and 5 million.

If cut, the outstanding prorated portion of the sign bonus accelerates for cap purposes to the year he is cut otherwise sign bonus continues to be prorated for the duration.

Players gets sign bonus upfront and when they complain their contract is below market value when they get to later years in the contract they will continue to refer to their base salary as the reason why, forgetting that the sign bonus is actually worth more than 10 million as it was paid up front and does not decrease every year due to inflation.

The Bulls Scottie Pippen was the worst offender of this before the NBA CBA outlawed renegotiations of contracts.

Hope that helps. Sorry can't help with Bills new signings.Thanks, but I think you neglected the Bills cap policy. And, I was looking for a best guess.

cba fan
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Bills cash to crap policy works like this:

All money when leaving Bills team hands and going into players hands is immediately counted as that years team cash to crap policy allotted budget amount.

The team allotted max amount is presumably the NFL salary cap limit. 2008 it is 116 million.

Therefore, Bills can never spend more in actual dollars in any given year than NFL salary cap max.

For example. Reports showed the Bills at approx 32 to 40 million under this years cap. That means if they gave in to Stroud's presumed reported request for a new contract with 20 million signing bonus, cash to crap policy would have counted all that for this year even though for NFL cap purposes only the prorated amount of 4 million would count towards the cap if it was a 5 yr deal. This would have meant the Bills would have been pretty much done in free agency for this year as they already signed Mitchell and Spencer and need to hold money for draft picks and injuries. Also could have meant they may have had to cut other players to keep the three they already signed in FA to stay within the cash to crap policy or even would have had to cut Mitchell or Spencer. Needless to say Johnson would not be visiting the Bills either in that scenario.

Only good thing about cash to crap is since the Bills account for sign bonus money in year one they can cut players later in contract with no worry about salary cap hit as they will be below the NFL salary cap by large amounts all the time and cash to crap already has accounted for the money in a year long gone. They can then spend the players salary they just cut on a replacement player immediately. No cap jail for cash to crap teams. That is the only good thing.

So again, we can only tell what the cash to crap policy hits are if we know the exact salaries, sign bonus, and sign bonus pay dates. When you get that you can then fiqure it out with the 32 to 40 million dollar under the NFL cap aproximation we do know the Bills were at before FA period.