PDA

View Full Version : Falcons land Turner; now they need Losman

RedEyE
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=369894
:rofl:
Falcons land Turner; now they need Losman

...That was the third part of my plan: Go for a "young veteran" who has had some success rather than gambling on a high first-rounder such as Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm. Besides, with Turner already signed, the Falcons could use their first-round pick to help their defense.

The man I suggested they go after is still out there, being dangled as trade bait by his current team. The Bills probably would part with J.P. Losman for something like a third-round draft pick. Compare that cost with what the rookie salary structure would make the Falcons pay Ryan or Brohm.

I've been a Losman fan since I saw him at the Senior Bowl four years ago, and I still think he can eventually be right there with the other three quarterbacks drafted in the first round of 2004: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger.

Losman, although not Vick-like, is a fine athlete with good mobility. Despite a pretty good '06 season that proved he could be a full-time starter in the NFL, he fell out of favor quickly in Buffalo. Last season, rookie Trent Edwards looked more like the quarterback Dick Jauron desired.

Losman's weaknesses are his erratic play and decision-making, but just as he was improving in those areas, the turf was pulled out from underneath him.
The Dolphins and the Chiefs figure to be the Falcons' foremost rivals for Losman's services. Like Atlanta, those teams might prefer to obtain a talented quarterback with starting experience instead of a pricey and unknown quarterback available early in the first round.
Although it wasn't how I drew it up, the Falcons did well to come away with Smith as their coach and Turner as their running back. As for that third stage of my Falcons' revival plan, Losman remains their best option.

RedEyE
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
What I find ironic about all of this is that Bills fans had been asking to trade for Matt Schaub years ago. The Falcons had their QB of the future and let him slip away. Now they want sloppy seconds on Losman. Good luck man!

mikemac2001
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
i think its ironic we almost got turner so it could have been turner and losman in buffalo now it might be that in atl

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
What I find ironic about all of this is that Bills fans had been asking to trade for Matt Schaub years ago. The Falcons had their QB of the future and let him slip away. Now they want sloppy seconds on Losman. Good luck man!

I'd rather have the Fins pick, their 3rd rounder is as good as a late 2nd.

RedEyE
03-03-2008, 12:42 PM
i think its ironic we almost got turner so it could have been turner and losman in buffalo now it might be that in atl

True. I think Truner is a good fit for Atlanta but they're really diggin if they're a serious about Losman. Atlanta might have one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

RedEyE
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd rather not trade within the division. Especially a QB that knows the system and could reveal quite a bit more than Buffalo might like. Losman is smart and knows the system, he just doens't have all the tangibles to perform.

justasportsfan
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd pull the plug on a 3rd for the chiefs and the falcons and pray that TE is the future. As for the fins- screw it, nothing less than a 2nd.

I'll keep JP as a back up for anything less than a 3rd. He's insurance in case Trent fails or gets hurt.

Michael82
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
That right there is why im worried about getting rid of JP. :nervous:

DraftBoy
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM

and two picks later isnt just as good?

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Real great values can be had in the 3rd round, like our new starting QB for example.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2008, 12:54 PM

It is not just as good because there are two picks in between. So it, is like a little worse.

mikemac2001
03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
It is not just as good because there are two picks in between. So it, is like a little worse.

Id go down two spots to keep him in NFC

DraftBoy
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Yea but to say the #1 pick in the 3rd is like a late 2nd, but yet the #3 pick isnt? Splitting hairs, dont ya think?

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Yea but to say the #1 pick in the 3rd is like a late 2nd, but yet the #3 pick isnt? Splitting hairs, dont ya think?

Absolutely.

Two picks ain't much. It was more sarcasm.

Of course with the Bills luck, they would have a guy targetted and he would be snagged right away.

acehole
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd pull the plug on a 3rd for the chiefs and the falcons and pray that TE is the future. As for the fins- screw it, nothing less than a 2nd.

I'll keep JP as a back up for anything less than a 3rd. He's insurance in case Trent fails or gets hurt.

It is nice to see a reporter outside of Buffalo regonize this. I think he is right on the money. I know it is popular to bash the guy but I dont think he is as good as he will ever be. Having said all the the smart money is on Buffalo to keep him...as he is under contract, cheap and know Fairchild was a tool... ad that the qb POSITION needed help. Why else would they be going after the TE from tenny and B JOHNSON WR? They know JP was not the whole problem with this team.

Saratoga Slim
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM

The Fins just signed Josh McCown, and have Beck on the roster still. They're not going to trade us a 3rd rounder for Losman.

I think McCown might actually end up being a good signing for them. I've always thought he had potential.

YardRat
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Losman's weaknesses are his erratic play and decision-making, but just as he was improving in those areas, the turf was pulled out from underneath him.

Losman is smart

I'm not quite sure which comment is funnier. A little help, please?

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not quite sure which comment is funnier. A little help, please?

Heads or tails it's still funny.