PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Looking Good on the Bryant Johnson Front

raphael120
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I think he is going to end up going to Washington afterall...

<table style="border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(0, 45, 120);" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">Today
</td> <td align="right">Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:28 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3062)

</td> </tr></tbody></table> JOHNSON SPEAKING WITH MEDIA: Johnson is speaking with the media in just a few minutes, but it doesn't appear like it's going to be any signing announcement. He's speaking in an auxiliary press room, not in front of any Bills backdrops or anything. We'll have details if he's says anything new about his visit later. ---

Seems like he's probably done talking with people and if Washington wants him that bad, guess what, theyre probably going to get him. Theyre probably going to pay an insane amount and totally outbid the Bills...that's really too bad though...looks like we're going to have to pick up a dude in the draft.

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
but yesterday we had Bryant Johnson rep threads... How could this be ????

could it be The Internet !

when will people learn

The King
03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
He'd be stupid to not hear WAS offer. They over spent on Patten, Randel El, Thrash and Caldwell.

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
He'd be stupid to not hear WAS offer. They over spent on Patten, Randel El, Thrash and Caldwell.

I'd go if I was him, it isn't like you cannot fly anywhere out of washington direct.

mysticsoto
03-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I hate to say this, but I kind of hope he does leave for Washington. I really rather DJ Hackett. Nothing against Johnson personally, but I think Hackett is better, if more risky. With the WR depth in this draft, I prefer to take the risk and also grab a pair of good prospects in the draft one in the 2nd and one at the end of the day that is raw but worth giving an opportunity. With the good quality depth in this year's rd, I could see 40+ WRs going in this year's draft.

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
he probably asked for an assload of money like his agent said, and the bills decided that a 3rd wr who couldnt produce given multiple chances (39 to be exact) was not worth the 5-6 million per year and 8-10 mill up front.

let him walk. no big loss.

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I hate to say this, but I kind of hope he does leave for Washington. I really rather DJ Hackett. Nothing against Johnson personally, but I think Hackett is better, if more risky. With the WR depth in this draft, I prefer to take the risk and also grab a pair of good prospects in the draft one in the 2nd and one at the end of the day that is raw but worth giving an opportunity. With the good quality depth in this year's rd, I could see 40+ WRs going in this year's draft.

agreed.

BILLSROCK1212
03-03-2008, 02:02 PM
if i'm not mistaken his family lives in Baltimore so Washington could be very good option for him

DraftBoy
03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh well, cant get them all...bring on Hackett!

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Nothing's done until they say it's over.

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
:bf1: It's Limas Sweed time.

madness
03-03-2008, 02:07 PM
:mad:

The Spaz
03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
JOHNSON HOPING FOR DEAL WITH BILLS: dAs if his comments to me earlier in the day weren't enough of an indication as to whether he wants to be here, he reiterated those comments to the general media here this afternoon about wanting to play for Buffalo.

"Buffalo is a young team that is definitely on the right track and I definitely think I can be a big part of them moving towards the future," said Johnson. "I definitely would like to be a Buffalo Bill."

Johnson says he has other visits planned, but stated he's hoping there aren't any more.

"I definitely think I'd fit in good with the Bills. I have a few, but hopefully I won't have to take any more visits after I leave here," Johnson said. "My agent is going to talk with them and hopefully we can work something out and make both of us happy. I'm optimistic. I want both parties to be happy."

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

raphael120
03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
For the amount of money all these other schmo WR's have been getting (Berrian, Porter, etc...) I'd rather draft a WR, it'd be cheaper in the long run...plus we're trying to sign Evans long term and I think for as much money as we're paying Parrish and Reed right now, just going ahead and drafting a WR with our first round makes sense, money wise at least.

madness
03-03-2008, 02:10 PM
"I definitely think I'd fit in good with the Bills. I have a few, but hopefully I won't have to take any more visits after I leave here," Johnson said. "My agent is going to talk with them and hopefully we can work something out and make both of us happy. I'm optimistic. I want both parties to be happy."

Then don't leave jackass.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe I am reading to much into his words but it seems to me the Johson wants to be here. I think he is going to Washington because he agreed to do so, he will go to Washington to keep his word and then sign with Buffalo. Just a hunch!

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Then don't leave jackass.

if he leaves, he may also (hopefully) find out the money is not as good as he thinks it is.. but in all likelyhood, washington will overpay, which is fine.

anyone know how much his rookie deal was worth?

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 02:16 PM
if he leaves, he may also (hopefully) find out the money is not as good as he thinks it is.. but in all likelyhood, washington will overpay, which is fine.

Less than he is going to make now.

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Less than he is going to make now.

well, he was a first round bust.. i was just wondering how much his first round contract paid him.

Michael82
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe I am reading to much into his words but it seems to me the Johson wants to be here. I think he is going to Washington because he agreed to do so, he will go to Washington to keep his word and then sign with Buffalo. Just a hunch!
I hope your right. :pray:

The Spaz
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I hope your right. :pray:

:pray:

Ickybaluky
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM

He was the 17th overall pick in 2003:

5 Years/$6,420,500.

Signing bonus: $1,850,000.

2004 Option Bonus: $1,775,000

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
thanks NE.. i looked and couldnt find anything.. so he really didnt make much on his first deal.. good to know.

Tatonka
that is about what he is worth now.. lol

jdbillsfan
He was the 17th overall pick in 2003:

5 Years/$6,420,500.

Signing bonus: $1,850,000.

2004 Option Bonus: $1,775,000

NE39, just wanted to see what your take is on Johnson? You seem to have pretty good knowledge of players around the league.

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/AroundtheNFL/2008/03/bryant_johnson_to_the_bills.html

Bryant Johnson to the Bills?
He's at the team's facility now and will be made available to the media here in a couple hours. As the past few days have shown us, when a team makes a "free agent" available he usually is signing with the team that day. Expect a deal to get done here in a matter of moments. You draftniks might want to rethink that 11th pick, though I suppose I could see them still going Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed.

W1DER1GHT
03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Let's face it, if he goes to Washington for a visit Snyder will make sure he's a Redskin.

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Let's face it, if he goes to Washington for a visit Snyder will make sure he's a Redskin.
That's not necessarily true....

T-Long
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
What are you guys talking about? The Redskins have NO money to spend at all! If they are going to sign Johnson, then they are going to have cut some guys. They just gave Todd freaking Collins a 9 million dollar deal. They have no money left to make a legitimate push for Johnson. If they do, I'd be very surprised.

W1DER1GHT
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
That's not necessarily true....

I guess only time will tell. Just based on Snyders history, I think it could very well happpen.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I guess only time will tell. Just based on Snyders history, I think it could very well happpen.

More waiting
:pissed:

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
True but based on our recent history we seem to get whoever we want. I honestly don't see how Snyder can justify it when he is already so deep at WR and has that much money invested. Although they did just cut Lloyd so maybe he was making room?

Ickybaluky
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
NE39, just wanted to see what your take is on Johnson? You seem to have pretty good knowledge of players around the league.

I always liked the guy, although I was a little disappointed that he didn't step it up more last year because he got more playing time than he had in the past. He is a big, strong, athletic kid who I thought was something of a sleeper after 2006. He averaged 18.5 yds/catch and seemed to be coming into his own.

Last year his numbers fell off, and part of that might be due to the change in offense after Denny Green left. I don't ever think he will be a guy who catches a lot of passes, but he can make plays downfield with his size and athleticism. I think he needs to play in a more open offense that lets him get downfield, not so much a controlled passing game. He had 4 drops last year, but I don't think his hands are bad. I think it is more of a case of his losing concentration.

ricogarion
03-03-2008, 02:39 PM
In his interview today he said he likes it here and hopes to be here.If the Bills want him they will get it done.I feek that good about the situation.:dance:

mysticsoto
03-03-2008, 02:41 PM

I can translate for you...

He says: "I really want to be a Buffalo Bill"
What he's trying to say: "Show me da money!"

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I can translate for you...

What he's trying to say: "Show me da money!"

Skooby edit:

What he's trying to say: "Show me more Bills!"

Lone Stranger
03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Boy, we love this guy if we can sign him but he's crap if we don't. Come on let's be fair.

Night Train
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Maybe but didn't we read 20 last rites threads on the Stroud failure Saturday morning ?

SABuffalo786
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Um...so how do the Skins have the cap room to sign him?

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Boy, we love this guy if we can sign him but he's crap if we don't. Come on let's be fair.

Rejection is a hurtful subject.

Michael82
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe but didn't we read 20 last rites thread on the Stroud failure Saturday morning ?
Good point. It's not over, til it's over. And right now, I stand by my original prediction. The Bills won't let him leave and will sign him to a contract by tonight.... :pray:

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Good point. It's not over, til it's over. And right now, I stand by my original prediction. The Bills won't let him leave and will sign him to a contract by tonight.... :pray: :pray:

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 02:58 PM

If we can sign him to a fair deal with incentives then hell yes

but if we pay him big bucks straight up we're setting ourselves up. Bryant is a solid FA pickup with potential. We need to structure a contract that demonstrates this.

Bryant may want guarentees that exceed what we'd be willing to pay. Incentives should be used to get him here. If he catched 60, makes a probowl, averages 10 yds/catch, starts 90% of our games etc...

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
If you go over to the video archive on the Arizona Cardinals website and watch the Point After w/ Bryant Johnson he says he just wants a chance to play and prove himself.

Why sign with the Redskins when the are relatively deep at the WR position, he will just find himself in the same situation as he was in Arizona. If it is true that he wants to play he will be a Buffalo Bill.

acehole
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM

I agree with Hacket...I think he is the complete package. that package will cost $$ though...

Mitchy moo
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I agree with Hacket...I think he is the complete package. that package will cost $$ though...

Can't be much more than the ~$6 M than BJ wants.

bigbub2352
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Sometimes u gotta over pay a little, in the wake of our other FAs who we didnt over pay for, maybe him or hackett are the guyz we need to give a little extra for, i got a feeling about Johnson, i would really like this to be a done deal

acehole
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Can't be much more than the ~$6 M than BJ wants.

6M for a bj is steep.....but I would rather have a BJ then a DJ all thing being equal.

Bert102176
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
y the hell would u wanna take a chance on Hackett he has proven nothing but that he can't stay healty Johnson hasn't really had a chance to be a starter cause he has been stuck behind 2 of the best WR's in the NFL

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
6M for a bj is steep.....

It would have to be an ever-lasting BJ at that price

TigerJ
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Pluses for signing with the Bills: It looks like the team finally has some stability and is being built the right way. They have the personnel in place to make a solid run for the playoffs. There is as much of a sense of team comeraderie (sp?) as there is in the league (IMHO).

Plusses for signing with Washington: $$$, close to his home town of Baltimore as per his interview with Chris Brown.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If you all remember we all did this with Troy Vincent also. The Bills gave Vincent an offer he left town without signing went to Cincy got an offer from the Bengals went home talked it over with his wife and decided to sign with the Bills.

raphael120
03-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If you go over to the video archive on the Arizona Cardinals website and watch the Point After w/ Bryant Johnson he says he just wants a chance to play and prove himself.

Why sign with the Redskins when the are relatively deep at the WR position, he will just find himself in the same situation as he was in Arizona. If it is true that he wants to play he will be a Buffalo Bill.
the redskins are NOT deep at reciever.

santana moss isn't even that reliable. he scored 3 times

tell me who on that team is worth anything? randel el only had 1 TD last year.

do some research and you'll find your statement is completely false.

if johnson went to washington, he'd be starting along side Moss

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
the redskins are NOT deep at reciever.

santana moss isn't even that reliable.

tell me who on that team is worth anything? i think randel el only had 1 TD last year.

do some research and you'll find your statement is completely false.

if johnson went to washington, he'd be starting along side Moss

If you read my post, I said relatively deep, meaning that they are deeper then the bills at the WR position. You may want to learn how to read before accusing me of not researching before posting.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Santana Moss, Antwaan Randel El, James Thrash, Reche Caldwell, Keenan McCardell

That pretty deep if you ask me. I don't think Johnson takes the #2 spot from Randel El either.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM

That pretty deep if you ask me. I don't think Johnson takes the #2 spot from Randel El either.

I don't see that as deep.

Caldwell and McCardell are FA. Currently, their 3rd WR is Thrash and their 4th WR is Shaun Bodiford.

I love Randle El, but he is a classic slot guy, a 3rd WR/Return man. He is more quickness than speed, and isn't very big. Moss is a great player when healthy, but he is perpetually nagged by injury.

I don't know how far the 'skins will extend themselves for Johnson, but they do need help at WR.

raphael120
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Yeah, Randel El's Josh Reed-like statistics are pretty impressive.

james thrash is a bum, caldwell is a non factor, and McCardell is just about to recieve his AARP card.

If you think Bryant Johnson is worse than Randel El then you either don't think enough of Johnson or think way too highly of Randel El.

honestly both teams WR corps are piss poor. the only thing Washington has up on the Bills is Cooley.

Evans and Moss are pretty much a wash, and I think Randel El is a Parrish special teams guy, situational player.

Oaf
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I'd much rather overpay for Walker than overpay for Hackett. I'd also rather draft a WR to be our #2 than count on Hackett to be it.

Jan Reimers
03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd much rather overpay for Walker than overpay for Hackett. I'd also rather draft a WR to be our #2 than count on Hackett to be it.
I don't think we can count on any of these guys - Johnson, Hackett or Walker - to be our #2. If we sign one of them in free agency, we still need to take a WR high in the draft. If we don't sign any of them, we need to draft two.

X-Era
03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't think we can count on any of these guys - Johnson, Hackett or Walker - to be our #2. If we sign one of them in free agency, we still need to take a WR high in the draft. If we don't sign any of them, we need to draft two.

Apparently Dick went on Sirius and told them that they are very interested in Bryant Johnson and that they hope they get something done.

Anyone hear Jauron on Sirius?

So, Bryant wants to be here and we want him. Thats the news and makes the title to this thread misleading.

YardRat
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Maybe he was just looking for a free plane ticket from Snyder so he could get home and tell his family to start loading up on Bills merchandise.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe he was just looking for a free plane ticket from Snyder so he could get home and tell his family to start loading up on Bills merchandise.

thats an interesting theory, hopefully a true one!

Mitchell55
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I think he is going to end up going to Washington afterall...

Seems like he's probably done talking with people and if Washington wants him that bad, guess what, theyre probably going to get him. Theyre probably going to pay an insane amount and totally outbid the Bills...that's really too bad though...looks like we're going to have to pick up a dude in the draft.

There is no talk going on about them actually wanting him and there arent many fans that want him either. Safe to say, he wont need to ride a plane untill the season starts.

jimbohastle51
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Apparently Dick went on Sirius and told them that they are very interested in Bryant Johnson and that they hope they get something done.

Anyone hear Jauron on Sirius?

So, Bryant wants to be here and we want him. Thats the news and makes the title to this thread misleading.

i heard the sirius interview, and yes jauron did make it seem like the 2 were very much into getting something done. dont forget that we have JP out there though so as much as we all want BJ maybe there is some in the front office trying to work a trade for a reciever?

X-Era
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
There is no talk going on about them actually wanting him and there arent many fans that want him either. Safe to say, he wont need to ride a plane untill the season starts.

Did you hear Jauron on Sirius or not... apparently your wrong

X-Era
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
i heard the sirius interview, and yes jauron did make it seem like the 2 were very much into getting something done. dont forget that we have JP out there though so as much as we all want BJ maybe there is some in the front office trying to work a trade for a reciever?

I have no problem with that except that I just dont know who it would be. Roys not going anywhere, Fitz is working his deal in Arizona.

Oaf
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
If we don't sign him, it's because we don't want him. Simple as that. I think I'll trust the FO's judgement on this one either way.

raphael120
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Well no news is good news I guess. He must still be in Buffalo because no reports are out saying he left or that he went to Washington...remember how everything went silent before the Stroud signing?

jpdex12
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
The BB.com report made it sound like he is still in Buffalo and won't be leaving until tomorrow.

LtFinFan66
03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
If he left Buffalo it doesn't look good. Much like Pace leaving Miami to visit the Jets

raphael120
03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Apparently the Bears also wanted a shot at Johnson, went over to their message boards and they think it's a foregone conclusion that Bryant is going to sign with the Bills.

Let's hope that's the case...

If I was Bryant I'd be thinking that the Bills are a stronger team than the Redskins right now...mainly because their WR corps is worse than ours, and Washington has a new head coach that many of the fans don't care for. I think Johnson may believe he can hit the ground running here, as opposed to being in a whole new system where EVERYONE is learning a new system as opposed to a system where all the players are familiar with it so he'll be able to fit in faster.

YardRat
03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.rnews.com/Sports/TopSports_2004.cfm?cmd=top&ID=58858&rnews_story_type=39&category=3

Johnson wrapped up talks with the Bills Monday. He has plans to visit other NFL teams but claims he wouldn't mind canceling them for a contract with Buffalo.

raphael120
03-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, looks like its down to a matter of his asking price. He wants to be here obviously, I mean...we are the FIRST team for him to visit, says something about who values him the most out of all the teams, maybe he will respect that and cater to the fact that we valued him highly while other teams sat back...

If we get him at a reasonable price, I have no problem with it.

If we don't get him, I'll be fine with that because I'm sure whatever he is asking for won't be worth it and we can easily go ahead and draft a capable WR and also be able to sign Evans long term with the money saved by going the rookie WR route...

If Johnson doesn't give the Bills a reasonable price tag, then peace out ya greedy bastard.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Javon Walker is the ONLY WR available that is worth a lot of money. He is the only legitimate NFL WR. Bryant Johnson has been in the league for 5 years and has shown very little. I know the crop is weak, but do NOT overpay for this guy, he isn't worth it. I'm sure there will be a better WR cut after training camp. I just don't want to see this guy get 5 mil per and do exaclty what he has with the Cardinals in his first 5 years, nothing.

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Javon Walker is the ONLY WR available that is worth a lot of money. He is the only legitimate NFL WR. Bryant Johnson has been in the league for 5 years and has shown very little. I know the crop is weak, but do NOT overpay for this guy, he isn't worth it. I'm sure there will be a better WR cut after training camp. I just don't want to see this guy get 5 mil per and do exaclty what he has with the Cardinals in his first 5 years, nothing.
And even Walker isn't worth a lot of money with his ACL that hasn't healed in two years.

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
All we need from Johnson as a #2 WR is 60 catches a year with some clutch red zone work... He averages 40+ as a 3rd stringer working behind 2 pro bowl recievers. He has started 1/2 their games the past 2 years so if he plays a full 16 as a primary target he can easily net us 60 catches and take heat off of Evans IMO.

He also scores a handful of TD's each year.
He is pretty consistent nabbing at least 1 catch in every game he played last season, and only one game in 2006 without a catch..
he is durable

For a fair price he's worth it IMO

2007 game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantjohnson/gamelogs?id=JOH086211

2006 game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantjohnson/gamelogs?id=JOH086211&season=2006

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
All we need from Johnson as a #2 WR is 60 catches a year with some clutch red zone work... He averages 40+ as a 3rd stringer working behind 2 pro bowl recievers. He has started 1/2 their games the past 2 years so if he plays a full 16 as a primary target he can easily net us 60 catches and take heat off of Evans IMO.

He also scores a handful of TD's each year.
He is pretty consistent nabbing at least 1 catch in every game he played last season, and only one game in 2006 without a catch..
he is durable

For a fair price he's worth it IMO

2007 game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantjohnson/gamelogs?id=JOH086211

2006 game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/bryantjohnson/gamelogs?id=JOH086211&season=2006

I completely agree with you! He doesn't need to come in and be an elite WR, he needs to come in and be a solid WR and take defensive pressure off Evans so the Evans can produce to the level he is capable of.

Michael82
03-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Well no news is good news I guess. He must still be in Buffalo because no reports are out saying he left or that he went to Washington...remember how everything went silent before the Stroud signing?
Good point. The fact that Chris Brown went silent after Johnson's interview and the fact that we havent heard an update makes me think that he is staying overnight in Buffalo tonight, and checking out the night life, while his agent hammers out a deal with Overdorf. It will probably be announced that the Buffalo Bills have signed WR Bryant Johnson to a 5 year deal worth $25 million, around 2:30pm today. That's my guess. :up:

Al the Bills Fan
03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Good point. The fact that Chris Brown went silent after Johnson's interview and the fact that we havent heard an update makes me think that he is staying overnight in Buffalo tonight, and checking out the night life, while his agent hammers out a deal with Overdorf. It will probably be announced that the Buffalo Bills have signed WR Bryant Johnson to a 5 year deal worth $25 million, around 2:30pm today. That's my guess. :up:

I agree, I think he will be signed at some point tomorrow

Tatonka
03-04-2008, 12:47 AM
5 years 25 million..

:puke:

DrGraves
03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
i hope we get johnson just to put josh reed aside... he's had his moment but ever since he dropped that wide open flea flicker bomb against the jags a few years back he's never been the same.