With the FA approach we've taken, I think it's safe to assume the following....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

With the FA approach we've taken, I think it's safe to assume the following....

Considering the way the Bills have gone about FA since Feb. 29 came around (concentrating heavily on defense first and making sure the players they wanted didn't get away, then moving to offense and filling holes with remaining FAs who can help).....and considering how the season ended with the Fairchild situation, I think we can assume Dick Jauron feels this way:

"The bad defense was mainly because of the players."
    "The bad offense was mainly because of the coaching."
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: With the FA approach we've taken, I think it's safe to assume the following....

Originally posted by Coach Sal
    Considering the way the Bills have gone about FA since Feb. 29 came around (concentrating heavily on defense first and making sure the players they wanted didn't get away, then moving to offense and filling holes with remaining FAs who can help).....and considering how the season ended with the Fairchild situation, I think we can assume Dick Jauron feels this way:

But I also think that a big, rangy 2nd WR and an athletic, pass catching TE will make Turk far superior to Fairchild.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Re: With the FA approach we've taken, I think it's safe to assume the following....

Hey Coach, do you think Billy Bob the O-lineman would agree with your statement?

Great stuff man LOL. Just heard it yesterday.

Comment

• Coach Sal
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        Hey Coach, do you think Billy Bob the O-lineman would agree with your statement?

Great stuff man LOL. Just heard it yesterday.
        Hahahahaha! Thanks for listening!!!

Billy Bob is one dude Dick (nor Marv) would consider after listening to him speak.
        Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          But I also think that a big, rangy 2nd WR and an athletic, pass catching TE will make Turk far superior to Fairchild.
          We don't need one big bodied #2 WR. We need two of them, plus a big pass catching TE. We currently have too many short quick WRs on our roster.

Keep Evans, Parrish and Reed. Sign Johnson, draft Kelly, and Carlson. Dump all the rest of WRs.

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

You have to agree losing Everett and price that early did help either.
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              I agree.

But let's face it: the offense was bad last year. And if they felt it was because they simply didn't have good enough players, they would have targeted at least someone on that side of the ball before the first 72 hours of FA had expired.

I think the approach taken speaks volumes about what DJ thought of the job Fairchild did not do.
              Click to listen:

Comment

• acehole
                • Jan 2006

I agree.

But let's face it: the offense was bad last year. And if they felt it was because they simply didn't have good enough players, they would have targeted at least someone on that side of the ball before the first 72 hours of FA had expired.

I think the approach taken speaks volumes about what DJ thought of the job Fairchild did not do.
                I agree but it is much easier and dumber to just blame JP.
                Hated by the stupid..
                Loved by their moms.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Doesn't it really mean that we spent big on offensive free agents last year and the improvement of the offense is heavily tied to the development of the teams young quarterback?

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

I agree.

Coach, don't you read the boards? Coaching doesn't matter.....

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

So why are Johnson and Troupe in town?
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                        They aren't the level of players that Mitchell and Stroud are. On most teams they would be depth.

Comment

• colin
                          Drew's my hero!
                          • Jul 2002

that's a fair point.

i do think dick realizes we had a talent problem last year on O tho. he looks to be signing a decent FA wr in johnson and i think a couple high picks (i have them slotted for 2nd and 3rd round) will be spent on WR and TE.

the thing is our o line being big and IMO pretty friggen good and together longer helps. our entire backfield is now in its second year which is a nice plus too.

on D, obviously we just need guys. the way i see it, if you add a good player on D he makes the D better. he has a job and he can just do it.

if you add a WR (say) to O, the QB has to read the D, throw the ball, the line and backs have to block for the WR to make a play. there are more moving parts.

you add a stud like stroud and a good young guy like johnson to the line, you have more fresh legs to fire at opponents and with stroud you have more guys behind him freed up.

Comment

• Meathead
                            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                            • Jul 2002

great point sal but you forgot one key element

ralph is cheap
                            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Coach Sal
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Philagape
                              I explained why in my post.

If the Bills felt those positions were so vital to improve, why weren't they in town the first three days of free agency? Why weren't other guys from the same positions in town? Why were none signed? Or even re-signed?

Look, I'm not saying I agree with the statements, I'm simply saying that DJ's feelings are easy to conclude looking at what approach the organization took here.
                              Click to listen:

Comment

Working...
                              X