PDA

View Full Version : So how long

Bill Brasky
03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
before we start seeing "Ralph is only signing big talent to showcase in Toronto for an eventual move" threads? i'm surprised there haven't been any yet.

clumping platelets
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
This has been already suggested and there is no doubt it has an influence on the decisions being made

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
before we start seeing "Ralph is only signing big talent to showcase in Toronto for an eventual move" threads? i'm surprised there haven't been any yet.
It's already been said.

RockStar36
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, sorry for the letdown jfree.

Bill Brasky
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
must be they got lost amongst the "bryant johnson has almost signed but not really just yet but maybe" threads.

i do find it interesting that this franchise has laid eggs the past decade in free agency. but since toronto has cranes and construction going on it makes sense to finally spend money on the team? the writing is no doubt on the wall... where's patti? i don't know if i stocked up on enough canned goods.

ptd86
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
i like the moves and everything, but why is this year so different? they signed dockery and walker to big contracts last year, its not like mitchell, stroud and them got really big contracts or anything? its just solid moves, they didnt have anyone to resign or they probably would of let them go like last year. I dont know why everyone is saying this is because of toronto it seems like a typical free agency period from them, just better moves, were not paying more though

ParanoidAndroid
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
So, when we signed Spikes, Fletcher, Milloy, Adams, was it just for fun? I think the FO realizes we have some solid youth on the team and it was time to get some FA's that could push us over the top. A record playoff drought tends to light fires under asses, too.

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
So, when we signed Spikes, Fletcher, Milloy, Adams, was it just for fun? I think the FO realizes we have some solid youth on the team and it was time to get some FA's that could push us over the top. A record playoff drought tends to light fires under asses, too.
I really hate this argument. Aside from Spikes none of those guys were all-stars. It's not like we were signing perennial Pro Bowlers or something.

hydro
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I really hate this argument. Aside from Spikes none of those guys were all-stars. It's not like we were signing perennial Pro Bowlers or something.

Mitchell is a perennial pro bowler?

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Mitchell is a perennial pro bowler?
Did I say he was?

ddaryl
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Heck if a couple of Toronto games a year means the Bills get to spend money then lets shake hands with Toronto-orians

I think big name FA's would like the thought of being affiliated with a big market like Toronto. Being the only NFL team to play in Canada we can be the main NFL team for the entire Country which would bring some nice exposure.

but this only works for me if the Bills primarily remain in Buffalo

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Heck if a couple of Toronto games a year means the Bills get to spend money then lets shake hands with Toronto-orians

I think big name FA's would like the thought of being affiliated with a big market like Toronto. Being the only NFL team to play in Canada we can be the main NFL team for the entire Country which would bring some nice exposure.

but this only works for me if the Bills primarily remain in Buffalo
We'll know over the next couple of years if the trend continues, so far I like it.

hydro
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I dunno. How is this year different than the FO approach in 2002?

ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Milloy? Pro-bowler. Adams? Pro-bowler Spikes? Pro-bowler. Fletcher? Often mentioned as shunned but should have made it.

:oops:

Meathead
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
chalph is reap

justasportsfan
03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
they were big named players. Throw in Bledsoe in there who was a perenial probowler.

gr8slayer
03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Milloy? Pro-bowler. Adams? Pro-bowler Spikes? Pro-bowler. Fletcher? Often mentioned as shunned but should have made it.

:oops:
Maybe you should check the definition of the word "perennial" again.

EDS
03-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Maybe you should. Stroud I think is a three time pro-bowler, with his last appearance in 2006 (so following the 2005 season). Milloy was a 4 time pro-bowler before coming to the Bills and Sam Adams was at least a two time pro-bowl player as well. Add in Spikes and . . .

venis2k1
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
per·en·ni·al (p-rn-l)
adj.
1. Lasting or active through the year or through many years.
a. Lasting an indefinitely long time; enduring: perennial happiness.
b. Appearing again and again; recurrent. See Synonyms at continual.

gr8slayer
03-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Maybe you should. Stroud I think is a three time pro-bowler, with his last appearance in 2006 (so following the 2005 season). Milloy was a 4 time pro-bowler before coming to the Bills and Sam Adams was at least a two time pro-bowl player as well. Add in Spikes and . . .
Appearing three or four times in a 10+ year career does not make you a perennial Pro Bowler or all-pro for that matter. Stroud has nothing to do with the current issue at hand, he in my eyes is/was an elite player, especially before the injury. If you would go back and actually read my post I'm referring to our past signings. We weren't signing elite talent at the time minus Spikes.

ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
First you said none of them were all-stars which is the equivalent of All-pro. Perennial is an awfully tall order.
I just assumed you were exaggerating your point since there are very, very few players who go perennially. Besides that, you can probably count on one hand how many of those were sent into FA in the prime of their careers during the past 5 or 6 years.
If you are not exaggerating, then you aren't being reasonable at all. That would make the conversation pointless.
I think you don't like that argument because it makes too much sense.

gr8slayer
03-04-2008, 05:11 PM
First you said none of them were all-stars which is the equivalent of All-pro. Perennial is an awfully tall order.
I just assumed you were exaggerating your point since there are very, very few players who go perennially. Besides that, you can probably count on one hand how many of those were sent into FA in the prime of their careers during the past 5 or 6 years.
If you are not exaggerating, then you aren't being reasonable at all. That would make the conversation pointless.
I think you don't like that argument because it makes too much sense.
Or perhaps I didn't view any of the players (minus Spikes) as being anything other than average players.

ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep....your average pro-bowlers.