PDA

View Full Version : Jets have SPENT a ton, and arent that much better

X-Era
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
than us.

We have spent like nothing and landed good players.

Adding a big WR like Johnson or drafting Kelly, Hardy, or Sweed makes this a very productive year.

njsue
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
They still have a HUGE QB Issue!!!

gr8slayer
03-03-2008, 05:38 PM
And we dont?

The last buffalo fan
03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
And we dont?

No.

So relax Taco!

njsue
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
And we dont?

The bills are far better off than GANGREEN. Pennington is close to being shot. Kellen Clemmens FLAT OUT STINKS.

Trent Edwards is better than Clemmens.

njsue
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
No.

So relax Taco!

Si Senor! :;

askabry
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
They might have spent alot, but ... I'd have to give it up to them. They certainly are the most improved team on paper in the NFL. Plus ... they still have a top draft pick to use.

(I say that and still think they wasted WAAAAYYY too much money. That Pace contract is obscene, and so is the money they put on Woody.)

streetkings01
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
2008 Jets = 2007 49ers

don137
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
I think the Jets got some good players however I think they overspent on all of them. You keep overspending like that and you end up like the Redskins and have decent but not championship caliber team.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Pace and Jenkins, very nice.
Comparable to Stroud and Mitchell for sure.

Ickybaluky
03-03-2008, 06:35 PM
The bills are far better off than GANGREEN. Pennington is close to being shot. Kellen Clemmens FLAT OUT STINKS.

Trent Edwards is better than Clemmens.

I think Edwards has potential and would take him over Clemens, but Chad Pennington is better than Losman. Pennington has shown he can actually win games in the NFL.

I don't think either team is "set" at QB. They both have questions.

feelthepain
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
I think the Jets now have the best Oline in the division, between last year and this they have made some real solid additions. I think the Jets are by far the biggest winners in FA. I think the Pats are the biggest losers in FA. However, they can afford to be. Everyone in the division has made changes, we'll see who made the best decisions later this year.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
And we dont?

I knew that was comin'

patmoran2006
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
They haven't gotten better?
How is their OL line not a TON better with Faneca, one of the elite guards in football? THey also signed Damien Woody today.

Pace may not be Briggs, but he's a big upgrade for them and fits a 3-4 perfectly.... And last but not least, Jenkins.. He's the SAME kind of DT, in fact near situation as Stroud too.

They've improved, just like Buffalo and Miami thus far.

X-Era
03-03-2008, 06:46 PM
How is their OL line not a TON better with Faneca, one of the elite guards in football? THey also signed Damien Woody today.

Pace may not be Briggs, but he's a big upgrade for them and fits a 3-4 perfectly.... And last but not least, Jenkins.. He's the SAME kind of DT, in fact near situation as Stroud too.

They've improved, just like Buffalo and Miami thus far.

Not what I said. Please re-read.

I said they arent that much better than us. Yet, they spent a ton more. They also lost or look to lose alot. Erik Coleman-gone, Dewayne Robertson- most likely gone, Johnathan Vilma- gone

Faneca is a great signing for anyone, but they dont have a stud RB and also have a questionable QB. Jenkins may be an upgrade, Robertson is a good player.

They spent a bizzilion including 8 mill per for Calvin Pace? and havent done that much more than we have.

feelthepain
03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
....update, I may have spoken to soon!

Just got this from finheaven, it seems the Jets may have just over extended themselves:

Originally Posted by Cuzinfinny http://dolphinsnation.com/forums/_new/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1062369839#post1062369839)
ROBERTSON DEAL ISN'T HAPPENING

For the second time since Friday, a deal that the Bengals thought they'd make to upgrade a subpar defense has fallen apart.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that the trade between the Jets and the Bengals for New York defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson is off.

The sticking point was Cincy's insistence that Robertson re-do a contract that is set to pay him $9.8 million in 2008.

whats even more amusing is that they guaranteed Woody $9M...and signed Pace $22M guaranteed...so in all,$31M is automatically gone.And the Robertson deal would have supported the Pace deal,but it fell through.So,if the Jets aren't in the red,their definately broke.I guarantee their shopping the pick,I don't even think they'll be able to sign anybody.Man,the Jets made some pretty stupid moves since the FA period.As is Faneca and Jenkins were'nt enough...which was good,then they try to go out and get Woody and Pace.Somebody has to tell the Jets that this isn't Madden...you can just add everyone,and no suffer consequences or clear your cap saleries or even restart.

LOL....I bet their starting to panic,because the Pace deal hasn't even been a full 24 hrs. yet,and already karma is starting to show its *****y side...

streetkings01
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM

They've improved, just like Buffalo and Miami thus far.They still have D'Bust at LT losing weight while I'm typing!

Jan Reimers
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM

I said they arent that much better than us. Yet, they spent a ton more. They also lost or look to lose alot. Erik Coleman-gone, Dewayne Robertson- most likely gone, Johnathan Vilma- gone

Faneca is a great signing for anyone, but they dont have a stud RB and also have a questionable QB. Jenkins may be an upgrade, Robertson is a good player.

They spent a bizzilion including 8 mill per for Calvin Pace? and havent done that much more than we have.
I agree. Faneca has been great, but is getting older, they DID trade Robertson, and they WAY overpaid for Pace, who is a very average player. Woody is a big gamble.

I think they have lost almost as much as they have gained, and have not addressed their biggest offensive needs - QB, RB and LT. When will D' Brick develop into the greatest LT in the history of football, or at least a better than average O lineman?

streetkings01
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I could've sworn Big Ben and Kitna were running for their lives this season?

Mahdi
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Pace and Jenkins, very nice.
Comparable to Stroud and Mitchell for sure.
No way... not IMO.... we gave Kawika Mithcell 5 years $17mil with something around 5 mil SB... they paid Pace 42mil over 6 years with a $20 mil SB... thats insane... The Bills are shopping smart... Jets are crazy...

We can also compare what we gave Dockery to what they gave Faneca...

Dockery is getting 7 mil a season and he is only 27... Faneca is getting 8 mil a season @ 31... IMO were on a much better track than the Jets...

Also compare Langston Walker who got virtually the same deal that they gave to Woody. Walker is 28... Woody is 30

Saratoga Slim
03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
No way... not IMO.... we gave Kawika Mithcell 5 years $17mil with something around 5 mil SB... they paid Pace 42mil over 6 years with a $20 mil SB... thats insane... The Bills are shopping smart... Jets are crazy...

Dockery is getting 7 mil a season and he is only 27... Faneca is getting 8 mil a season @ 31... IMO were on a much better track than the Jets...

Also compare Langston Walker who got virtually the same deal that they gave to Woody. Walker is 28... Woody is 30

Good post.

Owen DeBoard
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I hate to say it but with their new o-line they can make an average running back turn into a superstar. Thomas Jones ran pretty good behind a bears o-line that was pretty good when they went to the superbowl. The Jets are building smart by starting with both lines on each side of the ball. You have to establish the o-line before you get a good qb.

bflojohn
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Just for the record, Sirius NFL radio had Pat Kirwan on today and he was talking about the acquisition of Jenkins and basically said the guy was 390 lbs. at the end of '07. They don't have much faith in him to anchor their run defense by occupying two linemen! In summation, they were literally laughing at the prospect! Tim Ryan played DL for the Bears in the early 90's and concurred with the assessment. Calvin Pace was bust material until someone in Cardinalville actually had an appifany and switched him to OLB. He is injury prone too!!

Ickybaluky
03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Calvin Pace was bust material until someone in Cardinalville actually had an appifany and switched him to OLB. He is injury prone too!!

It is true Pace did not establish himself until moved to 3-4 OLB, but he flourished in that scheme (which is what the Jets play).

Also, I'm not sure how you can call him injury prone. The only significant action he missed in a 5-year NFL career was in 2005, when he lacerated his arm after putting it through a window while wrestling with a friend. The Cards put him on the NFI list and didn't pay him his salary, so he probably learned his lesson.

Other than that, the guy has basically never been hurt seriously. He never missed a game to injury in college (Wake Forest).

jamze132
03-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I think Edwards has potential and would take him over Clemens, but Chad Pennington is better than Losman. Pennington has shown he can actually win games in the NFL.

I don't think either team is "set" at QB. They both have questions.
And if Tom Brady missed an entire season, you guys would be 6-10 like the rest of us... You seriously need to add some depth back there since its only a question of when will Brady get hurt. He got pretty banged up in the Super Bowl and if he has to endure a few games like that each year, its only a matter of time. Now I don't think by any means your O-line is bad, they just had a bad game at the wrong time. But the guys blocking for the best QB in the NFL had better bring their A-game each and every week.

jamze132
03-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I think the Jets now have the best Oline in the division, between last year and this they have made some real solid additions. I think the Jets are by far the biggest winners in FA. I think the Pats are the biggest losers in FA. However, they can afford to be. Everyone in the division has made changes, we'll see who made the best decisions later this year.
LOL...

The Pats had how many Pro Bowlers on the O-line last year?

Ickybaluky
03-04-2008, 04:47 AM
And if Tom Brady missed an entire season, you guys would be 6-10 like the rest of us... You seriously need to add some depth back there since its only a question of when will Brady get hurt. He got pretty banged up in the Super Bowl and if he has to endure a few games like that each year, its only a matter of time. Now I don't think by any means your O-line is bad, they just had a bad game at the wrong time. But the guys blocking for the best QB in the NFL had better bring their A-game each and every week.

'kay. This kind of came out of left field. Feel better?

djjimkelly
03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

and we dont lol i guess edwards 40% in december was a mirage

TedMock
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I think the Jets improved significantly - at least on paper. It all depends on age and injury for them now. Before injury, Kris Jenkins was THE best DT in the league. If he gets back to form - look out. While Dwayne Robertson is a nice ball player, he doesn't fit Mangini's defense. Same with Vilma. Both would do well in Buffalo's defense. Mangini made the mistake of trying to force a system onto players it wasn't built for. He should have done them, and himself, a favor two years ago and either made the moves or work with a different scheme to start with. Anyway, on the o-line, the same deal holds true. If Faneca and Woody are healthy and haven't aged, they're in great shape. Few teams have a real "special" QB. The cliche' holds true as we've seen. You win and lose in the trenches. Buffalo has addressed that problem as well. O-line, and to a lesser extent, DLine singings are largely underappreciated by fans outside of that team. I'm a firm believer in building a team from the ball - out, then drafting the best players available to plug in as contracts come up, age becomes a factor etc. See NE for a great formula. I think we're going into the draft for the first time in years with the ability to draft the best football player on our board. Sure, we still have a couple of holes, but none so grossly glaring that we have to sacrifice in the draft.

Mahdi
03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
I think the Jets improved significantly - at least on paper. It all depends on age and injury for them now. Before injury, Kris Jenkins was THE best DT in the league. If he gets back to form - look out. While Dwayne Robertson is a nice ball player, he doesn't fit Mangini's defense. Same with Vilma. Both would do well in Buffalo's defense. Mangini made the mistake of trying to force a system onto players it wasn't built for. He should have done them, and himself, a favor two years ago and either made the moves or work with a different scheme to start with. Anyway, on the o-line, the same deal holds true. If Faneca and Woody are healthy and haven't aged, they're in great shape. Few teams have a real "special" QB. The cliche' holds true as we've seen. You win and lose in the trenches. Buffalo has addressed that problem as well. O-line, and to a lesser extent, DLine singings are largely underappreciated by fans outside of that team. I'm a firm believer in building a team from the ball - out, then drafting the best players available to plug in as contracts come up, age becomes a factor etc. See NE for a great formula. I think we're going into the draft for the first time in years with the ability to draft the best football player on our board. Sure, we still have a couple of holes, but none so grossly glaring that we have to sacrifice in the draft.
I agree with all that you have said... my only point is that the Jets are paying their top qulaity players who are older more money than we are paying our younger top quality players....

we have a young qb, rb, wrs...

although their QB is young, their RB is older as is their top WR. Thomas Jones is 29 now and Coles is 30.

On top of all that we have a defensive system that has been in place 2 years now and players that fit our system and have plenty of experience in it.... the Jets still have to see if their guys can learn to play the 3-4.....

Can anyone think of any examples of good FA linemen who went from playing 4-3 to excelling in a 3-4?

TedMock
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I agree with all that you have said... my only point is that the Jets are paying their top qulaity players who are older more money than we are paying our younger top quality players....

we have a young qb, rb, wrs...

although their QB is young, their RB is older as is their top WR. Thomas Jones is 29 now and Coles is 30.

On top of all that we have a defensive system that has been in place 2 years now and players that fit our system and have plenty of experience in it.... the Jets still have to see if their guys can learn to play the 3-4.....

Can anyone think of any examples of good FA linemen who went from playing 4-3 to excelling in a 3-4?

I honestly don't know what D-line succeeded or failed when switching systems. I think Jenkins is a unique talent that can play any system, but he's rare.

As for the age thing, I completely agree with you. We are definitely ahead of the Jets in that regard. One of the things that hurt us over the last 2 years has been youth. Now, the team is young, but experienced and we have a handful of grizzled vets to continue teaching. I think we're in a better position than the Jets. And yes, we certainly got the better bargains for the talent we picked up. Now, the draft and the QB play on both teams will be telling as well.

EDS
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM

McFadden sure will look good behind that revamped Jets line.

mysticsoto
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
So now what are they going to do?

The Bengals reportedly may have backed out of their proposed trade for Jets DT Dewayne Robertson due to a bone-on-bone condition in his knee.

Are they going to keep him as backup? Trade him cheaper? Maybe for a 5th instead of a 3rd and 5th???

Ickybaluky
03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Are they going to keep him as backup? Trade him cheaper? Maybe for a 5th instead of a 3rd and 5th???

They aren't going to keep him. He has a $3M roster bonus due in June and $6.8M salary, for a guy that doesn't fit their defense. That isn't backup money.

They are probably going to keep trying to trade him, but if they can't they will cut him in June.

justasportsfan
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Just when I thought Ralph overpaid for both Dockery and Walker, after this post to go with what we paid Mitchell/Stroud ............ Ralph is a cheap bastard.

patmoran2006
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
$74 in guarentees with their Fa's..
Too much money.

baalworship
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
The Jets look a lot better on paper. Their big problem is QB and until they get that right they won't challenge anyone.

The Bills have issues there too but I would put more money on Edwards making a step next than Kellen Clemons. Edwards just needs to practice in the snow and we will be fine.

ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Edwards played in two wind storms that were extreme even for WNY and Cleveland in December. How many dropped balls were there during the Cleveland game?

DrGraves
03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
ummm the jets definitely improved. that are you talking about. plus they'll have mcfadden too.

jamze132
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
'kay. This kind of came out of left field. Feel better?
Yeah it did...:oops: Still true though...