PDA

View Full Version : The bills will take a CB in the first round of the draft...

Ebenezer
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Just the way it is breaking down I don't think Greer has enough to be the starter...great nickel guy. I think them letting Thomas go also indicates the plans.

CB in the first round.

njsue
03-03-2008, 05:48 PM
:pray: DRC

Confused
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Impressive to be so certain about such a thing. congrats.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Terrell Thomas or Reggie Smith in the 2nd!

DBrown77
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
agree, unless we don't sign a FA receiver.

T-Long
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I think it all depends on if we land Johnson or not...if we do, it will be Talib or McKelvin. I do like DRC though...but I don't think he is better than the previous two

don137
03-03-2008, 05:55 PM
The thing abot the DB position there are a lot of great DBs available in round 1. If they like a few different ones and they are available at #1 they could trade down a few spots.

B-DON
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Greer is better than Terrence McGetburnt

The last buffalo fan
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
No with our first pick, and not at the spot numero 11! :pray:

The thing abot the DB position there are a lot of great DBs available in round 1. If they like a few different ones and they are available at #1 they could trade down a few spots.

:hi5:

Terrell Thomas or Reggie Smith in the 2nd!

:up:

Jan Reimers
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm back to liking Malcolm Kelley in the first, a CB in the second, and a TE in the third. Regardless of whether we sign Bryant Johnson.

But I may change tomorrow.

X-Era
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Just the way it is breaking down I don't think Greer has enough to be the starter...great nickel guy. I think them letting Thomas go also indicates the plans.

CB in the first round.

As of right now, we dont have a #2 WR so to call this definitively at this point is premature.

Tatonka
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
i hate the CB in the first round idea.

and i also think that greer and mcgee are starters.

greer was great last year and i cant believe some of you think he should be replaced based on what we saw.

realdealryan
03-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Greer was a great surprise.

Our corners can get beat by the jump ball to a tall receiver, especially in man coverage in the end zone. Surprise. Who doesn't?

X-Era
03-03-2008, 06:25 PM

greer was great last year and i cant believe some of you think he should be replaced based on what we saw.

I think that 1) Kelly 2) Flowers is stronger than 1) DRC 2) Hardy

Just MO

patmoran2006
03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I wouldnt jump to that conclusion; EVEN if we land a good FA WR. I could still see them taking Kelly or Sweed at #11, or maybe even trading down and going after the TE Davis.

I think McGee and Greer will be better with a BETTER front seven.. CB will DEFINITELY be addressed in the draft, but not necessarily in round one. Now of course, maybe some CB blows them away and we don't know about it.

But overall, I think we could still go WR just as easily as CB.. Or like I said, trade down for a TE, or perhaps even a top rated center or guard. Lots of possibilities and the more decent guys we sign now, the more things we can do on draft day.

Al the Bills Fan
03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Not if we don't land a WR in FA. If we end up signing a WR then we may go after a CB in round 1, even then we may still sign another WR.

jmb1099
03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Kelly or Sweed

VeggieMan14
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Kelly or Sweed Definately unless we sign BJ in which case i would wait for hardy in round 2. any more news on BJ i had to get blood tests?

jmb1099
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Definately unless we sign BJ in which case i would wait for hardy in round 2. any more news on BJ i had to get blood tests?
None yet.
But even still, Kelly or Sweed in the first.

realdealryan
03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, a cover 2 team doesn't go corner in round one, or pay a corner big loot in FA. Less plausible every second.

VeggieMan14
03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
None yet.
But even still, Kelly or Sweed in the first. I agree with BJ its still a viable option but if we get BJ iwoould prefer DRC with our first but its a win win

jmb1099
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm hoping if I type kelly or sweed 1000 times it will be a reality
So with that in mind...
Kelly or Sweed

jmb1099
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I agree with BJ its still a viable option but if we get BJ iwoould prefer DRC with our first but its a win win
Wouldn't break my heart either, but...
Kelly or Sweed
I think that's like 996 to go or something

VeggieMan14
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Wouldn't break my heart either, but...
Kelly or Sweed
I think that's like 996 to go or something haha ur close

TigerJ
03-03-2008, 08:47 PM
If Buffalo signs a WR with some size, then I think CB is the odds on favorite to be the Bills' first pick. If the Bills don't snag Bryant Johnson or Hackett, then it's not such a sure thing.

mikemac2001
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
If Buffalo signs a WR with some size, then I think CB is the odds on favorite to be the Bills' first pick. If the Bills don't snag Bryant Johnson or Hackett, then it's not such a sure thing.

If we sign a WR i think we trade down and go for CB then work on lines and grab another TE and WR

Mr. Pink
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Trae Williams in Rd3 or Darnell Terrell in Rd4.

mysticsoto
03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I think that 1) Kelly 2) Flowers is stronger than 1) DRC 2) Hardy

Just MO

Flowers? The guy is tiny. Is our secondary corps going to be full of midgets? How are any of them going to be able to cover the likes of Moss? It's time we added some size both to our WR corps and our defensive backs also!!!

mysticsoto
03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, a cover 2 team doesn't go corner in round one, or pay a corner big loot in FA. Less plausible every second.

While normally this is true and I'd be agreeing with you 100%, there are indications that they will move away from pure cover 2 and become more of a hybrid cover 2 (that we will likely not know until we see). I, for one, welcome this. A pure cover 2 is well known by coaches and veteran QBs and they can counter it with ease by looking for the hole to throw to. A hybrid cover 2 that might perhaps employ random blitz attacks from different personnel/angles might throw a wrench in their attacks. I miss Lebeau...his blitz attacks were great.

bflojohn
03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
All I want under the tree on April 26th (It's like Christmas) is an impact player! A pure starter, out of the gate, that fans will recognize early as a standout talent. That's not too much to ask for, is it?? I think at #11 that could be Derrick Harvey, Leodis McKelvin, or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. The plot thickens.....

kernowboy
03-04-2008, 02:28 AM
I think we definitely need height in the secondary for taller receivers - DRC is over 6ft, is the fastest corner and has a great vertical leap.

No way should we take Sweed or Kelly at No11. They are bigger reaches than DRC and come with injury and speed concerns.

Davis is the maybe the best TE this year, but he's not so far ahead of the rest and is danger of being over rated. There isn't a real standout TE this year compared to previous years. None are a Vernon Davis or even a Heath Miller.

mybills
03-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Agree. They're both worth starting. Do these people really think that position was the biggest problem last year? It wasn't all passing they had to defend, it was a lot of running because the stupid line kept letting the opponent through. Fixing the line is more important!

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Agree. They're both worth starting. Do these people really think that position was the biggest problem last year? It wasn't all passing they had to defend, it was a lot of running because the stupid line kept letting the opponent through. Fixing the line is more important!

Well, duh.

That is why they signed/traded for Stroud and Spencer Johnson. So they addressed the line in FA. They do need CB's. McGee is an OK #2 CB and Greer a good nickelback. But they need more talent back there. Neither is good enough on his own to cover #1 WR's.

mybills
03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Don't duh me. It's that #2 comment that I totally disagree with. And the 1st round pick being a cb. :shakeno:

Dr. Lecter
03-04-2008, 07:27 AM
I know you like McGee, but he got burned too much last year. CBs are very important and you can never have too many. With the lack of depth at that position, it makes sense, especially with no top notch TE's in the draft this year.

mybills
03-04-2008, 07:30 AM
But a CB in the first round? :cynic:

mybills
03-04-2008, 07:32 AM
They're gonna do whatever the hell they want anyway. Remember needing to fix our D before, only they picked McGahee first? :dizzy:

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Im starting to lean on DE in the first round if we are able to address our WR situation in FA. If we dont go DE, id like to slide back in the first and take CB. People can say all they want about cover two, and how the importance of a CB blah blah blah, but all i know is Randy Moss raped us last year. Greer and Mcgees midget ass's aint gonna cut it. There is no CB that I think is worth taking at 11 imo, but it would be smart to move back to the early 20s and take a CB while getting an extra pick.

mysticsoto
03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
But a CB in the first round? :cynic:

If we fill all our needs positions (meaning we get a WR in FA), then why not? Have you seen DRC ? Watch his Senior Bowl performance and his combine performance. You might find yourself singing a different tune! At almost 6'2" and running under 4.3 (faster than Evans and pretty much anyone we have on our team) pretty much no QB is going to be able to throw to his area of coverage!!! And McGee is okay, but he will look better against a #2 WR - DRC automatically improves him also!

TedMock
03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
CB is still a need as is WR, but I think they're in a position now to go best player available. Having said that, a 4.28, long body running around in the defensive backfield sounds the most logical to me. DRC it is.

Overall, I don't think these signings should completely change our draft philosophy. Only that the order of positions we pick may change in order to remain close to the BPA theory. I'd still like a CB and WR in the first 3 rounds and a LB and DT in the first 4 rounds. If that all makes sense. For example, say Erin Henderson or Dre Moore is sitting there in the 3rd. They would most likely constitute BPA (or close to it) at that point. So, you grab them even though we just signed players at that position. Both Terps, I know, but I'm a shameless and biased alum.

DRC and Hardy sound good to me at 1 and 2, if available. Although I'm less in love with Hardy.

I'd like a TE as well, but I don't think the top-tier talent is there this year and I'd hate to over-reach for one.