X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bflojohn
    • Aug 2005

Thinking about '08 season

The more I think about how the Bills plan to contend in 2008, it is dawning on me that with a very young QB, the running game better be firing on all cylinders! My thought is that the Bills need to make the 11th pick a trade available option for teams interested in Brohm, Mendenhall, Clady or any guy high on the other teams list. If they trade down, getting OG Brandon Albert would solidify the OL to the point of dominance! Then with the extra pick acquired in that trade, the TE and #2 WR can be had. I'm wanting the balance to run left or right with equal results. The draft, to me, now must look something like this...
    1.) Brandon Albert, OG, Virginia
    2A.) Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
    2B.) Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
    3.) Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
    4.) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
    5.) Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State
    6.) Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
    7A.) Lionel Dotson, DT, Arizona
    7B.) Cory Bird, RB, South Carolina
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Thinking about '08 season

It will be a CB or taller WR first, OG is like a later round need.

Comment

• DBrown77
      Watching the Bills suck since 1999
      • Mar 2005

Are there any good Centers available?

Comment

• bflojohn
        • Aug 2005

I definately appreciate the needs aspect, however, when the Bills had a dominant line in the late 80's and early 90's, they made themselves Super Bowl regulars, four years running! This is a deep draft for WR and CB, so concievably you can get the players you need at those positions later (see Bowman). In my mock, Rachal would be the center option to replace Fowler. The thing about Albert is that he's a dancing bear who would pave the way for Marshawn Lynch. Rachal is a mean, stocky guy who played at USC.... he is ready to play out of the gate!! The offense would be rounded out with Bennett and Bowman, and the line would be excellent!

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

I brought up the possibility of drafting an OG to compete with Butler in another thread, but no one seems to think that there are any really good guards coming out. At least not any worthy of a first round pick. If there are though, I'd be all for it. Assuming we add another WR and TE in free agency.

Are there any good OT's we could grab in the first that could transition to G well for a couple seasons?

Comment

• bflojohn
            • Aug 2005

In the later rounds, Mike Gibson of California, played OT in College but is destined to work at OG in the pros. Very aggressive player who lifted well at the combine. Jeremy Zuttah from Rutgers is also a OG conversion. He is a center posibility in the NFL too. He is 6'3" 299 lbs. which is pretty good size inside.

Comment

• Mski
              • Mar 2006

while any improvement on an offensive line is always welcome the only ""hole we had last year was at center, however the bills have enough other holes to fill ie: CB WR TE FB, that center can wait
              RIP Tommy D!
              12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

I would never take an OG or Center in the 1st round, and I don't think we need either one as high as the third. Our O line is pretty damned good, particularly at pass blocking. We could probably use a better Center, but we have far greater needs.

And Butler is developing into a fine RG. We don't need to replace him.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by bflojohn
                  The more I think about how the Bills plan to contend in 2008, it is dawning on me that with a very young QB, the running game better be firing on all cylinders! My thought is that the Bills need to make the 11th pick a trade available option for teams interested in Brohm, Mendenhall, Clady or any guy high on the other teams list. If they trade down, getting OG Brandon Albert would solidify the OL to the point of dominance! Then with the extra pick acquired in that trade, the TE and #2 WR can be had. I'm wanting the balance to run left or right with equal results. The draft, to me, now must look something like this...
                  1.) Brandon Albert, OG, Virginia
                  2A.) Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M
                  2B.) Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
                  3.) Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State
                  4.) Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
                  5.) Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State
                  6.) Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
                  7A.) Lionel Dotson, DT, Arizona
                  7B.) Cory Bird, RB, South Carolina
                  I think you have an extra 2nd round pick in there.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Don't Panic
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Dec 2005

Love the Albert props, bflojohn! Branden played hoops for me in high school (I was only an assistant) and since his first year at UVA, I've dreamt of him playing for the Bills. He's originally from Rochester, which makes him a local-grown talent as well. Brnaden will play tackle in the pros... he has said it, a lot of scouts have said it, even personnel guys... and since he is a better run blocker than pass blocker, I would imagine him at RT. If we could move Walker to RG, we could fit Branden in at RT. And yes... this would give us an extremely dominant line! This is a luxury pick, though - if we really want him, we'll have to get him at #22... and that is pretty high considering we have other needs - and I agree that Butler still may develop. Here's a great news pic of the big man playing basketball:

Comment

• bflojohn
                      • Aug 2005

Jan, the EXTRA pick would be a 2nd in the proposed "trade down" scenario! As for Brandon Albert, Bwbrenton, he's a full grown MAN in that shot. Could he play center, I wonder? He is massive and quick, that's why I called him a dancing bear! He was a man at the combine!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

I like the Brennan pick.

Comment

• eyedog
                          • Jul 2002

That's funny. I brought up the possibility of the Bills going o-line at #11 this morning. Maybe Clady or Williams. Of course the "experts here thought I was crazy. With no depth and the possibility of Clady moving inside I don't think it's out of the question.
                          Although I would still prefer a d-end at #11.

Comment

• bflojohn
                            • Aug 2005

I am a firm believer in the axiom that teams shouldn't care their depth chart into the War room on draft day! The late George Young of the New York Giants (G.M.) was a proponent of this philosophy. However, if the draft is strong where "you" need the most help (WR and TE) why not dabble in making another unit truly dominant, theoretically? Considering the notion that Trent Edwards needs all the help he can possibly have, why not Alberts, especially if they can fleece another team that invariably gets jumpy when their targeted guy is dangling there with the other "sharks" ready to pounce!! I'm loving the idea more and more.....

Comment

I don't think there are any college centers coming out who are able to immediately start and the problem is they are for the most part small, which is Fowler's problem.

At guard, Butler came along well, so he'll be stuck with. I could see Kirk Barton moving to G and being a decent player, and he should be there on Day2 as well.

I think there are other units such as the secondary which need addressing first and where No11 wouldn't be a reach either.

Comment

Working...
                              X